August 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    25 miles today - marathon training proceeding well

but what a pain at the park - almost fell down twice thanks to uncontrolled dogs

plus GPS playing a lot, very frustrating

anyway 420km/400
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ - I allowed myself to buy one good hat, an Under Armour coldblack shadow running hat. I wouldn't dream of leaving the house on the hottest of days without it! It is so very much worth every cent I spent on it. I wash it after every run (just toss it in) and after a full season and many, many uses it looks and functions as well now as when I bought it.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options

8/3/15 - 10 miles
    8/4/15 - 5.34 miles
    8/5/15 - 4 miles
    8/6/15 - 4.1 miles (corrected from 4.0 yesterday - misrepresented!)
    8/7/15 - 5 miles
    8/10/15 - 5.2 miles
    8/11/15 - 7.8 miles
    8/12/15 - 4.05 miles
    8/13/15 - 4.02 miles
    8/14/15 - 4.5 miles
    8/17/15 - 7 miles
    8/18/15 - 7 miles
    8/19/15 - 2 miles
    8/21/15 - 4 miles
    8/23/15 - 13.1 miles (Nearly Sane Trail Half Marathon)

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Oh, and to chime in on the "two 4 miles runs vs one 8 mile run"-question:
    How long of a break is okay for a run to be counted as a single run, and after what kind of break would you say that it's split in two?

Waiting for 1-2 minutes for a traffic light to turn green is probably no big deal, but how about a 10 minute buy-water-and-use-restroom break at the halfway point of a 90 minute run?

Or what about two or three 5 minute geocaching stops spread across a 120 minute run? (That's something I'm usually guilty off on the rare cases where I drive to some nice spot further away for a sunday long run embarrassed-smiley62.gif)
    Really bad habit, that wastes a lot of the long-run benefits, or still okay?

Personally, one run is continuous cardio activity. Running- walking- running -walking with potty/water/fuel stops is one run for me.

Runners world had an article on the subject. Breaking up runs is fine. But if you are training and break up your long run you are not gaining the cardiovascular workout which you'll need come race day.

I have a few running hats. I'll just jump in the shower with mine and rinse it out, maybe rub a bit of soap over it. Hasn't been an issue with the falling apart. I've had this one for 2 years now.
  • Elise4270
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @ruqayyahsmum that migraine sounds horrible. lll have them for days. I'm always fragile after one and it'll take some time before I'm up for a run. But mine are food related and it can take some time to get it out of my system.

Glad it was short lived!

I agree with the electrolyte suggestion. Also I'd look into advice from your doc. There's daily meds or abortive meds. If you don't know the triggers, I'd suggest looking in to your food diary as well as heat and stress. Adding coconut water might help. There are no calorie electrolyte replacement drinks. Propel just came out with one, no flavor or colors. And Powerade makes flavored ones.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It's been a full weekend here and I have 3 runs to log, after which I'm 83/100 miles toward my goal.

Friday night: 7.3 mile solo run. My son got out of running because my wife brought up the fact that most of the week he had 4 hours of soccer practice each day and needed a rest.

Saturday morning: 3.8 mile run with Kody. Felt stiff the entire way and didn't make the 4 miles I had planned. Was going to go out later in the day for a 2 mile run with my son but an impending storm made us move up our grilled dinner, I didn't want to take him in the thunderstorm, and my hamstring was hurting.

Sunday morning: A kick-*kitten* 10.1 mile run (Distance PR by a tenth of a mile) with Kody. Great temps (61F), cloudy, windy, and a great place to run. I had intended on 8 miles, but between having to double back because the trail didnt' continue as I thought, and feeling great, I made it longer. Started in Minnehaha Falls Regional Park and ran along the river to Fort Snelling State Park, and around Pike Island, the end of which is the confluence of the Minnesota and Mississippi Rivers. Kody had a great run as well and never seemed to get tired, though he's been pretty chill since we got home. Having to double back turned into a blessing. It made me cross the entrance to Fort Snelling just as it opened and they had a color guard, dressed in period uniforms, playing drums and marching. I couldn't enter the fort with Kody with me, but I could see the color guard and take some pictures.
    4e4th4uviahe.jpeg

Planning on 2 more miles later tonight with my son after dinner settles. With that, I'll have 34 miles for the week, a new weekly miles PR.

I feel sorry for you folks who are still dealing with brutal summer heat. Here's the temps on my last 5 runs:
    61F, 66F, 75F, 59F, 66F
    I can definitely feel the difference.

Some photos from today's run:

Kody on the run:
    fmajbpfhvk3h.jpg
    The trail on Pike Island
    8vlqj0zkx909.jpg
    Kody at the confluence of the Mississippi River (to the left and straight ahead) and the Minnesota River (to the right)
    peak5892qzsq.jpg
    Fort Snelling, once a US Military outpost during the westward expansion
    zva9f95f83pp.jpg
    A grave stone at the fort for a horse named Whiskey
    ceap9oip3ct3.jpg
    Forst Snelling
    67kkus8aamt2.jpg
    Fort Snelling
    cizncjs4mgyn.jpg
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @mwyvr - Great Time and great views.
    Was searching the Internet and found a site where they listed the record times - those had to have been done early in the day, midweek or on dedicated speed-race days. Looks like everyone is On-track to hit there goals.
    It's getting to that time of year where my early morning pre-work runs will soon need a headlight.

Just went through my Bling Bag from the Tri Wo-Ho Gift Certificates to the local Running and Sports stores. The DQ, A&W and Ronnies Gift Certs will go to my Niece and Nephew who have little kids that can eat all the Sweets. It's time to start building my Wish list of gear. My first addition is the Under Armour coldblack shadow running hat mentioned by @WhatMeRunning .
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    @patrikc333, dang! that's a heck of a run! Sorry to hear about the irresponsible pet owners though.
    @_nikkiwolf_, I sweat like a horse. I can lose 4 pounds during a 9 or 10 mile run. What I found that works wonderfully is a hat from The North Face "Flight Series" line. What makes this hat worth every one of those 2600 pennies I paid for it, is that the part of the brim that is against your forehead is foam rather than plastic. This foam does two things...first, it makes the one-size-fits-all, truely a size that fits all. I have a big head but the flexibility of the foam makes it very comfortable for me to wear. Even more importantly, the foam sucks the sweat from my forehead and makes it drip off the front edge of the bill. In the heat of the run, I get almost no sweat dripping on my face but quite bit falling off the front edge. I either rinse it out in the sink when I get home or toss it in the wash with my other running clothes. I air dry it.
    @WhatMeRunning , good question on splitting long runs. @Stoshew71, great response.
    @juliet3455, great job on the tri!
    @CancerSurvivor2014 , congrats on the PR! You destroyed that old 5 mile PR!
    @kristinegift , beautiful run! Sounds like I'm not the only one enjoying the cooler temps.
    @mwyvr, great selfie, and a great Grinder!
    @skippygirlsmom , sorry to hear about the tough runs and the SkippyGirl's wasp sting!
    @kimlight2, congrats on the distance PR and on your progress!
    @CrimsonWhite , one of the problems with Runkeeper...or any phone app...is that it's only as accurate as your phone's GPS, which in my case is horrible. I got tired of seeing weird jags across a lake that I never did, so I ended up buying a Garmin Forerunner 305, a very old but capable model, for just $45 from a guy advertising on Craigslist. I've been VERY happy with it.

I'm sure I missed a few well deserved congratulations but I gotta get going!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - Kody! So sweet! And the other pictures are good too ... but Kody! Awwwww! Great runs!
    @_nikkiwolf_ - I sweat a ton when biking and running. I just go with old fashioned head bands. I have 3 of them. One is like really old-fashioned 70s one -- terrycloth. Like what they wore in the movie Dodgeball. I only wear that in the dark, lol. Then I have a cheapo Goody brand one that works if it isn't too hot since I sweat a ton. Lately I've been wearing my Under Armour one. I read it isn't good to wear a hat when it's super hot out, so that's why I've opted for headbands. I keep meaning to check out visors, but never seem to get to it.

So many awesome runs this weekend! I was just biking, but will do a short run tomorrow, then a little longer Wednesday and then off to San Francisco where I hope to get in one LONG run, finally. And a short one.

Aug 1 - 43 mile bike ride
    Aug 2 - 37 mile bike ride
    Aug 3 - 4.1 miles
    Aug 4 - 4.15 miles in morning; strength training and cycling class. Yeah, I’m crazy.
    Aug 5 - 6.15 miles - too hot to do my long run for the week.
    Aug 6 - strength training and cycling class (hills!)
    Aug 7 - rest day
    Aug 8 - 34 mile bike ride
    Aug 9 - 46 mile bike ride
    Aug 10 - 5.1 miles
    Aug 11 - 1 hr cycling class and strength training
    Aug 12 - 3.5
    Aug 13 - 4.25 miles; strength training and cycling class. Still crazy.
    Aug 14 - rest day
    Aug 15 - 44 mile bike ride
    Aug 16 - 47 mile bike ride
    Aug 17 - 5.5 miles + strength training
    Aug 18 - cycling class (1 hour, 20 miles)
    Aug 19 - 6 miles + strength training
    Aug 20 - cycling class
    Aug 21 - 5.2 miles
    Aug 22 - 46 mile bike ride
    Aug 23 - 40 mile bike ride

exercise.png

• ctdebbie
    ctdebbie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    While there is one week left in this challenge, I am going to set a goal of 20 miles and creating a ticker.

I am very impressed by many of the distances logged here! 20 miles will be ambitious for me.

Can anyone recommend a way to carry my cellphone and keys with me when I run. I have an iPhone 6 with a Life Proof case and I bought an armband that the phone and case will not fit in. Any ideas?
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    ctdebbie wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a way to carry my cellphone and keys with me when I run. I have an iPhone 6 with a Life Proof case and I bought an armband that the phone and case will not fit in. Any ideas?

I had an extra key made to take running. A single key is a lot easier to find a place for, such as tied in with the string that ties my shorts tighter, or in the tiny key pocket on some of my shorts, or tied into my shoe laces.

• ctdebbie
    Options
    exercise.png
  • ctdebbie
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

I had an extra key made to take running. A single key is a lot easier to find a place for, such as tied in with the string that ties my shorts tighter, or in the tiny key pocket on some of my shorts, or tied into my shoe laces.

Thanks, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/dispatch/mobile/user/7lenny7/profile/7lenny7
  • ctdebbie
    Options
    Oops, that's not what I was trying to do 7lenny7.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @ddmom0811 I found some headbands from fitchickheadbands that are cute and functional. No reason to wear the hat in the dark, but II still don't want my hair in my face.

I wore on today for the first time under my hat. Idk why really, just wanted to wear it. But I worked out nicely.

I got 3/$25 at a running store. They are available online if anyone's interested.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    Oops, that's not what I was trying to do 7lenny7.

No problem. What you need to do is put the @ sign before the username, and that's it. It will automatically link to the profile.

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

My initial plan was lots of miles and no speedwork. But if I'm going to do 4 days/wk with far shorter runs (4 to 6 miles) and one long run per week 16 to 20 miles) then I think it makes far more sense to do two of those shorter runs as tempo, intervals or hills. Especially hills.:smile:

Are you doing cutback weeks? It's important for recovery to do a shorter long run at least once every 3rd or 4th week or so. I usually cycle through and I'll do long runs ~14-16, 16-18, 18-20 and then do a 10 or 12 mile long run (and shorter runs during the week when I'd usually run longer) to give myself a good long break. Just make sure you aren't doing 16-20 every week, or your legs will probably start to argue with you!
    So true! I didn't mention cutback weeks. I used to do a 25% reduction in mileage every 4th week, but increased that to a 25% reduction every 3rd week this summer since my mileage increases plus added run days looked really intimidating on paper. May have been overkill, maybe not. I made it injury free though!

While I was in a good groove with the 56 mile weeks with a 16 miler each weekend on that sort of routine (2 high weeks, one low), I can't find a way to make the weekday runs work without sacrificing too much sleep.

I figure I will start at a "16, 20, 12" set of long runs, and if it seems doable then a "16, 20, 16, 12" set. After that second set, either way, I will be coming up on the time to start tapering.

Phew! That's a solid cutback schedule. But I've gotta ask: why all multiples of 4? You're missing fun odd-numbered miles like 15 and 11 ;)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Oh, and to chime in on the "two 4 miles runs vs one 8 mile run"-question:
    How long of a break is okay for a run to be counted as a single run, and after what kind of break would you say that it's split in two?

Waiting for 1-2 minutes for a traffic light to turn green is probably no big deal, but how about a 10 minute buy-water-and-use-restroom break at the halfway point of a 90 minute run?

Or what about two or three 5 minute geocaching stops spread across a 120 minute run? (That's something I'm usually guilty off on the rare cases where I drive to some nice spot further away for a sunday long run embarrassed-smiley62.gif)
    Really bad habit, that wastes a lot of the long-run benefits, or still okay?

I'd say that's fine. Sometimes with my running group we stand around waiting for latecomers between loops or to regroup for 10-15 mins. I still count it as one run. If your sweat has all dried though and it's been an hour or longer then it might count as two separate efforts.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    8.1.15.... 5.41 M... 52:30.
    8.2.15.....Rest
    8.3.15.... 1 HR Lift + 2 hrs dance
    8.4.15.... 3.19 M.... 28:10 Afternoon Hot Run + 2 hrs of dance
    8.5.15.... 4.18 M....39:06 Nice cool morning run- feeling stiff-
    8.5.15.... Pt And Chiro Rest otherwise
    8.6.26.... 3.05 M..... 27:59 super cool morning
    8.7.15..... PT and Chiro- Rest otherwise
    8.8.15.... 6.30...1:01 Calf problems
    8.11.15... 3.02...30... super slow and rainy
    8.12.15.... 4.19 ...37:57... moderate-
    8.13.15.....3.00.... 35........Tread mill hills
    8.15.15..... 7.51.... 1:17- Hill run- WOOT WOOT
    8.18.15.....3.12..... 26:16-solid 3 miles
    8.19.15.... 4.16....39.27- holy.crap. humid lying run was lying- also- hysterical sweaty poop
    8.23.15.... 8.03 ...1:12... Super dark- totally ran only 3 miles with any light- quiet nervous. @kristinegift I ran the canal from Alexander- 3 out 3 back then turned right and made it to the Princeton Station- I thought my phone told me ONE MORE MILE TO GO- so I ran a little further then turned around- turns out it was just pep talking me and I was half way down and it said"ONE MORE MILE TO GO" damnit- ran past my car and up the steep hill toward rt 1 and then came back to my car. Felt really good other than running in the complete dark in an area I'm only mildly familiar!

58.2 of 75 miles
    79.05 of total 225-