Fitness Trackers

I'm going to start running again. I am curious to see how much mileage I do while running. I would also like to see my Heart Rate and time.
My overall goal is to just have fun with it at first. But slowly progress to a 5K like I used to do before injuries.
I'm having troubles with finding a good Fitness Tracker that I can wear all day and night long. Possibly one that reads it right on the wrist instead of hooking it up to a device. I know that may be necessary, but I would like to see my Heart Rate while Running, my Steps while running, etc. There are SO many out on the market. I have a low budget, but I do want to invest in this. Could someone lead me in the right direction? Which one is the best to get? What do you recommend and why?

Thank-you for taking your time to read!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    One of the newer fitbits has a HR monitor included. I believe it is the Charge. I just have the Fitbit One - no HR monitor and it isn't a wrist style. But I don't need a device to read it and it works great for tracking steps and sleep.
  • MalinaJean
    MalinaJean Posts: 2 Member
    I have a regular fit bit also but the fit bit charge does do the heart rate and steps. I use the app on my smart phone. I love it! We are doing a wellness challenge at work and it work perfectly.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    To start, on the cheap while figuring out your heart rate and activity monitor options, download a free smartphone run-tracking app like Runkeeper.

If you do not need a waterproof device for swimming (in which case Polar brand is pretty much the only option), then the Fitbit Charge HR (around $180?) will probably do all the things you want. It reads heart rate at the wrist 24/7 without a chest strap, and can be used to specifically record an exercise session.

I'm not sure if the Charge HR will upload heart-rate data to Runkeeper/phone-based running apps, though. My sister claims you have to buy the upgraded Runkeeper package (more analytics & group run functions) to see the Fitbit heart rate on Runkeeper, but I think she linked the web apps and hasn't tried to synchronize her Charge HR directly to the phone.. So you'd have to check on this.

If you don't mind pulling your phone out of your pocket to check your stats, you can buy a chest strap heart rate monitor like the Polar H7, or the Wahoo, that communicates with your phone via Bluetooth. They cost around $70. I have found you need the phone in a side or front pocket or you get signal dropouts--a fanny pack won't work.

I swim, so I got a Polar A300 bundled with an H7 chest strap heart rate monitor, for $180. This is an activity monitor and sport watch, but does not measure heart rate 24/7, only when you are wearing the chest strap. The strap can talk to the watch while swimming (a feature unique to Polar brand). It can also talk directly to any smart-phone app that can recognize bluetooth-based heart rate monitors.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Fitbit charge hr, is the way to go, it does everyone you want it to, I got mine last Friday and I LOVE IT. really didn't think I would, I hate walking but now, I can't stop..lol.. It's the best $200 (I am in Canada) I have ever spent on myself. I highly recommend it.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    edited July 2015
    You need a fitness tracker with a heart rate monitor strap, in order to get accurate real time monitoring of your heart rate. Trackers and watches that have the heart rate built in are not very accurate at all.

I have a Polar M400 that I wear 24/7 (except when I am charging it). I also have the Polar H7 heart rate monitor which I wear every workout. I got the watch and the heart rate monitor for $166.00 on Amazon. The watch has GPS built in, monitors steps, calories, sleep, will prompt you to get up a move, iPhone notification compatible, amongst many other features.

If your budget is smaller than the Polar M400 with strap, the Polar A300 as previously mentioned is a very good device. And if swimming is something that you want to do with your workouts, that is the better device, as the Polar M400 is not capable of reading heart rate under water.

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,760 Member
    I have the Charge HR which displays the heart rate with a tap of the finger. I used to use a Polar heart rate monitor strap, but kept forgetting to take it places with me. I have not found the Charge HR and Polar HRates to be that different, maybe differ by 10-20 calories burned? The FAQ talks about how to check for accuracy.

The Fitbit app lets you see your activity heart rate in a 5 min. increment graph, so you can track your progress over time.

If you want to see what else is out there, youtube has a number of fitness tracker reviews, not many include built in HR monitoring however.

In the US, the Charge HR will run you about $150. Also the HR is most important, the Charge HR fits on your wrist with a regular buckled strap, so it doesn't fall off. The ads often just call them both Charge, they are not the same, due to the strap and the heart rate monitor functionality.

The Surge is the pricier Fitbit at $250, it has HR and GPS built in, it also has firmware that lets it track biking, rowing type activities as well. For me it wasn't worth the difference in price.

• Butterf1y_Effect
    Butterf1y_Effect Posts: 30 Member
    I love my Polar M400 with heart rate monitor! The strap is a little long on the watch for small wrists, but it trims very nicely. You can find very detailed reviews of fitness trackers at dcrainmaker.com . Good luck finding the best device for your needs.