Ex nail-biters: how did you quit!?

Options
2»

Replies

• GWehsling
    GWehsling Posts: 120 Member
    Options

I'm actually a girl...

I'm embarrassed for making that assumption, thank you for being cool about it.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    GWehsling wrote: »

I'm actually a girl...

I'm embarrassed for making that assumption, thank you for being cool about it.

Haha, you're not the first, don't worry about it :D
  • efink85
    efink85 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The taste of nail varnish didn't deter my nail biting, but if I put color nail polish on my nails (green or blue were my favorite colors), I stopped biting my nails since getting flecks of nail polish in my teeth was not a good look and super embarrassing.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »
    I had acrylics put on for a few months. Couldn't bite those. After I saw how nice my nails looked all painted and purty. I stopped and let my natural nail grow.

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. I had bitten mine so badly that I couldn't stand it anymore and just got acrylics put on this past weekend. Planning on keeping them for a few months to get out of the habit and let my nails grow a bit. After that I plan to get regular manicures as I don't bite near as much when my nails are polished.
  • saraleighb90
    saraleighb90 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Put on fake nails.
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options
    I had acrylics put on for a few months. Couldn't bite those. After I saw how nice my nails looked all painted and purty. I stopped and let my natural nail grow.

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. I had bitten mine so badly that I couldn't stand it anymore and just got acrylics put on this past weekend. Planning on keeping them for a few months to get out of the habit and let my nails grow a bit. After that I plan to get regular manicures as I don't bite near as much when my nails are polished.

I heard that wearing acrylics damages your nails underneath? My mum used to wear them all the time, and whenever she got them off her real nails were always in a bad way...
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I heard that wearing acrylics damages your nails underneath? My mum used to wear them all the time, and whenever she got them off her real nails were always in a bad way...

Did she always wear gloves, while cleaning and/or using other chemicals because not doing so, is often the culprit; the mixing of those chemicals?
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options

Did she always wear gloves, while cleaning and/or using other chemicals because not doing so, is often the culprit; the mixing of those chemicals?

I'm not sure. She used to go and get them professionally done.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I learned to manicure mine at home. Keeping them nice has made them more healthy and strong which prevents me from wanting to gnaw them.
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I found that if I carry nail clippers and a file with me I don't bite them. I tended to bite them when I got a snag or chip and ended up ripping them off.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,036 Member
    Options
    I'm a chronic nail biter and have even had sepsis due to a seriously infected hangnail I pulled with my teeth. I cannot stop. I use the bitter nail polish and have been for about 5 years and still can't break the habit. I can, however, keep it in check by using the bitter polish (the only brand I can use that prevents me from biting is called Stop the Bite. It is VERY bitter. Other brands are not bitter enough for me). Manicures and fake nails do not help me. I wish I could stop but I can't. I go for about 3-4 weeks of no biting, but something triggers me and before I know it, all my fingers are bleeding and I haven't even realized I've chewed my nails off.
    I wish you luck. It's a horrible and embarrassing problem to have.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,036 Member
    Options

When I took my nursing course, we were told no fake nails. Fake nails harbor more bacteria than a toilet seat. And when you remove them, the nail is nearly dissolved. Gross.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Intense college and post grad classes. Too busy to bite nails.
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options
    fleetzz wrote: »
    Intense college and post grad classes. Too busy to bite nails.

Unfortunately uni had the opposite effect on me... made it even worse.