A little frustrated

Options
I just need to vent. Last week I saw decent gains on the scale ~3 pounds. I've been tracking everything I eat, weighing and measuring everything, staying within my calorie goal and macros and not eating back all my exercise calories. Oh, and I drink plenty of water so that's not an issue.

My calorie goal is 1200, so I've been eating between 1200-1500 a day. I've been hitting the gym daily, doing some strength training followed by 40-45 minutes of cardio on an arc trainer. And this week the scale has not budged.

Just a little frustrated and not sure what's going on.

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear - you won't lose weight every week. Some you'll stay the same, some you'll gain. It's completely normal. Fluctuations happen all the time and can be due to things like eating more sodium the previous day, time of the month, undigested food, and if you've just started going to the gym your muscles will be retaining water to repair.

Nothing to worry about, just keep going.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. Watch for the overall downward progression rather than a weekly move. I find generally I alternate between larger losses and barely losing anything.

It is incredibly frustrating though. I had the same issue last fortnight. It just didn't budge. Well, actually it budged up thanks to fluctuations from hormones and water retention. And then this week it's going down again. You just have to stick with it and try not to get discouraged. I also take measurements and progress photos. I find this helpful because the scale isn't always accurate due to natural fluctuations. The fortnight that the scale didn't move much for me, I still lost on my measurements.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert on this, but I would think that if you are going 300 cals over your goal you're literally eating into your deficit. Make sure you are logging accurately (using scale weights and the correct data), as it's really easy to over-estimate... but our bodies don't lie ;-) If 1200 calories is not enough, perhaps change your goal to .5 or 1lb per week.
  • mykidsrock76
    mykidsrock76 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you all.
    I am by no means an expert on this, but I would think that if you are going 300 cals over your goal you're literally eating into your deficit. Make sure you are logging accurately (using scale weights and the correct data), as it's really easy to over-estimate... but our bodies don't lie ;-) If 1200 calories is not enough, perhaps change your goal to .5 or 1lb per week.

I am weighing and measuring everything I put in my mouth. 1200 is the goal MFP gave me with no exercise. On any given day, I earn 900-1100 exercise calories (I have my Fitbit synced to MFP), so I don't think eating an additional 300 is the culprit.

It is likely water retention but I am just so frustrated because it's nice to see the scale move, especially since I have 30-40 pounds to lose.

• smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    You lost three pounds last week! that's a pretty big loss. And it's only Wednesday, so not really that surprising that you haven't seen any more movement on the scale this week.
  • mykidsrock76
    Options
    You lost three pounds last week! that's a pretty big loss. And it's only Wednesday, so not really that surprising that you haven't seen any more movement on the scale this week.

I know. I'm just irritated. I guess in my mind I figure since I have so much to lose, I should still see something. I've done this before so I know there are weeks with loss, weeks with gains and weeks of lulls. But there's still that part of me that would love to get on the scale and see it just melting away!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I just need to vent. Last week I saw decent gains on the scale ~3 pounds. I've been tracking everything I eat, weighing and measuring everything, staying within my calorie goal and macros and not eating back all my exercise calories. Oh, and I drink plenty of water so that's not an issue.

My calorie goal is 1200, so I've been eating between 1200-1500 a day. I've been hitting the gym daily, doing some strength training followed by 40-45 minutes of cardio on an arc trainer. And this week the scale has not budged.

I'm a little confused - did you gain or lose 3lbs?

In any case, it sounds as though you're on the right track. If it was a gain then it's just a water fluctuation. Just keep going. If the scale still does not move after around 6 weeks then it would be time to reassess the situation.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Thank you all.

I am weighing and measuring everything I put in my mouth. 1200 is the goal MFP gave me with no exercise. On any given day, I earn 900-1100 exercise calories (I have my Fitbit synced to MFP), so I don't think eating an additional 300 is the culprit.

It is likely water retention but I am just so frustrated because it's nice to see the scale move, especially since I have 30-40 pounds to lose.

Meh, not the first (or probably the last) time I've got things barse-ackward! Thanks for explaining, and sorry I misunderstood. Hope you get better results soon (although your current ones look good to me).
  • mykidsrock76
    Options

In any case, it sounds as though you're on the right track. If it was a gain then it's just a water fluctuation. Just keep going. If the scale still does not move after around 6 weeks then it would be time to reassess the situation.

It was a loss of about 3 pound last week. Guess I should clarify that.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

It was a loss of about 3 pound last week. Guess I should clarify that.

Ah OK. In that case, you've averaged 1.5 lbs per week over the past two weeks, which is a great loss! :smiley:
  • mykidsrock76
    Options
    Thank you all.

Meh, not the first (or probably the last) time I've got things barse-ackward! Thanks for explaining, and sorry I misunderstood. Hope you get better results soon (although your current ones look good to me).

No worries. I probably didn't give enough info in my initial post.

• mykidsrock76
    Options
    So I just logged my weekly weigh in and no change from last Friday. :(

I've been eating under my calorie goal every day, I weigh and measure everything I put in my mouth, and I've been busting my butt at the gym everyday. I have my Fitbit synced, so I trust the calorie burn.

I know weight loss isn't linear and its not the end of the world, but it is so discouraging.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    MFP%20Flowchart%20lemonlionheart_zps3s3xqead.jpg
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1200, so I've been eating between 1200-1500 a day.

Exercise for fitness; log to lose weight. Learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly.

The less you have to lose, the more slowly it comes off. That's just the way the human body works. And weight loss is not linear.

If you follow these instructions, you'll be eating TDEE minus an appropriate deficit for your size. Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    No advice, but wanted to share. I was steadily losing 1.7 lbs a week for a month. Then one morning I gained 2 lbs. those 2 lbs would not budge for 8 days. Finally, those 2 lbs and another 2 just vanished! My issue was TOM bloating and water retention.
  • kellellie
    kellellie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    the first 3 weeks or so that i'm losing, I lose consistantly. After that, there are times that I stay the exact same weight (or a pound or two higher) for 2 weeks, then drop 3lbs in 3days, and that pattern is pretty constant. When you find that pattern over several months it's easier to not be as discouraged by not seeing immediate changes. Also over time, my loss average is still 1.8ish a week, even with the periods of the scale not moving. remember to take your measurements too, and don't sabotage yourself! It works, but it's not overnight.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Some weeks you do everything right, but maintain—or even gain. Others you lose a whole lot on a "whoosh."

Sync your Fitbit account with Trendweight.com (it's free) to see the trend without the "noise" of water weight. It syncs with Withings, too. And there are other apps & websites that do the same thing.
  • mykidsrock76
    Options
    Thank you all. I'm sure it's something along the lines of water weight. I've been weighing and logging everything and I have my Fitbit synced. I am going to take measurements this weekend with my hubby's help. I've been watching what I eat, or at least trying to, for months now. So I know I'm not going to have those big losses like in the beginning.

I'm just wondering if by not eating my adjustment, if I'm holding on to weight.

I have to remind myself that I didn't put it on overnight, it isn't going to come off overnight.
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Just keep going. I hit a plateau for weeks and then I lost three lbs in the space of a week. Just remember it isn't just about the scales. You might see changes in the mirror before you see changes on the scale. This is about a healthy lifestyle and when changes aren't obvious they are still happening.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    So I just logged my weekly weigh in and no change from last Friday. :(

I've been eating under my calorie goal every day, I weigh and measure everything I put in my mouth, and I've been busting my butt at the gym everyday. I have my Fitbit synced, so I trust the calorie burn.

I know weight loss isn't linear and its not the end of the world, but it is so discouraging.

Some weeks you may not lose. It's normal.