When did you start noticing changes as you became more fit?

Options
I'm just curious. When did you all start noticing changes in the way your body looks and feels after you started exercising and eating healthy?

I've only been logging in my food and exercising for about 2-3 weeks now and I'm already noticing small changes.

They're not really visible, but I can feel them.

My thighs, legs, and upper stomach feel like they have more muscle to them than before, but I can't see it in the mirror. I can only feel them when I squish my thighs, legs, and stomach. They're not as soft and jiggly as before. Sure, there's still jiggle, but I can feel more muscle developing in those areas when I touch them.

How about you guys? When did you notice changes?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Pretty much immediately. It's kind of awesome, amirite?

:drinker:
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    4 months.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Sleep

Blood tests

Strength in the gym

Speed on the bike

Speed running

Size and for of clothes

Lots of things to notice

In 90 days if you are eating right and working hard it should all show some improvement

Maybe using a tape measure would be a better measure of success than feeling yourself.

Hard to quantify a "feel"

• mystgrl1604
    mystgrl1604 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Been working out for 3mos and sticking to a calorie allowance for week. I dont see any changes, but the tape measure says im losing inches, which is good.

Main change i've noted is my endurance is so much better. I can do more cardiovascularly which is awesome! I can feel muscles on my arms!
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I started this current effort with almost nothing but diet. That was always my sticking point and I spent years trying to out exercise a gluttonous diet.

In terms of weight loss I didn't notice it my self but others did. Eventually my clothese were noticeably looser, I went from 40-42 pants to 38. Then when shopping for new size 38 pants I bought some 36 sized pants thinking I would need them some day... Then someday turned out to be closer than I thought and all of a sudden my 38s were loose on me and I needed a belt even with the 36s.

• IronBatMaiden
    IronBatMaiden Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Drewlssix wrote: »
    I started this current effort with almost nothing but diet. That was always my sticking point and I spent years trying to out exercise a gluttonous diet.

In terms of weight loss I didn't notice it my self but others did. Eventually my clothese were noticeably looser, I went from 40-42 pants to 38. Then when shopping for new size 38 pants I bought some 36 sized pants thinking I would need them some day... Then someday turned out to be closer than I thought and all of a sudden my 38s were loose on me and I needed a belt even with the 36s.
    Wow! That's incredible!
  • IronBatMaiden
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Pretty much immediately. It's kind of awesome, amirite?

:drinker:

Yasss
  • amudd645
    amudd645 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was at a store a few days ago waiting and crossed my legs. I randomly ran my hand under my thigh and didn't feel the dimples that I normally do when crossing my legs in shorts. That was after three weeks on the C25K. I look forward to when I get several more weeks in
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I used to sweat so much after workouts. I rarely sweat now. I have to go real hard and be extra hydrated for that.
  • Little_Britches_Alpaca
    Options
    When first round at a healthy life I lost 50 lbs. I never saw the change, but others did. Someone told me to take a pic and do a side by side. That's when I saw it! Now I like taking a pic once a month to map myself.
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I really started hitting the gym at the beginning of this year, and I just feel all over stronger. My boys ask me to pick them up, and I can pick them up and swing them around. They love that! I can actually run now, which is amazing in itself. I have muscles in my arms, back, and legs that I have never seen, and it is awesome. It took months for me, but it's been worth it.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I started felling more energized and stronger after about 2-3 weeks, and I noticed some slight physical changes after 6 weeks. I was a newbie to the gym and am doing recomp.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I was 278 pounds, and I felt better right after I began eating well and exercising.
    When I dropped 30 pounds people took notice. After 60 pounds, people really noticed, and today, after losing 100 pounds, everybody I meet wants to know how they can achieve this level of fitness.
    It feels good, but you should see their faces when I tell them how I reached these goals.
    Mine was no quick fix, and it took long, hard effort.

Most don't want that answer.
  • ungeneric
    ungeneric Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had weight-loss surgery because my joints were so bad (due to obesity) that I was constantly in and out of physical therapy. After the surgery I started exercising very regularly.

A month or two after the surgery, I had to jog to catch a train, a thing that previously would've filled me with agonizing pain. It didn't -- it hurt a bit, sure, but my lungs weren't on fire and my knees weren't crunching.

That was definitely a transformative moment.
  • IronBatMaiden
    Options
    Wow! You guys are amazing!

I just had another moment this morning. I was getting ready for the day and I put on a shirt that's pretty tight and I had that roll in my back. My mom came up and she said to me "I can tell you've been working out!"

I asked, "how?"

"Because you don't have the Long-ha (back roll) anymore!"

I looked in the mirror and I saw it. The roll I used to have is a lot smaller. I wasn't huge before, but it was there. Nice to know its going down.
  • skcrossley
    skcrossley Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started at 146. I started to notice a difference when I started running 4-5x a week in conjunction with counting calories/healthy eating. I had already lost 16 lbs but once I started working out more doing 2-5 mile jogs/runs/walks I lost body fat. My waist trimmed down and I dropped to 124/125. This is when everyone started noticing. I went from a size 6/4 28/27 Jean to a 2 or 25/26. All my shirts in a size small or xs. Working out changed my body a lot. Everyone started to comment on how thin I was. Although my bmi and body fat are healthy and normal range my family started to tell me I better not get any thinner. I really started to notice I guess at 20 lbs with exercise. Another thing to mention too is that my blood pressure became way healthier. At previous trips to the doctor it was always a little high. My most recent trip after 1-2 months of running it was 108/62. It feels really good to be fit and healthy, fit into clothes I want to wear, and FINALLY see a difference. It took a good amount of time, I think I've been losing weight for about 4 months and my starting weight wasn't too high, but I feel like I'm finally seeing the results I wanted. 20lbs, 4 months, 4-5x a week of exercise, and counting calories.
  • Slainte831
    Slainte831 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I started MFP and exercising in July. Back then, every time I worked out I felt sick and 'flu-ish' afterwards, with achy joints. I tried to visualise that as toxins being forced out of my body. Running for 1-2 minutes left me happy but panting. 5 weeks later, my joints don't hurt; they feel slick and strong. I walked 4.5 miles the other day without a thought. I can run 5 minutes with the C25K app and am excited about continuing with the program. I've lost a bit over 5 lbs, which doesn't seem like a lot, but I picked up a 5 lb hand weight the other day and realised even 5 lbs is significant to not have to carry around on my body.

And I am. So. Much. Happier.