Potato Salad-how make bit lower cal?

Options
bbontheb
bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
Any ideas on what can lessen the cals/fat from all the mayo? :)

Replies

• SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I use a lemon and mustard sauce for mine with baby or yellow potatoes. I'ts just wholegrain mustard, dijon mustard, honey, lemon juice, olive oil. To the potatoes and dressing I toss in some chopped parsley, chopped chives and lemon zest.
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Use Plain greek yogurt instead of the mayo. This will also add a little protein to the salad.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I don't use mayo anymore but if you want the creaminess, use Greek yogurt instead.
    I boil my little red potatoes and add some olive oil, chopped onions, garlic, salt, and pepper. Blend well and enjoy warm or cool.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    use less and add more spicy mustard, onions and seasonings.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind the change in taste, sub a lower-fat mayo. You can also use half 0% fat greek yogurt and half mayo, or even half 0% greek yogurt and half low-fat mayo or miracle whip. Whatever you do will change the taste to some degree, though, so keep that in mind. :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Bretto wrote: »
    Use Plain greek yogurt instead of the mayo. This will also add a little protein to the salad.

I was wondering this. I love potato salad and I might have it more often of this tastes good! Thanks for the idea :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/06/baby-red-potato-salad.html

That one is absolutely delicious!

But I love potatoes with Greek yogurt and mustard, so I'm guessing a potato salad with those would be delicious too.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I use this Mayo kraftfoodservice.com/productsandbrands/spreads/spoonables/kraftmayowitholiveoil.aspx
    I'm picky about my Mayo and this is the only reduced fat/calorie one that I think tastes the closest to full fat.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I like a chunky (veggie) potato salad. I mix light mayo with mustard, ketchup & dill pickle juice. It does take away from the creaminess.

The veggies are potatoes, red peppers, celery, chopped pickle, and sliced radishes. *Famous Dave's spicy pickles if you can find them.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I like a chunky (veggie) potato salad. I mix light mayo with mustard, ketchup & dill pickle juice. It does take away from the creaminess.

The veggies are potatoes, red peppers, celery, chopped pickle, and sliced radishes.
    gotta have the creamyness
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Wow! Some great ideas. Am I the only one really craving a delicious potato salad now? haha. Mmmm.

I never thought about greek yogourt. I could try a few different tastes-half and half. The pickle, radish, or grainy mustard sounds really good in it. Again, mmmm....
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Fat Free sour cream, yellow mustard, onions, and celery. Yep, now I want potato salad, too :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Bretto wrote: »
    This. I've begun using Greek yogurt to make tuna, chicken and egg salad (which I love) to cut down on the fat and add some extra protein.
  • oxlisaxo91
    oxlisaxo91 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious to everyone using the Greek Yoghurt, is it 0%?
    I find 0% Greek yoghurt is very sour but then again maybe once you mix in the herbs its not as bad?
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Use less mayo or make a mayo free version.

That's really the only way. Common sense.

I wouldn't opt for light mayo. It tastes horrible.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Lots of white wine for the potatoes to absorb, then a well made vinegarette. Lower calorie and better tasting than s mayonnaise based potato salad
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    smaller serving.
  • z304
    z304 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    We make this, zero creamy dressing but still delicious:
    http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/potato-salad-recipe
    We usually add celery if we have it, sometimes chopped up hard boiled eggs if they're around.

& you can also skip the mustard, up the olive oil and vinegar, and substitute tarragon vinegar for red wine vinegar.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Wow. These ALL sound so good! Gotta try the white wine & vinegarette.