Random exercise--Will it work?

Options
msstatz
msstatz Posts: 163 Member
I recently completed Insanity with great results. I am now looking for something else to do to increase my strength, stamina and weight loss. I have been running every other day as well as doing a random Insanity video here and there. I'm wondering would it be effective to not have an exercise routine that is set in stone but to have kind of a random one? For example, run every other day with biking, rollerblading, treadmill, Insanity videos in between. Would I see results by doing something every day but not necessarily doing the min the exact same order? Would that work or would that be to random to see any results? Just curious as I don't want to get bored but I also want to get the most out of my work out. Also, any recommendations as to how to start weight lifting? How many exercises do I need to do each day? (I know that I need to alternate body parts on different days.) Would it work if I did arms on Monday and Wednesday and legs, butt on Tuesday and Thursday with something else on Friday? How do I know how many reps to do and how much weight to lift? Is it better to do the same arm workout both times or to do two different workouts?

I would be grateful for any feedback you can give me. Thanks so much!

Replies

• MrsWells1983
    MrsWells1983 Posts: 160
    Options
    I'm starting Stonglifts 5x5 as a easy to use beginner weightlifting routine. It's free and online, I recommend you look it up. Or try New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROL4W), I have the book but haven't been able to read it yet, which is why I'm starting with SL 5x5. (Sorry I'm assuming you are a woman!)

I'm doing SL 5x5 Mon, Wed, Fri and a 1hr boxing class on Thu. That's it. If I feel as though I need to take a walk due to muscle pain on recovery days I will, but it won't be intense.
  • msstatz
    Options
    I'm starting Stonglifts 5x5 as a easy to use beginner weightlifting routine. It's free and online, I recommend you look it up. Or try New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROL4W), I have the book but haven't been able to read it yet, which is why I'm starting with SL 5x5. (Sorry I'm assuming you are a woman!)

I'm doing SL 5x5 Mon, Wed, Fri and a 1hr boxing class on Thu. That's it. If I feel as though I need to take a walk due to muscle pain on recovery days I will, but it won't be intense.

Thanks for the recommendation! I will have to check it out.

Has anyone else used this program? Any input?
  • alwayskungfu
    Options
    Its always good to keep the body guessing, so in a nutshell yes...but do not forget to rest, thats when your body repairs and grows, so always include rest days, as and when you body tells you, listen to your body be mindful, its all about Yin and Yang, its all about balance.
    Good luck :0)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    "Would that work or would that be to random to see any results? "

For fat burning, why wouldn't it work? You're making your lifestyle more active.

"Just curious as I don't want to get bored but I also want to get the most out of my work out. "

For strength training you will have to be consistent.
  • msstatz
    Options

For fat burning, why wouldn't it work? You're making your lifestyle more active.

"Just curious as I don't want to get bored but I also want to get the most out of my work out. "

That is what I was thinking and that is why I asked. I just get bored doin he same cardio every day or following a strict schedule. As far as weight lifting goes, any suggestions?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

That is what I was thinking and that is why I asked. I just get bored doin he same cardio every day or following a strict schedule. As far as weight lifting goes, any suggestions?

Me, too. Hence I do a number of different sports/activities.

As others have said: stronglifts 5x5. http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Could apply the same principles using 3x6, of course. It's what I do.
  • msstatz
    Options

Me, too. Hence I do a number of different sports/activities.

As others have said: stronglifts 5x5. http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Could apply the same principles using 3x6, of course. It's what I do.

After reading about strong lift 5x5, it sounds like something I would be interested in. However, I do not have a chin up/pull up bar. Do to know of an alternative move that could be substituted?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I find that actually training with a purpose is far more productive and the results are far better than just randomly doing ****. Generally when you are training for some purpose, your training is going to involve all aspects of fitness...ie endurance, cardio, flexibility, balance, and strength...and will involve these things in an intelligent and progressive manner.