Fat burn and endorphins

I have heard that to really get into fat burning mode you have to go hard for a minimum of 30 minutes or longer. Is this true and is everything done before hand really nominal. In addition at what point are you releasing all those good hormones. New to this again and really trying to get into the science of all it. Any positive input would be helpful.

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    i've burned quite a bit of fat over the years, and don't have a clue about fat burning mode. I dont think its necessary to be in a specific fat burning mode for any length of time to burn fat. Cut calories, clean up your diet and you'll burn off way more fat than you can while exercising. you can't ever out run a bad diet.

regarding the good hormones, you mean endorphins? for me those hit around after i hit about 2 miles of jogging or after a really good heavy weight lifting workout.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Monarose wrote: »
    I have heard that to really get into fat burning mode you have to go hard for a minimum of 30 minutes or longer. Is this true and is everything done before hand really nominal.

You burn body fat on days that you're in a calorie deficit. All activities affect your calorie balance.
    In addition at what point are you releasing all those good hormones.

You release endorphins whenever you choose to enjoy yourself. Playing good music can help. :+1:
  • Endorphins are commonly associated with 'runner's high'. I have experienced them on some runs - yes, they were longer runs. A lot of people experience them as 'second wind' when you get that sudden feeling of energy after feeling tired. There's no tried and tested way to get them for every person. For me, the first mile is the roughest and then after that I get into my groove. That 'endorphin' feeling tends to come after about 40 minutes when I suddenly feel very powerful, energetic, like the running is effortless and I can go forever. It's nice, but there are other ways to enjoy exercising, like doing something you like, such as swimming.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    The 'fat burning zone' is a bit of a misnomer. The only time you burn 100% fat is at rest which isn't very good for body re composition. Fitness machine producers took this and ran with it (pardon the pun) to sell their products misleading people to believe that after a certain length of time you enter this 'zone'
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Monarose wrote: »
    I have heard that to really get into fat burning mode you have to go hard for a minimum of 30 minutes or longer. Is this true and is everything done before hand really nominal. In addition at what point are you releasing all those good hormones. New to this again and really trying to get into the science of all it. Any positive input would be helpful.

Nah, that's nonsense. It is a distortion of the fact that your body tends to use more carbohydrate than fat in the initial stages of exercise but if you exercise for longer at a lower intensity your body normally use a greater proportion of fat than carbs. It's not worth worrying about. Focus on doing what you like and racking up total calories burned.
    Endorphins are commonly associated with 'runner's high'. I have experienced them on some runs - yes, they were longer runs. A lot of people experience them as 'second wind' when you get that sudden feeling of energy after feeling tired. There's no tried and tested way to get them for every person. For me, the first mile is the roughest and then after that I get into my groove. That 'endorphin' feeling tends to come after about 40 minutes when I suddenly feel very powerful, energetic, like the running is effortless and I can go forever. It's nice, but there are other ways to enjoy exercising, like doing something you like, such as swimming.

That has been my experience as well.
  • Monarose
    Monarose Posts: 24 Member
    Thank you for the input. I've been using an elliptical 3-4 times weekly for a month. I try to stay in calorie deficit and I'm just not seeing results on the scale. I feel better definitely, and things are fitting better but I never had a problem before dropping pounds. Not sure if its my age or what but I've been trying to tweak things a bit in an effort to push the scale. And I always have good music during my workouts