general tips and ideas with cutting carbs

Options
hi I'm dave and I've been on here for 126 days I started at 330lbs and I am down to 278 I've dropped 52lbs. so far, I've been sticking to a 2100 a day calorie intake and work out 5-6 days a week mostly cardio and body weight (pushups, rock climbing). I was thinking of keeping my calorie intake the same but slashing my carbs. any input? mfp has my macros at 262 carbs. a day, I haven't worried about anything but calories up until know. But I was told that it would help shred fat. any input would be appreciated. how many should I take in a day? tasty snacks etc. and info would help me. thanks in advance

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    As long as you're in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight. Low carb isn't required unless for medical reasons.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Some people do well in ketosis during weightloss. The theory is you're utilizing an extra mechanism to burn fat instead of carbs (if I understand correctly). But the ketosis range is something like under 50g net carbs per day.

Cutting carbs will help you lose some more water weight. But you might find you have less energy/intensity for your cardio. You might miss foods you enjoy. But then again, you might find you feel fuller on less calories. You might have less urges to snack or binge or fewer cravings.

Honestly, if what you're doing right now is working, I'd hesitate to change it.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Honestly, if what you're doing right now is working, I'd hesitate to change it.

^^ This x 100
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, going LCHF does not increase weight loss much. Low carbers lose a bit more weight in the first six months but it basically evens out by a year.

I like the very LCHF diet for lowering my appetite and getting rid of my carb cravings, as well as normalizing my blood glucose.

If you want to be low carb, carbs are usually kept under 100 or 150g - less than 20%. Ketosis is often 5% carbs or under 50g per day.

If you go low carb, you might notice you feel a bit poorly for the first week or two while your body adjusts. Increased sodium and potassium helps with that. Also, your exercise performance may suffer a bit; it is often helpful to use some of your carbs for before or during, intense exercise.

The Low Carber Daily forum can help you with questions there.

Good luck.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    MyFitnessPal’s current default goals distribute calories as follows: 50% from carbohydrates, 20% from protein and 30% from fat.

I feel fuller, have more energy, and less sugar cravings/munchies at around 40% from carbohydrates, 30% from protein and 30% from fat.