Should I even try? *sigh*

Options
Basically, I've resigned this week to be one of failure. Today was an end of school-year party, and I might have eaten ruffles and fritos until I couldn't feel feelings. My birthday is on Thursday, and we're having muffins in the morning (birthday tradition) and going out to dinner. Then I have a birthday party that spans from Saturday night to Sunday night and includes dinner at Red Robins, a sleepover with giggling girls and food, birthday cake, and vegan pizza in Seattle.

I don't know whether or not I should even try... It'll be hard to log everything and I'll probably be kidding myself if I think I can stay within my calorie budget. I really just want to be able to have fun on my birthday and not worry constantly about everything I'm putting in my mouth, because I get really stressed about food sometimes. How much could this possibly cost me? I know I won't lose weight this week, and I guess I'm okay with one week of no change but I just really don't want to gain.
Even though I know it's ridiculous I can't get the image of gaining like 10 pounds in one week out of my head.

Replies

• Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    You may gain a fair bit of weight, but most of it will be water and come right back off again! Honestly, if you are eating well 95% of the time in your life and staying active, any real weight you gain will come off again. It's important that you don't let a fear of weight gain rule your life, because that can lead to habits and behaviours and mindsets that are just as unhealthy as habitually overeating.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Throw in some extra exercise this week? And have a great birthday!!
  • nindakay
    nindakay Posts: 15
    Options
    Yes! Still try!! Try to make "better" choices. Only eat half the muffin. But your birthday? Don't stress it! I just got back from vacation - I ate at Red Robin one day, dessert twice that week and lots of other little "Cheats" and still lost two inches! You can do it!
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Math usually makes me feel more calm about these types of things.You have to actually eat OVER your maintenance calories by 3500 to gain 1lb. So try to pre-calculate what you're planning on eating each day coming up. You will probably find that you'll be going over your maintenance calories by between 100-500 a day for 7 days. You might gain at most, a pound of true fat. Then start again the next week and get back on track. You have the rest of your life to worry about your weight, take your birthday week off.

Any time anyone eats more, their bowels will store more waste, they will consume more sodium, and their weight will go up temporarily, it doesn't mean it's all fat.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Choose your priorities, then live with the choice and move on.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Throw in some extra exercise this week? And have a great birthday!!

Yep that will definitely offset some of the extra calories at the very least. And bonus if you do some kind of different exercise you might find a new favorite.
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The only failure I see there is 'vegan pizza'. :laugh:
    But, on a serious note; if you think you're going to fail, you will fail. Accept it.
    If you see that there will be obstacles to overcome this week and you make a plan and set your mind to overcoming them, your chances of success and self-satisfaction will increase. The choice is yours. Good luck.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It's your decision. If it were me, I would log anyway, plan ahead, and eat within a few hundred calories of maintenance.
  • janimei
    janimei Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    With lots of enjoyable meals coming soon, you can rough-calculate the calories for those meals and decide how you can cut out some calories without sacrificing the enjoyment. For thanksgiving, I allow myself stuffing (1 scoop) and a slice of pumpkin pie, but avoid all the quick breads, yams, and mashed white potatoes. At Red Robin (love those fries!), I would rather have the fries than the hamburger bun. I like the BBQ burger, but substitute turkey for the beef. Choices and planning, so when you're in the moment you have a plan.
    My birthday is coming next month, and I am going to have 2 slices of pie at a great pie shop (a friend will split them with me, so we each get 1 slice, but 2 flavors).
  • jessichri
    jessichri Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I was just on vacation for a week and my birthday was yesterday...so for the past week and a half I haven't logged hardly at all and definitely went over most days. I gained probably 1.5 pounds (or less, still up and down) after it all was said and done but ya know what? I had FUN! Don't forget we still have to live our lives and enjoy. Maybe skip a weigh in to give yourself a week or so to lose the water weight and then get back to it.

Enjoy your life and don't feel bad when you have a human weekend and splurge. Have a great birthday! Eat that vegan pizza! ;)

**edited to add that I intended to log on vacation...but couldn't keep track of the massive amounts of beer I was consuming so decided to quit trying. If you can do it, more power to ya but that was stressing me out! :P
  • badmoose
    badmoose Posts: 25
    Options
    Log what you can, limit what you can, and don't worry about it. There are going to be times when we indulge. The trick is not making a habit of it. So you exceed your calorie budget. When you have that much going on, you're probably more active than usual too. And on days when you can cut back a little more, maybe do so.

Whatever you do, do not think of it as failing. You're in it for the long term. The only failure is to give up completely. To have a few days of celebratory indulgence isn't failure. It's something you owe to yourself for keeping the long term goals in mind and staying on the right course.

Think of it like sailing a boat. Sometimes you head straight toward your destination. Other times, you have to change directions and tack into the wind to make headway. The latter is slower progress, but it's still forward progress. Just keep your bearing constant even if your direction changes from time to time. You'll be fine
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    There will always be birthdays and graduations and holidays and weddings and any number of other celebrations in your life. If this is going to be a lifestyle change instead of a temporary diet then you're going to have to figure out how to fit them into your life. Trust me when I say that you can drive yourself crazy if you let yourself feel miserable about every special ocassion.
  • littlelady2b
    littlelady2b Posts: 104
    Options
    You are here to lose weight and to learn the only way to do that is to face challenges like this. You need to decide am I going on a bender and just going to binge or am I going to still have fun but I'm going to eat healthy and enjoy some extras as well. You don't have to deprive yourself to stay on track or at least close to it. Decide what you want to do make that decision stick to it. Log in throw some exercise in when you can and keep track even if you go over. I wouldn't judge myself through this its a fun time so enjoy it. Happy B'day :flowerforyou:
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Log as accurately as you can, but enjoy yourself. The most you can hope for is to limit the damage if you intend to celebrate and relax your normal eating style for this week.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

"I don't know whether or not I should even try... It'll be hard to log everything and I'll probably be kidding myself if I think I can stay within my budget. I really just want to be able to have fun on my birthday and not worry constantly"

I wonder if you would give up this easily on your monetary budget. There are consequences to overspending. There are consequences to overeating. Maybe your focus should be on learning to have a good time within your budget. Surely your birthday is not ALL about food. It's your mindset. Not denying yourself everything. Just being careful with your budget. Happy Birthday!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I would log it and try to eat within reason but still have some "blow out options" like a piece of cake or something...

at red robin get a burger with no fries..the fries are what kill you anyway..
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I just had a birthday party weekend plus family brunch the next day, lunch today, free dinner and alcoholic drinks tonight. At first it was a hell of a lot of fun splurging, but by this stage I really just want to get back on track. I May have taken a couple steps back, but my motivation has tripled.
    Just go with the flow and make healthy choices. Its just a bump in the road, could be fun!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    It's up to you - if you really want to do this, eat whatever without worrying - then go for it. If you want to enjoy yourself and still exercise some degree of control - you can do that. it doesn't ever have to be an all or nothing issue - there is a middle road. enjoy yourself, enjoy your birthday and do the best you can. you can still make better choices, even if you are having cake and muffins. for example - have just the muffin top (best part!). have half a piece of cake but eat it slowly and savor it. someone once told me - the last bite of cake tastes the same as the first bite. sometimes that helps me to stop.

whatever you do - have a great birthday! and don't see this as a failure.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    This is a lifelong change so don't sweat this week. Do the best you can when you can, and get back to it next week. Life will have lots of celebrations that involve food, and I know that I don't intend to exclude myself for the next 40 years in fear of gaining a pound. You are very close to your goal, so you know you will lose anything you put on this week. Have fun and Happy Birthday!!!
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Just echoing what everyone else is saying really; this is a lifelong, lifestyle change. There will always be borthdays and reasons to go out and celebrate, so why not accept that, have fun for a few days, and make sure you get back on track as soon as you can :)