Fitbit Question and Little Experiment

Options
2»

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    KarlaH9801 wrote: »
    I have a fitbit flex, and since it is designed for non-dominate wrist placement, that is where I wear it. Unfortunately, it has its problems, too. If I am pushing a stroller or shopping cart, it doesn't catch all of my steps, so I put it in my pocket. Better, but still not accurate. I even attached it to my shoe once, out of curiosity, and it went way over in steps for my usual route.
    Zod, when I go to the store alone, I pull the shopping cart with my right hand so my left arm can swing so my band can count my steps.

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Since its made to be worn on the core of your body, I'd assume waste to be more accurate than shoe. Its just not meant to be worn there so its counting extra steps. The device showing extra burn doesn't mean you've done anything extra. I could probably put mine in the dryer for an hour, make it look like I ran a 10k. But that wouldn't do my body any good.
    I've had a Fitbit One for years. I always wear it on my waste band. Today when I went to walk my dog, I decided to do a little experiment. I put it on my shoe instead of my waste band. Same route, same amount of time (give or take a couple of minutes) but my calorie burn was doubled, I was given around 500 extra steps and all of the activity lines were in the green (intense) and usually they're orange (moderate). So I'm wondering...which do you think would be more accurate? Common sense tells me my putting it on my shoe or sock would give me a more accurate step count, but the difference in intensity made me want others opinions.

I realize that. What I was wondering was if putting it on the part of your body that was actually doing the work was more accurate than putting it on your waste. Since it is apparently designed to go on your core, I guess not.

Correct. It is intended for and calibrated for your torso ("waist"...not "waste") not your legs.
  • mykidsrock76
    mykidsrock76 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would wear it where intended but even watch that. I had a One and switched to the Charge HR. I always wore my One on my bra strap. I chaperoned a field trip one day for my sons class and rode a school bus. Now, I'm a little bustier and the ride was bumpy, but by the time we arrived the One said I had climbed 79 floors! After several instances like that I decided it was time to move on from the One.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I always wore my One on my bra strap. I chaperoned a field trip one day for my sons class and rode a school bus. Now, I'm a little bustier and the ride was bumpy, but by the time we arrived the One said I had climbed 79 floors!

Fitbit's stair count is based on changes in air pressure. You'd've gotten the same flights with a Charge HR on your wrist as you did with a One on your bra: http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/How-does-my-tracker-count-floors

All that really matters is the accuracy of your burn. I get "steps" drying my hair, and miss steps pushing a shopping cart. But I lost the weight & have successfully maintained.

Trust your Fitbit for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress & adjust accordingly.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    I always wore my One on my bra strap. I chaperoned a field trip one day for my sons class and rode a school bus. Now, I'm a little bustier and the ride was bumpy, but by the time we arrived the One said I had climbed 79 floors!

Fitbit's stair count is based on changes in air pressure. You'd've gotten the same flights with a Charge HR on your wrist as you did with a One on your bra: http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/How-does-my-tracker-count-floors

All that really matters is the accuracy of your burn. I get "steps" drying my hair, and miss steps pushing a shopping cart. But I lost the weight & have successfully maintained.

Trust your Fitbit for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress & adjust accordingly.

Interesting. I never knew that. I get 3 flights of stairs I didn't really climb everyday when I walk up the hill on my street. Makes sense now.

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I'm glad to see the spelling and grammar police are out in full force today, because I saw several people trying to loose weight in a few threads below. Go get 'em, officers.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,643 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I'm glad to see the spelling and grammar police are out in full force today, because I saw several people trying to loose weight in a few threads below. Go get 'em, officers.

Was that sarcasm? Sometimes it's hard to tell on the internet. :)

• DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex, and since it is designed for non-dominate wrist placement, that is where I wear it. Unfortunately, it has its problems, too. If I am pushing a stroller or shopping cart, it doesn't catch all of my steps, so I put it in my pocket. Better, but still not accurate. I even attached it to my shoe once, out of curiosity, and it went way over in steps for my usual route.
    Zod, when I go to the store alone, I pull the shopping cart with my right hand so my left arm can swing so my band can count my steps.

Yeah when I have to use a basket i do this too, but usually unless I am picking up a lot of stuff/bulky stuff I just carry everything. Also those little Kroger baskets that are like half the size are more fun to push around than to pull so sometimes i just say screw it and let the steps get missed.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,643 Member
    Options

Yeah when I have to use a basket i do this too, but usually unless I am picking up a lot of stuff/bulky stuff I just carry everything. Also those little Kroger baskets that are like half the size are more fun to push around than to pull so sometimes i just say screw it and let the steps get missed.

I've also heard you can put it in your pocket while shopping and that'll work too.

• DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

I've also heard you can put it in your pocket while shopping and that'll work too.

Yeah i did this at the waterpark in a plastic baggie then saw Karla say it above for shopping cart and was like "why didnt i think of that?"