• gainesma
    gainesma Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • gainesma
    Options
    shmulyeng wrote: »
    Eliminating medication is the best NSV! Congratulations!

■■■abosolutely, think I've eliminated 400+ stomach injections...■■■
  • gainesma
    Options
    gainesma wrote: »
    I'm diabetic as well and I've been debating going back on a similar diet. It does work and it seems that I can only lose weight when I drastically restrict carbs. The stress on the kidneys from eating this was scares me a little.

Congrats keep up the good work.

■■■ A high protein diet can stress kidneys. A high fat diet does not. Usually a high protein diet is of concern if your kidneys are already weakened from disease or poor function. Ketogenics is a high fat & moderate protein and low carbohydrate program. It's highly satisfying to eat too. Wright loss is slower than Atkins at first because you are eating higher calories in fat. But after 3 to 4 weeks if you stick to it you will lose 2 to 3 lbs a week. When I started 11 weeks ago I was eating 3 to 4k calories per day with 75% coming from fats. By week 4-5 I noticed I was eating 1200 to 1600 calories per day while still eating 65 to 72% fats. As I adapted to fat burning I was needing less substance for energy because when I'm not eating I'm efficiently burning my own body fat...

Honestly read up on this ketogenic dieting on line with Dr Volkes, Noakes, Dr Attia and others have excellent youtube lectures. I especially liked the Dr Jason Fung series of videos regarding the etiology of obesity and diabetes lectures. I'm planning on adding intermittent and hard fasting to my plan as well...

I was shooting insulin 5 to 6 times a day. My doctors said get used to essentially...At one time I was taking 2000 mg of metformin, Novo log fast insulin injections for before meals and Lantus slow insulins at night before going to bed. I was indeed turning into a nonstop shoot me up human pin cushion.

By day 3 of eating ketogenics high fat moderate protein & low carbohydrate my sugars began to rapidly normalize. Prior to this diet approach I would have sugars swing from 55 to over 300 with 60 day averages in the 150 to 170 range. After starting ketogenics my sugars swing from 90 to 135 with 60 day averages of 115. ALL WITHOUT ANY DIABETES MEDICINES.MY BELLY IS MUCH HAPPIER NOW....

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

PS- maybe I eat 10 to 15% more protein but that's it. I'm not going crazy with meat. Instead I'll eat a green salad loaded fats like blue cheese & bacon crumbles, etc. You must remember that excess protein accumulates carbohydrates too & forces an insulin respone. Our battle is with high blood sugar and a typical tendency to over secrete insulin in response to carbs and sugars. Enjoy rich fat, moderate protein, severely restrict carbohydrate. You will have success...

• blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    It is now believed that following a low calorie diet (of any kind) will improve insulin resistance within one week. It is not just high protein / low carb diets that do this.

"After one week, those on the extreme low-calorie diet had pre-breakfast blood glucose levels close to normal. This was in line with decreasing fat levels in the pancreas."

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/newcastle-study-600-calorie-diet.html

However, I'm super pleased that your diabetes is in remission, well done and good luck :-)
  • gainesma
    Options
    It is now believed that following a low calorie diet (of any kind) will improve insulin resistance within one week. It is not just high protein / low carb diets that do this.

"After one week, those on the extreme low-calorie diet had pre-breakfast blood glucose levels close to normal. This was in line with decreasing fat levels in the pancreas."

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/newcastle-study-600-calorie-diet.html

However, I'm super pleased that your diabetes is in remission, well done and good luck :-)

■■■Yes this is true. A low calorie diet will indeed help high blood sugar because if you're not eating it will reduce insulin & high blood sugars. Fasting for long periods would also cure most symptoms of diabetes.

Fasting is harder to sustain though that a diet rich in fat, moderate in protein and low in carbohydrates. A sugar fast is highly effective too and coupled with high fat & moderate protein is sustainable.

I'm an advocate of both approaches and or mixing the two methods for maximum impact. ■■■
  • BodyandWellness
    BodyandWellness Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I am working to lower my blood sugars in the next 88 days! I am on day 4. 8-)
  • gainesma
    Options
    Congratulations!! I am working to lower my blood sugars in the next 88 days! I am on day 4. 8-)

■■■what approach are you using? I started seeing good success after 3 days of low carbohydrates high fat & moderate protein.

I understand hard & intermittent fasting works, caloric restriction works, and Atkins approaches all help greatly.

I'm hopeful ketogenics helps me not only with the symptoms here in the short term, but that as I lose viseral organ fat over time by lowering insulin levels a cure of my diabetes through diet.

This ketogenic diet for me has been easy to stick too... it helps greatly to learn about carbohydrates & sugars & to stay as far from them as possible. It's best to even fast or to eat fats over all other foods if you're overweight and/or metabolically challenged with insulin resistance.
  • gainesma
    Options
    That is amazing, I've heard before that once someone is on insulin it is hard to go back. If you don't mind me asking how long have you been a diabetic and for how long on insulin?

Over 2.5 years ago. Started at 7 units Novolog (fast insulin) before each meal. Then lantus (slow insulin at night 21 unit before bead.) So initially it was small dose before meal shots. I was taking up to 2000 mg a day in Metformin though too. I started that at 500 mg per day and was bumped up to 2000 mg slowly over a 6 week period.

As time progressed I was pulled off the metformin because it caused a heart arythmia and put me in the hospital at 190 beats per minute about 4 months after being on the higher dose.

This resulted in more insulin needs and my dosing was changed to a calculated number before each meal. This took me on average to 130 to 150 units of Novolog insulin per day 5 to 6 shots per day. I still needed Lantus insulin at night thst had increased to about 30+ units before bed. It was primarily used to help lower a dawn effect where I would always wake with fasting sugars as high as 170 every morning even if I went to bed with a normal blood sugar.

I was a mess and it was driving me nuts counting carbs, calculating insulins, taking finger sticks, taking injections, recheck ing 2 hours post of eating and adjusting dosing post recheck etc. You become a prisoner to insulin fast and the more you use it the dosing keeps getting g higher and higher. INSULIN RESISTANCE SUCKS.

ON MY 3RD DAY OF KETOGENIC EATING I COULD SEE HOPE THIS DIET WAS WORKING.

I decided no more pills, no more insulins. Just whole foods absent of or very low in carbohydrates in the presence of moderate protein and high fat would be my medicine.
    I went from swinging from 55 to over 300 with daily blood sugar to 90 - 135 in my first week. I went b from 60 day averages of 155 -170 with drugs to an average of 115 without drugs.

The weight loss is slower than Atkins, but I did this as a life style change So I'm quite pleased with 2 lbs . Of weight loss per week rate provided my sugars are under control and I can avoid gout and kidney stress from excess proteins. FAT is my new friend - it keeps me satisfied and it lowers my blood sugar naturally.

We don't tell a person with peanut allergies to eat more peanuts now do we? A diabetic in a sense is allergic to carbohydrates & sugars. The less we eat the better... Believe it or not most people are insulin resistant & don't even know it...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!