Options
How fast in km should I be going and for how long

How many calories burned is good?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    On found this online to maybe get you started. It's not really about kmh but more about intensity.

http://www.active.com/cycling/articles/2-indoor-trainer-workouts-to-improve-climbing
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    It depends. The caloie burn will depend on your weight, duration and intensity. If you are just starting off then you need to find a level which you cna manage, but where you are working reasonably hard by the end of it. Depending on the information the bike gives you, be that distance traveled, speed, duration or wattage make a note and compare it next time. If you do a distance say 5k to start with then add another 1k ever few days to keep challenging yourself, alternatively aim to increase your speed or beat your previous time. After a few weeks you will have found and progressed to a level. Imo you should be out of breath at the end.

Calories burned can be highly inaccurate on some bikes and more accurate on others, it depends on the computer and what it measures. the spin bikes tend to be more accurate than say the ones with the big comfy seats, but it depends. Start off with say 10,15mins, which might burn 75-100 calories and then increase it up as you progress in distance or intensity. Exercise is for fitness first, but calorie burns can be handy for extra food or to assist with the deficit. manage what you can. 250 accurate calories a day=1/2lb loss a week. Its common for people to eat 50% back.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,034 Member
    Options
    I don't use an exercise bike ... I put my bicycle onto a trainer.

But I do "commercial intervals". I watch TV and ride at a steady pace during the show ... then ride flat out during the commercial. 30-60 min can go by in no time.