Why is my new protein shake causing me to gain weight?

Replies

• lisajane4271
    lisajane4271 Posts: 12 Member
    freechewy wrote: »
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    It's probably just the batteries in your scale. Try changing them.

:D
    ...Or weigh lying flat on your back, feet in the air, balancing the scales just so! lol ;)

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    bettencc87 wrote: »
    Hi, you're gaining weight because you're snacking on oreos and ice cream. You need to change up your midday snack with something that fills you up but doesn't have all the sugar/calories that oreos and ice cream have. Try eating something high in fiber- like veggies with hummus. You can also get protein from a hard boiled egg. There are other protein shakes that won't contain as much sugar, although many are high in calories and meant to fuel after or before a workout. If you aren't burning all of those calories through working out, there is no need to drink a protein shake at all. Good luck!
    Oh, and I think unsweetend almond milk is great always in place of regular, but again if you're eating oreos, it won't make much of a difference.

Oh ok I guess that makes sense, I thought that because it was all in liquid form then my body wouldn't absorb the calories? I guess that probably wasn't the case though. I think I'll try your suggestions from now on

not-sure-if-serious-or-just-trolling-at-a-whole-new-level.jpg

:trollface::trollface::trollface:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    All,

At this point I am going to politely remind everyone of the first two community guidelines:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Please contribute respectfully to the discussion, or move on without posting. From this point forward, any comments that do not contribute politely and constructively will receive 2-point warnings.
  • iron_born
    iron_born Posts: 1 Member
    they_see_me_trollin___by_stormx6-d5s11i8.jpg
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    edited July 2015
    So dumb wait Oh I get it
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    You need to use these, OP. See? The word "thin" is even in the title.

0wf0efkjnwud.jpg
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Try strawberry ice cream instead - you know for the healthy fruit.
  • yellowantphil
    yellowantphil Posts: 787 Member
    RAinWA wrote: »
    Bakins929 wrote: »
    It's because the Oreos aren't double stuffed - switch to double stuffed and you'll be good to go.
    And be sure they are the fudge coated ones!
    And stop all that exercising! You are bulking up and that is part of your weight gain.

I thought it was the red velvet oreos that had negative calories when they were liquified. :)

Oh my gosh really?

In case you were still wondering: no. Not even celery has negative calories. Not blended celery, and definitely not blended Oreos.
  • HEATHERACU73
    HEATHERACU73 Posts: 46 Member
    Fitness Gal - take out the oreos and the ice cream, blend a small amount of fruit in it. Make sure you measure out all your calories correctly. Google healthy low calories protein shake recipes.
  • Limabeansoup
    Limabeansoup Posts: 1 Member
    Three protein shakes a day, on top of the other protein and else you are eating!!! How in Gods name are you not exploding from all of the protein farts and how are you still able to poop? The 4 pounds is definitely bowl movements that haven't moved.

I'm not a health guru or anything and I'm pretty sure you aren't serious. You eat ice cream and oreos 3 times a day and you are wondering why you gained weight?!

I'm all for protein shakes, but how about something a little more natural for your snacks. An apple and REAL peanut butter, carrots/celery and hummus, a bit of a sweet potato and a few almonds. Shoot, mix 2 cups of uncooked oatmeal, 1.5 cup of milk or milk substitute, and one 5.3 (or close) ounce of greek yogurt. Flavor it with a tiny bit of honey and some fruit. You'll get anywhere from 4-6 servings and it'll keep you full.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    kgeyser wrote: »
    All,

At this point I am going to politely remind everyone of the first two community guidelines:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Please contribute respectfully to the discussion, or move on without posting. From this point forward, any comments that do not contribute politely and constructively will receive 2-point warnings.

giphy.gif
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    You are just gaining muscle from all that protein! And that's cool.
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Three protein shakes a day, on top of the other protein and else you are eating!!! How in Gods name are you not exploding from all of the protein farts and how are you still able to poop? The 4 pounds is definitely bowl movements that haven't moved.

I'm not a health guru or anything and I'm pretty sure you aren't serious. You eat ice cream and oreos 3 times a day and you are wondering why you gained weight?!

I'm all for protein shakes, but how about something a little more natural for your snacks. An apple and REAL peanut butter, carrots/celery and hummus, a bit of a sweet potato and a few almonds. Shoot, mix 2 cups of uncooked oatmeal, 1.5 cup of milk or milk substitute, and one 5.3 (or close) ounce of greek yogurt. Flavor it with a tiny bit of honey and some fruit. You'll get anywhere from 4-6 servings and it'll keep you full.

Her diary's not open and she didn't mention what she eats throughout the day so we don't know how much protein she's actually eating. It's entirely possible she does need all that extra protein, just choosing to mix it with highly caloric foods. What with all the oreos and ice cream that could easily be an extra 3500 cals a week so not necessarily just extra waste per se.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    iron_born wrote: »
    they_see_me_trollin___by_stormx6-d5s11i8.jpg

Strong first post.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    bettencc87 wrote: »
    Hi, you're gaining weight because you're snacking on oreos and ice cream. You need to change up your midday snack with something that fills you up but doesn't have all the sugar/calories that oreos and ice cream have. Try eating something high in fiber- like veggies with hummus. You can also get protein from a hard boiled egg. There are other protein shakes that won't contain as much sugar, although many are high in calories and meant to fuel after or before a workout. If you aren't burning all of those calories through working out, there is no need to drink a protein shake at all. Good luck!
    Oh, and I think unsweetend almond milk is great always in place of regular, but again if you're eating oreos, it won't make much of a difference.

Oh ok I guess that makes sense, I thought that because it was all in liquid form then my body wouldn't absorb the calories? I guess that probably wasn't the case though. I think I'll try your suggestions from now on

**doublefacepalm**
  • jessmessmfp
    jessmessmfp Posts: 38 Member
    Chalk it up to noobz gain. The oreos actually have a lot of salt in them, so you'll retain water. But oreos are vegan - so "treat yo self". You do you.
  • karaleigh322
    karaleigh322 Posts: 14 Member
    It's because you forgot to add the king size snickers bar