Do most people prefer running?

Options
ds6099
ds6099 Posts: 98 Member
Is running the most popular exercise choice? Just seems like it from the boards here.
Just curious!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I prefer cycling...

running is a highly portable and relatively inexpensive fitness endeavor...thus it is pretty popular in general, not just on MFP.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about a year.... It took a good 8 months for me to actually enjoy it!
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Noooo! Hate it. Give me a good, hard exercise class, some weights, or paddling. I refuse to run!
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Lifting is my #1, but as far as cardio goes...sprint intervals are by far my favorite cardio.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I think runners like to talk about running. A lot. :)

runner-humor-17.jpg

Different surveys have identified running, walking, or bodyweight exercise as the most popular. Probably depending on what audience was polled.

ETA: The American Time Use Survey (03-06), which didn't look only at exercise, found that people actually engaged in physical activity along these lines:

figure03.gif
    http://www.bls.gov/spotlight/2008/sports/

That said, you can see the appeal of running: little specialized equipment is NECESSARY (says the lady who runs with $100 shoes, a $70 hydration pack, a $200 GPS watch, and a $70 heart rate monitor), you don't need to join a gym or pay a trainer, there's a free program designed for beginners (C25K) and having a plan to follow can be more motivating than just showing up at the gym, and 5K races are *everywhere* these days.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    running is not super expensive, can be done nearly anywhere and is a somewhat natural progression from the walking many of us started with
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    It does seem to be the most popular, and no wonder: it requires little to no special equipment nor a gym membership, it can be done in most places, and it's great exercise.

For me, unfortunately, my knees don't allow it. Like @cwolfman13, I prefer cycling. When I go out it hardly feels like exercising.