Tiger Nuts - What on earth do I do with them

harlequin0318
harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
So I bought tiger nuts from Amazon, and I've tried them out of the bag - they have a great taste but the texture of them is just not great.

Any ideas on what to create with this tuber?

TIA

Replies

• OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    I never heard of them until now. Could you chop finely, smash in a mortar, or a quick pulse in a processor and use the crumbs as a yogurt or ice cream topping?
    Maybe use them in muffins or brownies or anywhere you might bake with chopped peanuts, pecans or walnuts.
    How about Cashew Tigernut Chicken?

Please don't take this the wrong way. No judgment on you, but I might tape the bag to the bottom of my computer monitor as a precaution against impulsive internet purchases. :wink:
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    When I saw this I thought oh no...tiger nuts..never heard of it either. I googled it and see it is a root. It looks similar to jerusalem artichokes. I would maybe try to roast them in garlic and oil in the oven. But I think you would have to rehydrate them first. As suggested above with chicken sounds good.
  • meghaneife
    meghaneife Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2015
    I just got some too! I put them in smoothies with chocolate protein powder, a banana, and rice milk!
  • bibimazoon
    bibimazoon Posts: 50 Member
    I just bought some too! Both shelled and unshelled, apparently you can just eat them without removing the shell right outta the bag or soak them in water overnight to change the texture. I loved them all ways, reminds me of coconut

However, we are blaming them for sending the husband to the ER with his first diverticulitis attack :/
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I bought tigernut flour from the local Bulk Barn, then googled a recipe. The butter cookies were a smash by the way. Here's more recipes.

http://www.tigernuts.com/blog/category/recipes/
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Thank you for all the ideas: )