Need help starting with weight training.

Options
pobalita
pobalita Posts: 741 Member
I've been running fairly seriously for a few years now. I'm not great about cross-training, but I do go the the Y for core class and yoga a few times a week. I think that the core class has been good at getting me stronger and giving me a little muscle definition and I'd like to improve on that with weight training. I have no idea where to start.

I'd appreciate any words of advice. Should I get a trainer? Is there a favorite program people use? I belong to the YMCA so have access to gym equipment and trainers; but, to date, I've only used the cardio equipment.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Ultimately, anything that puts sufficient strain on your muscles will be effective. That means that the "proper" amount of weight will vary person to person. It also means that it will change over time.

Bodyweight work can be more than sufficient for most, though you may have to get creative as you get stronger since it's not as simple as just adding another plate to increase the resistance. Look up convict conditioning or you are your own gym. There are others, but those 2 are pretty well regarded.

Machines can also be more than fine. However, most machines tend to isolate muscles, so you may end up having to do more exercises for similar overall benefit than you would doing bodyweight work or using free weights.

Free weights are typically the gold standard (there are exceptions, obviously). Most commonly recommended programs on MFP are probably stronglifts and new rules of lifting, but there are TONS of good programs out there. What you go with is largely personal preference, and based on equipment, goals, time availability, etc.

As for a trainer... some people like them, some don't. If you want someone to show you the basics of how to use the equipment, they can be great. If you want someone to put together a program for you, they can be great. If you want someone you have to check in with to keep you accountable, they can be great. They can also be terrible (as with most any service provider). So a big part of getting a trainer is finding one you like who is knowledgeable in the things and goals important to you.
  • lovelyaib96
    lovelyaib96 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could start out with a personal trainer so they can help you out since you've done core classes and have seen results. Or you could research the amount of necessary reps and sets recommended and start from there without using a trainer, but since you have access to them it might be good to give it a try.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Ultimately, anything that puts sufficient strain on your muscles will be effective. That means that the "proper" amount of weight will vary person to person. It also means that it will change over time.

Bodyweight work can be more than sufficient for most, though you may have to get creative as you get stronger since it's not as simple as just adding another plate to increase the resistance. Look up convict conditioning or you are your own gym. There are others, those are simply 2 highly recommended ones.

Machines can also be more than fine. However, most machines tend to isolate muscles, so you may end up having to do more exercises for similar overall benefit than you would doing bodyweight work or using free weights.

Free weights are typically the gold standard (there are exceptions, obviously). Most commonly recommended programs on MFP are probably stronglifts and new rules of lifting, but there are TONS of good programs out there. What you go with is largely personal preference, and based on equipment, goals, time availability, etc.

As for a trainer... some people like them, some don't. If you want someone to show you the basics of how to use the equipment, they can be great. If you want someone to put together a program for you, they can be great. If you want someone you have to check in with to keep you accountable, they can be great. They can also be terrible (as with most any service provider). So a big part of getting a trainer is finding one you like who is knowledgeable in the things and goals important to you.

This post hits the spot.
    What I would add is: - machines have the downside that you don't train the muscles used for stabilizing when using free weights
    - Strong curves is supposedly another great barbell program.