BMR and fmp recommended calorie intake don't match

Why does fmp want me to eat 1200 base calories but when I went to tool on fmp it states that my bmr is 1533? Should I be eating 1200 or 1533 as base calories? Thanks with your help and clarification

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    You probably told MFP you want to lose 2 lbs a week. That means you need a 1000 calorie a day deficit. MFP doesn't give calorie goals less than 1200.

Set MFP to 1 lb a week.
  • alencse
    alencse Posts: 5 Member
    I did tell MFP that I wanted to lose 2 pounds per week. I thought that was a realistic goal. They explain BMR as being the calories you need for your body to function. So when I eat only 1200 calories does that make the body feel starved or will it burn fat for the added calories it needs.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    I did tell MFP that I wanted to lose 2 pounds per week. I thought that was a realistic goal. They explain BMR as being the calories you need for your body to function. So when I eat only 1200 calories does that make the body feel starved or will it burn fat for the added calories it needs.

There are a million threads on this.

2 lbs a week is too much unless you've got a ton of weight to lose. If your BMR is 1533, you don't have a ton of weight to lose.

Set the weight loss goal to 1 lb a week and eat back your exercise calories because it seems you've probably chosen "sedentary" or "lightly active."