Chicken breast?/

Options
So I am a huge chicken breast fan! I put chicken in every dinner (pinterest girl!) I cook to get my main source of protein for the day. Well tonight I'm thinking I just want a straight chicken breast for dinner. I have many friends who have lost tons of weight tell me its okay to have a whole chicken breast and ignore the 4 oz. With the amount of excersise I do I will be okay with a little extra protein. Yet everything I see online says to stick with 4 oz. Do you go by ounces or will you just eat a whole breast?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Well...you never said what your goals were vis a vis weight.

If your goal is to lose weight, you can eat as much as you want - provided you don't go over your calorie allotment for the day. There's nothing magical about 4 ounces...that's just the common "serving size" of most meats. If you eat six ounces, you'll have eaten 1.5 servings, and 1.5 the amount of calories in 1 serving. 8 ounces = 2x the calories, etc.

Add them up and as long as you have room in your calorie allotment for the day - no issues.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    there is a rule about not eating more than 4oz of chicken? Never heard that one!

I'd say to ignore that rule, whatever it is.

What you really need to worry about with protein is how many grams you are getting overall for the day. You need to make sure you are getting enough to maintain and rebuild your muscles as you lose weight. As for a "per meal" limit, there are no real definative studies that prove that a certain amount of protein in one sitting is too much. I try to stick to 50g per meal or less, but that is just a preference of mine that helps me keep calories under control and spreads out my protein intake some.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The 4 ounce guideline is really for people who aren't exercising, lifting weights and counting calories. It's one of those general guidelines to help people make good food choices when they aren't tracking what they eat. If you want more chicken breast and it fits into your goals, have more chicken breast.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I've never read this 4 oz rule. Just weight the chicken and enter whatever amount it is. If you have enough calories in your daily budget left, sure eat the whole chicken for all I care.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Weigh it out and log it. As long as you fit it into your daily calorie goal, you should be fine.
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not. It can help you reach protein goal faster.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    4oz is just a recommended serving size. If you have the calories to eat more, eat as much chicken as your heart desires.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Chicken is great low calorie protein. 100g is about 100kcal and has about 25g of protein. We regularly eat 200g or 300g with vegetables for our evening meal. No probs, so long as it fits into your calorie profile :-)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    The 4 ounce guideline is really for people who aren't exercising, lifting weights and counting calories. It's one of those general guidelines to help people make good food choices when they aren't tracking what they eat. If you want more chicken breast and it fits into your goals, have more chicken breast.

Cosigned.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I eat a whole chicken breast all the time (whole being 7-8oz on average). They come in ~250 calories or so, and eat them typically with a side of (pick 2) rice, asparagus, strawberries, corn, potatoes, grapes, green beans, or whatever.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    weigh it, eat it, log it
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It depends. I'm pretty small so I typically go with 4 oz which is usually about half. I love it with chicken broth, veggies, maybe a little rice, and curry and garlic. YUM! Once of my go to protein choices.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The weight loss is about calories.

Chicken breasts are big. If I eat an entire breast all at once, I'm going to feel stuffed and I don't want that feeling, so it's not for me.

But if you want to eat it and it doesn't make you feel like you just swallowed a rock, eat it!! :)
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    If it fits your calories, I don't see a problem. Who says one shouldn't eat more than 4 oz chicken? If I could fit 10 oz chicken into my macros and I wanted to eat that much chicken, I certainly would.

But alas, I only get excited about chicken when it's breaded and deep fried. Baked or grilled chicken...meh, take it or leave it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    Options
    after 4 oz does it not have calories? ;)

didnt think so LOL
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Do you go by ounces or will you just eat a whole breast?

I never go by ounces. I go by grams.

And beyond that, I go by calories, protein, and what fits in my day, and what else I'm eating with the chicken. There's nothing special about 4 oz.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Woah. So you thought you couldn't eat more than 4 ounces? You can eat whatever, however much of anything you want, so long as you make it fit into your allotment.
  • eshnna
    eshnna Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    All of a sudden I am hungry for chicken. I usually eat and log 150g-200g per meal.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    as long as it fits in your goals, I say go ahead. Better to eat more chicken than chips..lol