Job related not fitness related- what would you do?

Options
jmac4263
jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
If you were in this situation what would you do?

I currently have a full time job and have worked here little over 6 months. I like this job in the aspect that it looks good on my resume, I dont have to work weekends, and in ways I get to help people with their future. Things I dont like is that the pay is not great, the retirement benefit isnt great, and my potential to earn bonuses or more income is based on the other person working in my office. I am her assistant.

Before I got my current job I applied at a place of business and went through the interview process and testing and was entered in the hiring pool. I knew at this time i would be waiting possibly up to a year at the most to get a position here. The pay is more per hour. I do not have to dress up as its factory type work. It's not a job that really takes a degree or anything to do so its not as fatty on my resume as the other job. I do have the ability to work over time but my shift isnt promised, I could work nights, rotating days/ afternoons ect. The benefits and retirement seem to be much better than my current position.

I am going to have to make a choice soon I feel and I am not sure what to do. I have never worked in a factory setting. The ease of work in the factory makes it hard to give up the better pay, considering I make less at my current job and dont really enjoy setting in front of a computer all day. What would you do? Stay where you know your role but are frustrated on a daily basis and feel like moving foward is going to be a SLOW crawl, or take that job out of your comfort zone that seems financially better and you dont have to rely on anyone to make a better pay check!?!

Replies

• glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    what sort of work? repetitive strain injury or spinal problems are very real risks in some factory work, so you need to think carefully about whether it's worth gambling your health. check out exactly what is involved.
    also, how well do you cope with boredom and repetitive tasks? my sister was told to quit her factory job by her doctor, because it was causing her depression to worsen to such a degree.

you might love it though! is there any way you could have a trial day? or shadow someone for a shift?
  • jmac4263
    Options
    ThomasW13 wrote: »
    been in a similar situation myself. worked in a gypsum plant once upon a time. good money, long hours, sometimes irregular, easy enough mentally, but harder physically. room for advancement but only because people got burned out often.

work for the state now. desk job. more room for advancement but the process is slower. hours are way better and always regular. pay is worse but benefits are WAY better, and its more stable.

if you've never worked in a factory setting, i'd say stick it out where you're at currently or try to find something similar. big difference in that sort of job. even if you take it i'd say plan on having an exit strategy unless you really think you can stick it out. i know a lot of guys in the plant who started working there and made good money but ended up getting more in debt cause they wanted new cars and trucks and houses and now they can't afford to ever leave.

Good advice! In my position now there is no advancement really and the highest I will ever make is pretty much the same amount that I would get paid there base after so many months.. if that makes sense. The only way I can advance now is if i was to do the same position as my boss which takes licenses and such that I am not interested in getting. The only other way I can supplement my pay is if our office as a whole gets a bonus and the boss shares that. And we really arent that close to having that. The retirement really isnt that good either.

I can pay my bills now and really dont have much debt, I am out of the crazy spending stage been there done that. I just want to have more money to save and not live so tight with a smaller salary.

Such tough decisions!!
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    If you don't like sitting at a computer all day while getting to help people, do you think you would enjoy standing all day doing the same repetitive task?
  • jmac4263
    Options
    If you don't like sitting at a computer all day while getting to help people, do you think you would enjoy standing all day doing the same repetitive task?

Like I said I have never had a factory job so I dont really know how I would handle that, but I would be standing and moving around at least. There isnt much traffic in my office now so for a majority of the day I stare at a computer and type. The only positive I can see to the factory is I would constantly be doing something not struggling to make it through 8 hours.

• CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Grass is always greener from the other side of the fence.
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    Always follow your dreams. Ambition is the first step to success, the second step is action.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Let me give you the best advice ever. Don't go to work for the money, otherwise you will be miserable. Take a job you really like that lets you meet all your obligations.
  • kasrok
    kasrok Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You're young enough to try things out. If you're not happy and don't see yourself there for the long haul then by all means. But just as Cjisin Shape said, it usually only sounds better until there.

I'm in a similar boat, I got a decent job out of college but I am looking into grad school but for the time being what I have is stable and good benefits. I plan to stay with them (local government) but just move to a different department.
  • jmac4263
    Options
    Well honestly neither job is my dream by any mean, I have a BA in Criminal Justice and haven't found a place that's close with an opening that I want. I left an amazing job and my home town after my divorce and I have been trying hard to make it work at this job and it will until I find something better. It's just frustrating to not enjoy work a little bit, and this happens to be the first job I've had and felt this way.

I guess I really need to weigh out the pros and cons and keep looking!

Thank you @kasrok hopefully you get what you really want
  • kasrok
    kasrok Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you and I hope the same for you, but yeah I only look at a job as means to an end. I don't really mind if I like my job as long as it pays enough and allows me to do what I like. So I work four 10 hours shifts and with lunch and commute its like 13 hour days. But I get Fri-Sun off every week. Yeah just weigh pro's and cons