Pre-Race Nervousness Tips? Puh-lease?

Options
G'morning.

I'm running a half marathon on Saturday in Duluth, MN. I have been soooo nervous all week. (Nervous to the point of vomiting if I start over-thinking and over-analyzing.) I know I am physically ready for this, it's my second half (Pikermi!), and I had a training run a couple weekends ago where I beat my goal time by 7 minutes. :happy:

I have been taking it easy this week, only logged 10 miles so far, so I feel well-rested and strong. I plan on doing strength training tonight and some light walking on Friday. I just can't get over that mental what-if hump..... and I know my nerves can definitely affect my performance on Saturday.

Any tips for how to calm myself down???

Replies

• Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    Vodka !!!! :O)

Imagine them all naked !, no hold on thats advice for a job interview

Seriously though , You will be fine, you've trained hard for this

Aid
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    LOL!!!! Thanks Aid --- I just snort laughed and got some weird looks from my neighboring cubicle-mates......

Maybe I'll save the vodka for after the run.
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    Good I can see my work here is done :O)
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hey i know a lot of people running that race and if I was living in Minnesota right now I would be there. Just relax you already know you can do this. Do you have a pre-race ritual? Like pasta night the day before? I don't think there is a cure for the jitters, because it's all in your head. Do something you know that will relax you like read a book, go to the lake, do some yoga you know whatever it is that calms your body.

You CAN do this and you WILL beat your time!

I am excited for you! Good Luck! (even though you don't need it, because you got this)
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Nerves is expected....I am sure every great athlete goes through it right before an event

You can do this....once you start running, you will be awesome

Goodluck
  • jlewis2896
    Options
    Thanks so much guys -- it means a lot!

No pre-race ritual yet, other than getting so nervous I hit the porta-potty 5 times in the half-hour before the race..... (ewww.... porta-potties....)

Maybe this would be a good run to start a new ritual. Yoga sounds super, as does pasta.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    pasta.
    rest your legs, watch your fave movie the night before the race to calm down
    try and get in 8 hours of sleep
    remember to try and #2 the night before or morning of the race...you know why

yeah...porta potties...yuck...:sick:
  • Paul76
    Paul76 Posts: 158
    Options
    Someone gave me a good tip - set 3 goals for yourself. Your optimistic goal, your "should be acheivable" goal, and you bare minimum (which, for half and full marathons is "just finish"). Having just the one goal (which is usually the optimistic goal) puts a lot of pressure on attaining it.

Either way, relax and have fun!
  • jlewis2896
    Options

remember to try and #2 the night before or morning of the race...you know why

Amen, sista!!
  • jlewis2896
    Options
    Someone gave me a good tip - set 3 goals for yourself. Your optimistic goal, your "should be acheivable" goal, and you bare minimum (which, for half and full marathons is "just finish"). Having just the one goal (which is usually the optimistic goal) puts a lot of pressure on attaining it.

Either way, relax and have fun!

Thanks Paul!! I told myself when I started training my only goal was to finish strong (I was WIPED after my first half last fall and ended up with an injury) and beat my previous time of 2:25. But, somewhere along the way I got a little more ambitious and/or egocentric, so I'm now targeting a time of 2:15, which I think is realistic. My optimistic goal is 2:05 or better. I think I'll make my bare minimum goal to not injure myself. :laugh:
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    These tips are great! I am registered to run my first ever Half Marathon in August. I've never been a "long distance" runner, so its really exciting and scary all at the same time! For my first Half Marathon, I'm mostly just going to focus on the miles rather than a time, and then after I get that first Half Marathon in...I'll work on time after that! But, Its only June and I'm already nervous!!!

good luck!!! I am originally from Minnesota, is it Grandma's, or I guess its Bjorklund for Half, right??? I've been wanting to do that half marathon, maybe someday I'll get back there and run it! Oh how I miss Minnesota :) I'm doing my Half Marathon here in Idaho, and we start up in the mountains at beautiful Mesa Falls. I love some good scenery to get me through the miles!!
  • jlewis2896
    Options
    kicklikeaGIRL --- It is Bjorklund -- it's on such a pretty road, that is what sold me. I've heard it's hilly, so I have been putting in a lot of hill training!!

I have driven through the upper part of Idaho and I was ABSOLUTELY AMAZED at how gorgeous it is -- I always just associated it with potatoes, lol. Good luck on your run, I bet it will be a beautiful one!!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    G'morning.

I'm running a half marathon on Saturday in Duluth, MN. I have been soooo nervous all week. (Nervous to the point of vomiting if I start over-thinking and over-analyzing.) I know I am physically ready for this, it's my second half (Pikermi!), and I had a training run a couple weekends ago where I beat my goal time by 7 minutes. :happy:

I have been taking it easy this week, only logged 10 miles so far, so I feel well-rested and strong. I plan on doing strength training tonight and some light walking on Friday. I just can't get over that mental what-if hump..... and I know my nerves can definitely affect my performance on Saturday.

Any tips for how to calm myself down???

No.

You may well feel extremely nervious before the race, however, that will be of the utmost benefit to you as your adrenalin will be going mad and spur you on.

There is one guarantee though, that nervousness will virtually disappear as soon as you start and you will then be able to enjoy the race. You will only be feeling nervous before the race and as you line up, honestly.

Wishing you all the very best, good on you for doing the half marathon!! :happy:
  • Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Yoga always helps me center myself. Especially if its a well run class. In addition, I personally like time a steamroom and/or dry sauna if possible. Very relaxing. A glass of wine with dinner tonight wont hurt either. You have trained very well....now, leave everything to the run. Let it go and let your body do what you have trained it to do. Don't worry, its not about your time completed, its about enjoying the run and being in the moment. You'll be in my thoughts chica! You are a great inspiration to me!
  • jlewis2896
    Options
    Yoga always helps me center myself. Especially if its a well run class. In addition, I personally like time a steamroom and/or dry sauna if possible. Very relaxing. A glass of wine with dinner tonight wont hurt either. You have trained very well....now, leave everything to the run. Let it go and let your body do what you have trained it to do. Don't worry, its not about your time completed, its about enjoying the run and being in the moment. You'll be in my thoughts chica! You are a great inspiration to me!

Awww.... thanks Holly! I just checked, and the hotel I have booked does have a sauna, great idea!