Strength Standards for the general population

ForecasterJason
ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
edited July 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I think every strength standard chart I've seen is relative to the population that lifts weights or at least does some training on the exercises. While I am no expert on this subject, I decided to create a percentile chart to approximate how much weight the general population under age 40 can bench press. I took into account several variables.

As a guide, I used the strength standards for adults under age 40 here as a guide, knowing that (from what I've read) most men can't bench press their own bodyweight. I also know there are major differences in strength between a completely untrained individual and one that has trained for several years, and most people on this forum are much stronger than the average person. And from what I've read, most people don't even lift weights on a consistent basis. I also factored in anecdotal accounts I've read as well as examples from myself and people I know in real life. I suspect the higher percentiles are more subject to larger error, as much of the examples I used from what most people I know most likely bench were based on those who are untrained.

Thoughts on whether this may have any real accuracy, or am I way off?

i9osk4urhm24.jpg

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    women's standards suck- and the 15 weight class jump is annoying (IMHO)
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited July 2015
    (Yes, I'm about to "go there"--apologies in advance to the purists). I think at least for women, the CrossFit guidelines are a bit more realistic for the masses. Especially when it comes to bench press. A lot of women can't even do a full push-up, remember. I *can*--in fact, I can crank them out pretty nicely--and it still took me a couple months of dumbbell press to build up to benching the bar alone.

Additionally, I don't think you can track categories like untrained, novice, advanced etc into percentiles. That assumes that all people lift, and progress evenly. The vast, vast majority of (e.g.) women, even women who work out, are not Stronglifting or Wendlering or whatever.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    (Yes, I'm about to "go there"--apologies in advance to the purists). I think at least for women, the CrossFit guidelines are a bit more realistic for the masses. Especially when it comes to bench press. A lot of women can't even do a full push-up, remember. I *can*--in fact, I can crank them out pretty nicely--and it still took me a couple months of dumbbell press to build up to benching the bar alone.

Additionally, I don't think you can track categories like untrained, novice, advanced etc into percentiles. That assumes that all people lift, and progress evenly. The vast, vast majority of (e.g.) women, even women who work out, are not Stronglifting or Wendlering or whatever.

no- it's true- and something to keep in mind.

I personally tend to lose track of what a woman who doesn't do ANY working out - is NOT currently capable of- I grew up throwing heavy things around- i have always been able to pick up and push things- so I know for me- my perception of what someone who isn't trained can do- is... off. I remember I got my *kitten* HANDED to me for saying bench at 135 was warm up weight- I was genuinely confused why people were so annoyed with me but- because for me- it has been for many years. And apparently- I also live in a bubble. It's definitely a valid point- and I think to some extent- we here are a little bit in a bubble- and in any fitness forum. Our standards for ourselves are ALWAYS higher than we they really are- and are substantially higher than what an untrained counterpart would be.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Where are squats and deadlifts?
  • ForecasterJason
    edited July 2015
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    Where are squats and deadlifts?
    I haven't done much research on these exercises from an anecdotal perspective (in terms of how much untrained individuals can lift), so this would be a little harder for me. But granted, I would imagine similar principles would hold for these lifts as well. Meaning, the 50th percentiles would probably correlate with the mid end of the untrained category.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    The numbers seem like ballpark at a glance, but what's the point if I may ask? If 90% of the population doesn't work out at all then why does it matter what they can bench press? That's why I'm generally curious where I stand among the population of lifters, not random people who've never seen the inside of a gym.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    If 90% of the population doesn't work out at all then why does it matter what they can bench press?

Well, how else do you determine someone's worth as a human being on planet Earth? o:)
  • ForecasterJason
    The numbers seem like ballpark at a glance, but what's the point if I may ask? If 90% of the population doesn't work out at all then why does it matter what they can bench press? That's why I'm generally curious where I stand among the population of lifters, not random people who've never seen the inside of a gym.
    You do have a point. But since the bench press is often regarded as being one test of upper body strength in general, I think it does have some relevancy for people who are just starting out. That being said, I'm debating whether it'd be worth it to develop charts for adults over 40 or even for squats and deadlifts.

• edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member

Were those front or back squats, do you know?

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    If 90% of the population doesn't work out at all then why does it matter what they can bench press?

Well, how else do you determine someone's worth as a human being on planet Earth? o:)

Good point. :grin:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Your percentiles do not translate. Somewhere around 80% of Americans fall into the 5th percentile, which means they are untrained and would perform at the untrained number. Only 1% of Americans are at the Advanced level (or your 75th percentile).
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    is this on a bowflex or barbell
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member

tumblr_inline_nkz5y7cQ7F1rc3nvc.gif
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    I think at least for women, the CrossFit guidelines are a bit more realistic for the masses. Especially when it comes to bench press.

Yes, this seems more realistic.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member

Neither......... Smith Machine...........
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Bret Contreras has a chart based on women who he has trained. His article, which includes a reminder about how many people don't lift at all, explains it a bit:

http://bretcontreras.com/female-strength-levels/
  • ForecasterJason
    Additionally, I don't think you can track categories like untrained, novice, advanced etc into percentiles. That assumes that all people lift, and progress evenly.
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Your percentiles do not translate. Somewhere around 80% of Americans fall into the 5th percentile, which means they are untrained and would perform at the untrained number. Only 1% of Americans are at the Advanced level (or your 75th percentile).

I think there may be some confusion here. I wasn't trying to have the percentiles match the untrained, novice, intermediate, advanced, and elite standards. This is why the 50th percentile numbers are actually still in the untrained category, and the 5th percentile numbers are lower than any numbers you would see on any other chart. Likewise, what I have as the 95th percentile is around the intermediate level on other strength standards charts. I'm sure there may still be some overestimation though.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    You do have a point. But since the bench press is often regarded as being one test of upper body strength in general, I think it does have some relevancy for people who are just starting out. That being said, I'm debating whether it'd be worth it to develop charts for adults over 40 or even for squats and deadlifts.

Newbies shouldn't be doing 1-rep max tests, due to the high risk involved.
    Besides, newbies shouldn't worry about how they compare with other newbies - they should just follow a good strength program. :+1:
  • ForecasterJason
    edited July 2015
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Besides, newbies shouldn't worry about how they compare with other newbies - they should just follow a good strength program. :+1:
    This is true. I actually thought about safety earlier as a possible reason why there aren't too many of these charts around (though I do think the one for women from Bret Contreras that jemhh linked to may be more realistic). It's not very easy and safe to get untrained people to test this out.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Most people unless competing probably should not be doing 1 rep max due to the injury thing.