stronglifts squats on smith machines

Options
airbent
airbent Posts: 150 Member
I started Stronglifts 5x5 this morning and I really like the structure of it as opposed to just faffing around with random exercises for strength training, which is what I was doing. I feel like I have a plan and I got something done at the end. Actually looking forward to going back on Thursday.

But I've been reading different forums at work today about it, and there's all this arguing about whether squatting with Smith machines is useless as opposed to barbell squats. Now my mind is a jumble and I'm wondering if I wasted my time squatting that way this morning. I felt like I was working!

My question-- as a mostly beginner lifter, eating in a deficit (so not about to gain muscle at this point), mostly just trying to burn fat and get stronger, does this Smith vs Power Rack debate apply to me? Does it matter which way I do it as long as I'm feeling the burn? I'm also worried about safety as I usually work out alone.

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Do you have available equipment for Barbell Squats in a power or safety rack? If so, then utilize it. It is a superior movement compared to a machine in a sense that the movement pattern is more realistic, and you would not be neglecting stabilizer muscles. Smith machine creates an unnatural bar path due to the fact that it's in a fixed path.

I wouldn't label them as "useless" per say, but you'll get way more bang for your buck with free weights generally speaking.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Do you have available equipment for Barbell Squats in a power or safety rack? If so, then utilize it. It is a superior movement compared to a machine in a sense that the movement pattern is more realistic, and you would not be neglecting stabilizer muscles. Smith machine creates an unnatural bar path due to the fact that it's in a fixed path.

I wouldn't label them as "useless" per say, but you'll get way more bang for your buck with free weights generally speaking.

This!

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Also, there are some safety issues with the Smith machine. No one's saying it's the same as laying on the couch, but it's so much better to do with with barbells.
    http://stronglifts.com/smith-machine-squats-power-rack-free-weights/

Good info. I thought this part was pretty funny:

Good Uses for The Smith Machine. Again: don’t Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift or Overhead Press using the Smith Machine. Here are some exercises you could do in all safety inside it:
    - Inverted Rows. Put the barbell somewhat lower than your belly height and use it for Inverted Rows.
    - Pull-ups. Use the Pull-up bar of the Smith Machine or set the bar high and do Pull-ups from there with your knees flexed.
    - Push-ups. Not strong enough yet for Push-ups? Put the barbell at belly height and do incline Push-ups. Lower the height as you get stronger.

They're essentially saying to use it as a fixed bar only. LOL

I used the Smith machine for squats many years ago and injured my back. I only use it for accessory movements now.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    This pretty much sums it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHBLxCPmnVc
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    1. The smith is less than ideal but a total waste of time is a bit of a stretch
    2. Feeling the burn isn't a real thing when it comes to 5x5
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Smith machine takes a lot of the compound out of squatting, as you've heard. A big part of the awesomeness of squatting is all of the muscles you work besides your legs. The smith machine takes quite a bit of that away. Smith machine squats are more of an isolation move quads or hams depending on stance.

SL5x5 is all about strength, not isolation. Barbell squats are the ways to go.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Start training yourself with the barbell. If you start doing it with the smith machine, when you do switch to barbell (and eventually you will likely want to), you'll see a big difference in what you can actually lift.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    If you have a proper squat rack definitely use it.
    I started SL without a squat rack. I did barbell squats till I could no longer safely get the bar up and over my head, then I had to switch to the smith rack. I don't love it that's for sure, and like others have said you miss out on a lot of the compound lift aspects, but I don't think it's totally useless and I know that for me it's temporary as I am going to be moving to a new house by the end of this year and so will then be getting a gym membership (rather than using the gym in the building I live now)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Smith machine squats look funny.
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input everyone, I definitely want to switch to barbell before I start adding any real weight. When I go in tomorrow for my second workout (DOMS be damned) I'm going to look for a different squat rack or power rack. The thing I used to do my bench presses might be it, but it had a horizontal bar that I had to duck under so I could lie on the bench. Hopefully that can be moved up and down. I feel like such a noob but I can't wait to get good at everything.
  • ungeneric
    ungeneric Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I get joint pains from Smith machine squats that I never get from barbell squats (and, consequently, I no longer do squats on the Smith machine!)