The Potato: Friend or Foe?

Options
Kalikel
Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
edited July 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I'm never sure where most people stand on potatos. I eat them on a regular basis. They're an excellent source of potassium, which I was low on, have many other vitamins and minerals...and they taste good (IMO, anyway.) I like the sweet potato, but give me an Idaho any time and I'll take that.

Where stand you on our friend (or enemy?) the potato?

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Friend! But I don't have them too often. IIFYM and all.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm... friend! Definitely friend! Sure, they are calorie rich, but as long as they fit into your goal, go for it!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Friend. Delicious, filling, cheap and versatile. Potato is the main carb in our hose at dinner time, we probably have them 4-5 times a week.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Friend. Delicious, filling, cheap and versatile. Potato is the main carb in our hose at dinner time, we probably have them 4-5 times a week.

Same!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Looks friendly to me
    3a5524e26a8b4b4316195c3a935eadf9.jpg
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I eat both potatoes and sweet potatoes a lot. I particularly like them roasted with their skin, a little olive oil and salt, and sometimes dill or rosemary and/or garlic. They can also be tasty with greek yogurt used like sour cream. I think they are very filling for the calories.

Right now I'm all about the fresh local corn, though, since potatoes have a much longer season.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Friend, definitely. :smile:

But I eat a relatively strict low carb diet so I have to choose between things like fruit, potatoes and beans -- I can't fit satisfying amounts of them all in a day. During the summer fruit almost always wins (sweet and delicious!) but in the fall and winter potatoes move up on the desirability list and I eat less fruit and more potatoes (roasted veggies, stews, pot roasts etc.).
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I find potatoes to be one of the most satisfying foods to eat. They're very filling. Definitely friend. Plus they're delicious.

I like them with lentil chili, in lentil stew or twice baked with cottage cheese and scallions.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Friend! Baked for dinner or hashbrowns for breakfast. I try not to have fries too often though, too yummy and can't stop myself!
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    don't have anything against it but IDK I much much rather eat my daily 150 g of rice than potatoes, potatoes for me are like corn flakes; I can't deal with the serving size and it takes a lot to fill me up.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Potato is my friend too! But I also like sweet potato, corn, pasta, rice and barley, so we don't get too much time together.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Friend, loving fingerling potatoes at the moment.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Depends on the application of said potato.

In the wrong hands potatoes can be extremely dangerous and should only be handled by trained experts under controlled conditions. They are instruments of destruction. Delicious destruction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqrAYg30bp8
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Friend! But I don't have them too often. IIFYM and all.

Same!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Friend, for sure!!
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    6a01053564db9d970b011278d9eca228a4-pi
    <3

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Friend. I have a baked potato just about every night, topped with ranch dressing.

My great-great-grandfather left Scotland for America when the potato crop failed. Sure, they called it the Great Highland Potato Famine, but I think he just didn't want to live in a land without the spud.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My ancestors didn't hop in a rickety boat and cross the Atlantic Ocean because potatoes suck.
    0439fee7abfdf561ab543cb062a6e61b.jpg
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Friend.

Delicious, delicious friend.