OMG protien

Options
2»

Replies

• ToshaG86
    ToshaG86 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful tips.. I feel so motivated now hahaha gnc recommended me to have 2 meal replacement shakes a day but that don't sound to fun... I love real food so that makes it even harder..but one day at a time :)
  • ToshaG86
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    jesustosha wrote: »
    I was told to double my protein amount to help keep me full longer and to help maintain muscle or build muscle. Then something about muscle will burn more fat?? I really want to do bodybuilding competitions later AFTER I loose all this nasty fat.. I'm so far away from achieving that but one step closer than I was yesterday..

Just keep at it. To put it in perspective I am 5'7" and I aim for between 90-115g protein/day. I determined this number based on lean body mass. It may be different because of your overall weight-but the amount you are aiming for seems like more than you need. It can't hurt-but if you're struggling don't worry about it.

Calories are King. Get used to eating within your calorie goal. THEN start to worry more about your macronutrient requirements. Yes, adequate protein is important, but only CICO will make you lose weight. Don't give yourself more to worry about than absolutely necessary.

Also, are you getting exercise? Lifting weights or something similar? This will be the greatest determining factor in body composition as you lose weight.

TL/DR: calories first, macros later, start working out.

Sorry but what's CICO?
    I just started on les mills combat :)
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    CICO= calories in vs calories out. It's all about the calories :smile:
  • ToshaG86
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    I was told to double my protein amount to help keep me full longer and to help maintain muscle or build muscle. Then something about muscle will burn more fat?? I really want to do bodybuilding competitions later AFTER I loose all this nasty fat.. I'm so far away from achieving that but one step closer than I was yesterday..

Just keep at it. To put it in perspective I am 5'7" and I aim for between 90-115g protein/day. I determined this number based on lean body mass. It may be different because of your overall weight-but the amount you are aiming for seems like more than you need. It can't hurt-but if you're struggling don't worry about it.

Calories are King. Get used to eating within your calorie goal. THEN start to worry more about your macronutrient requirements. Yes, adequate protein is important, but only CICO will make you lose weight. Don't give yourself more to worry about than absolutely necessary.

Also, are you getting exercise? Lifting weights or something similar? This will be the greatest determining factor in body composition as you lose weight.

TL/DR: calories first, macros later, start working out.

Sorry but what's CICO?
    I just started on les mills combat :)

Calories in calories out? K ;) or burn more than I consume in a day?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Calories in/Calories out. You don't need to be using meal replacement shakes. You can eat real food, just stick to your calorie goal. That's all I do. I keep half an eye on my macros but I don't stress too much over it.
  • ToshaG86
    Options
    How much calories you guy/gals think I should have a day?
  • skylarLorenzo
    skylarLorenzo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use Pea Protein it is thick and it slows the digestive track down so that you feel fuller longer
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    You can still have your sodas, but you might want to eat your calories instead of drink them. :)
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I just found an online calculator, and based on your weight, OP, it says 90g protein. That should be a lot more realistic.
  • ToshaG86
    Options
    I use Pea Protein it is thick and it slows the digestive track down so that you feel fuller longer

Really I didn't know, in fact didn't even know there was such a thing lol :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Input all your details in MFP, you could probably safely aim for 1.5-2lbs a week loss at your current weight (make sure to adjust this down as you lose) and you will get given your goal. I'm going to guess you'll get at least 1500-1600 calories a day, at least.
  • ToshaG86
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    You can still have your sodas, but you might want to eat your calories instead of drink them. :)

My soda habit is bad I can easily consume a 2lt soda with help from kids of course.. I rarely drink water.. Which I'm working on now to get in more water..
  • ToshaG86
    Options
    Input all your details in MFP, you could probably safely aim for 1.5-2lbs a week loss at your current weight (make sure to adjust this down as you lose) and you will get given your goal. I'm going to guess you'll get at least 1500-1600 calories a day, at least.

Ya it's got me at 1650 a day..
  • vivmom2014
    Options
    Drinking more water is a great idea. If you miss the fizz, try some of the flavored sparkling waters at Trader Joe's. Give yourself some time to adjust to missing the sweetness of soda, but they're really good - and zero calories! That way you can have a lot more delicious food within your goal of 1650 calories a day.
  • ToshaG86
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Drinking more water is a great idea. If you miss the fizz, try some of the flavored sparkling waters at Trader Joe's. Give yourself some time to adjust to missing the sweetness of soda, but they're really good - and zero calories! That way you can have a lot more delicious food within your goal of 1650 calories a day.

Ok I'll try that.. what brands are they? We don't got a traders Joe where I'm from.. Ya every time I try to quit soda I get really bad headaches.. but I definitely need to slow down some, cause with to much caffeine I get heart paltations..
  • vivmom2014
    Options
    Look in the grocery and see if they carry 0-calorie sparkling water. But, again, give yourself time. There's no rush with changing your eating habits. Make your small changes along the way - but stick to that calorie goal!
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was shocked by how little protein I had in my diet. Greek yogurt and turkey slices are easy snacks that have helped a lot. Also a whey protein shake during/after workouts and a casein shake before bed. I'm shooting for about .8 g per lb body weight.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I've always read that 30% of your calories from protein is a good ratio when you're exercising, for both recovery and muscle maintenance. This means about I'm in the same boat of trying to get enough protein, though - due to my size, I'm supposed to be eating 200+ grams of protein a day, and it's a struggle!
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I switched from soda to home made iced tea (3quarts of tea with 3/4 cup sugar and 1/8th cup lemon) and then from there to unsweetened iced tea. 3 quarts of Coca-Cola is 1,120 Calories, where as my tea was ~630 calories.

But as others said, there is no rush to change. Find something that works for you and that you can sustain, that is more important.