Squatting with a bad ankle

Options
kali31337
kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
I'm getting into squatting slowly and have been using the Smith Machine so I can work on my form. I tried moving to the squat machine (with very little weight) today and realized that due to a bad ankle (believe I ripped the peroneal tendon 2 years ago) that the bar throws off my balance and I barely could get back up without almost falling to the side. Should I just keep with the Smith Machine and take it as far as I can or go back to the squat rack and only squat with a spotter?

I really need to avoid hurting myself again at least until I can get health insurance and find a great orthopedist...

Replies

• kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    No PT unfortunately. I probably would have had it looked at but we were traveling Europe at the time and when you have nurses as parents, there's not much sympathy. While it was professionally wrapped, we gave it a day of rest and kept on going, which involved hiking Ireland. I do wrap it occasionally but do not like the wrap to workout in. I am focusing on stabling the ankle but will try those exercises as well. I spoke to one DR and he said that without an x-ray or MRI (which is really what i need) that there wasn't more he could tell me besides that it's clearly not right as it is still almost twice the size of the other one...
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You need to get it checked out. With injuries involving connective tissue they are notoriously slow to heal due to the structure of the tissue and insufficient blood flow. As your injury wasn't treated/diagnosed properly to begin with there may be adhesion's present along with a build up of scar tissue which could be causing problems.

If the smith machine causes you no issue then until you're able to ascertain if you need any pt to help with the mobility and strength of your ankle stick with it. A lot of people avoid the Smith because as the other poster said it takes away the engagement of the stabilizing muscles, but it does still have it's place in a well rounded program.

Once you have been cleared then start with an empty barbell and work on form. Slowly add in weight as you progress.