Three meals a day VS six meals a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• B_TEEN
    B_TEEN Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I no longer focus on meal timing. While I prefer to have an earlier eating window, it doesn't match my lifestyle. I try to fast at least 12-14 hours from the previous day's meal. Hopefully I can increase that to 16 hours to concentrate my eating within 8 hour window.

For meal frequency, normally, I eat two large meals (B,D) along with 2-3 lighter caloric meals. I've done a lot of reading in this area and am considering whether I should go back to the 3 large meals and snack only as needed; some research suggests that 3 large meals is better for digestion.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    What are the advantages of each?

Personal preference and happiness. Eat how ever often makes you happiest.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    meal timing, number of meals per day, etc is all personal preference. these things can make a difference if you have certain medical conditions to contend with and they can make a difference for some fitness and recovery applications...but weight loss itself is simply about consuming less energy (calories) than the body requires to maintain the status quot...unfortunately, people have difficultly with the simplicity and reach for things that complicate that which is really not complicated.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Once I found out that meal timing doesn't matter the last 10 pounds fell off. In the mornings I'm never hungry. So I'll probably eat 800 calories during the day until dinner and then I have 1000 calories to use and that 1000 calories keeps me full and keeps me from nightly binges.... It's wonderful....
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Ahh I see thank you guys! What about eating late at night? Does that have a negative effect when you're loosing weight?

Thank you! :smile:
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's only advantageous if you stay within your calorie restrictions to lose/gain/maintain weight. Number of meals is basically irrelevant to any of the above. This would be more of a preference than an need.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

None, other than personal preference.

If you are a world class athlete, it *might* make a small difference in performance levels.
    Meal timing is irrelevant, save that when you eat in a way and at a time that suits you, you're more likely to stick to your goals.

Nope! Eating late at night is fine too, unless it bothers your sleep.

Interesting! That goes against what so many people tend to think/ say. Do you think it improves your metabolic rate eating little and often?

I found a study that had low frequency with higher RMR compared to high frequency.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0038632

But that's only 100-ish calories,

Plos one is a very low impact factor journal. That is where we send our scientific paper once they have been rejected everywhere else.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    revertt2d wrote: »
    Ahh I see thank you guys! What about eating late at night? Does that have a negative effect when you're loosing weight?

Thank you! :smile:
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's only advantageous if you stay within your calorie restrictions to lose/gain/maintain weight. Number of meals is basically irrelevant to any of the above. This would be more of a preference than an need.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

None, other than personal preference.

If you are a world class athlete, it *might* make a small difference in performance levels.
    Meal timing is irrelevant, save that when you eat in a way and at a time that suits you, you're more likely to stick to your goals.

Nope! Eating late at night is fine too, unless it bothers your sleep.

Interesting! That goes against what so many people tend to think/ say. Do you think it improves your metabolic rate eating little and often?

I found a study that had low frequency with higher RMR compared to high frequency.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0038632

But that's only 100-ish calories,

Plos one is a very low impact factor journal. That is where we send our scientific paper once they have been rejected everywhere else.

:lol: