Water intake

i want to start drinking water.. I don't drink nearly enough and at the gym I always see some men and women carry around milk jugs with lines and the times to drink this much water through out the day... Is it a pain to carry that around all day.. Any other suggestions to on a bottle to use that maybe smaller and idk any advice or suggestion is needed and welcomed.

Replies

• lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    I use the Tervis tumblers which are 24 ounces and I try to drink 3 of those a day.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited July 2015
    You need tips on drinking water? Just do it. Any way you want is right, so long as you do it.

A gallon of water weighs about 7 lbs. How much you should drink is relative to quite a few variables. For instance, I am overweight, very active, eat low carb, and live in the desert. So I need somewhere between 1.5 - 2 gallons per day. That is a lot more than most. I sweat more, and eat less of food comprised mostly of water, such as fruits. Combine that with 110° days every day of the week and high humidity, and I need a lot!

Generally, peeing clear-ish about once per hour or two during the day is a good indicator you are drinking enough.
  • Jsantos5367
    Jsantos5367 Posts: 6 Member
    I try to get half my daily water intake in before 1030am. This only happens cause I chug it. I probably wont chug so much forever but it does help my consious. Cause hey im half way there. But in the end do what works for you. I was waking up with wicked bad headaches after a work out day. So I got sick of starting the day with a headache. Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • tlhawk14
    tlhawk14 Posts: 3 Member
    You need tips on drinking water? Just do it. Any way you want is right, so long as you do it.

A gallon of water weighs about 7 lbs. How much you should drink is relative to quite a few variables. For instance, I am overweight, very active, eat low carb, and live in the desert. So I need somewhere between 1.5 - 2 gallons per day. That is a lot more than most. I sweat more, and eat less of food comprised mostly of water, such as fruits. Combine that with 110° days every day of the week and high humidity, and I need a lot!

Generally, peeing clear-ish about once per hour or two during the day is a good indicator you are drinking enough.

No I don't need tips on drinking water... Lol I wanted to know if there is a better suggestion bottle wise instead of a gallon of milk jug.
    But thank you for the rest of your advice.
  • Riz72
    Riz72 Posts: 67 Member
    tlhawk14 wrote: »

No I don't need tips on drinking water... Lol I wanted to know if there is a better suggestion bottle wise instead of a gallon of milk jug.
    But thank you for the rest of your advice.

I go through a ton of water a day but that's not for everyone. Just keep a bottle around you and sip it throughout. Problem is when people are thirsty they go for sugary drinks (juices/pop), where as water is the best option.

They say when you're thirsty, that's actually a late warning sign and you should've had water long ago.

Here's the way I look at it... if you want 8 glasses a day, have one when you wake up, before you go to bed and every pre and post meal.

• kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    I have a small lightweight metal bottle that feels like nothing in my bag when it's empty. I fill it up as I go during the day, and usually drink 6-8 of that. It's probably somewhere around 20oz. I drink 2 or 3 right as soon as I get up in the morning, because otherwise I get headaches. There are also those soft water bottles that are foldable which is pretty cool. It's probably whatever you think you'll use, I got mine for free from school haha so that's what I have to use. Carrying a massive jug sounds unnecessary to me, unless you don't have another water source after you leave home in the morning.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    I'd suggest finding a bottle you really like. Myself I tend to drink more when using a straw so at home and work I use a plastic tumbler with a straw. For the gym I have a bottle that has a loop I can hook my chapstick and locker key to. I also have one of those infusion water bottles I really like (http://www.getfitbook.com/collections/shop-all/products/fitfuser-water-bottle). No way am I hauling around a gallon container either. Water will just be warm and it's a pain to haul around.
  • Chayacandoit
    Chayacandoit Posts: 67 Member
    Try wearing a small camelback while doing chores around the house or gardening.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    I do not drink 1 gallon/day. It is yet to kill me or make me feel bad. The people who walk around with gallon jugs are being ridiculous. The dangers of drinking too much water are just as bad as extreme dehydration. People have died chugging a gallon for stupid competitions.

Anyways, I have a 1qt nalgene bottle and keep it with me at work. I might drink 1-2 a day. I take it with me when I play ultimate.

If I have to be outside in the heat or I'm playing sports I'll drink more.
  • Spice1973
    Spice1973 Posts: 83 Member
    I have a 16oz bottle and just fill it up throughout the day. I usually fill it 4 times a day. You don't have to haul around a gallon jug unless you want to.