Panick attack

Options
I just had a huge panic attack at the gym. I was meant to be there at 6am but missed my alarm and woke up at 6. My personal trainer text me saying I'm working on an *kitten* whooping lol
Anyway, he worked me so hard because of it. I've not had a panic attack in 4 years since I was put on celexa.
After an hour of torture I was doing squats in the weight room with weights on my shoulders when suddenly I couldn't breathe and burst into tears. He was really cool and sat me down and had me focus on breathing etc, he looked so guilty lol.
I love him for it though go, he's training me for free and in a weird way I'm super proud of myself for being pushed so far

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but is there an actual question here?

An hour deep into a tough workout you were doing squats? Seems sketchy.
  • englishmermaid
    englishmermaid Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize you could only post in here if there's a question.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Fair enough. I just have no idea what to make of your post, is all

pterodactyl-o.gif
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Usually forums are a place for discussion, discussions usually start with a question. If there is no question what do people respond with? This is more like a status update than a forum post. But if that's what you want to do then that's up to.
  • Sinnister78
    Sinnister78 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Damn...tough crowd. I took it like she wanted to share and maybe start a discussion based on the panic attack or working hard etc. but I get that forums are usually hit or miss with how people react.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I don't understand her post. What does "i'm working on an ***** whooping lol" mean?
  • ungeneric
    ungeneric Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    When I first starting doing HIIT, I hit a point during one set where I suddenly felt a profound panic, like I was running for my life and there was something chasing me and if I didn't get away I was going to die. I guess I was tapping into some primal fight-or-flight circuit -- I was telling my body that I needed to run until I felt like my heart was exploding and then run harder, and I guess my body decided that this meant it was time to go into Being Chased By A Leopard Mode.

It wasn't quite a panic attack (I have definitely had those before, but never at the gym), but it was an extreme emotional experience brought on by vigorous exercise. I imagine it's not rare when being pushed to your real physical limits of exertion.
  • ungeneric
    ungeneric Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    (PS, I am really glad that your medication has stopped you having panic attacks. Those are absolutely unfun.)
  • englishmermaid
    Options
    Exactly sinister and ungeneric, thank you
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I just had a huge panic attack at the gym. I was meant to be there at 6am but missed my alarm and woke up at 6. My personal trainer text me saying I'm working on an *kitten* whooping lol
    Anyway, he worked me so hard because of it. I've not had a panic attack in 4 years since I was put on celexa.
    After an hour of torture I was doing squats in the weight room with weights on my shoulders when suddenly I couldn't breathe and burst into tears. He was really cool and sat me down and had me focus on breathing etc, he looked so guilty lol.
    I love him for it though go, he's training me for free and in a weird way I'm super proud of myself for being pushed so far

Sorry to hear you had a panic attack!
    Not great, especially if you had weights on your shoulder when it happened. :o
    Maybe ask your Trainer to take it a bit slower next time!
  • englishmermaid
    Options

Sorry to hear you had a panic attack!
    Not great, especially if you had weights on your shoulder when it happened. :o
    Maybe ask your Trainer to take it a bit slower next time!

Thank you, I think he will now, he looked terrified! lol
    I don't want him to go too easy though, he was over the top yesterday because I showed up late, once this happened you could see the regret all over his face. I cried like a child, lip quivering and all.

• Spewze72
    Spewze72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I cried like a child, lip quivering and all.

Aww, poor you. Sounds deeply unpleasant, but at least you recognised it for what it was. Damn stupid human brain, always causing trouble. :smile:

Hope you're feeling better.
  • alfonsinarosinsky
    alfonsinarosinsky Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hope you are feeling better. I used to get panic attacks and they are certainly no fun.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Now you know something else about your panic attacks. It's easy to feel more anxious when you're running late.

My dad used to go out and run ten miles if he was having a panic attack, just to bring cardiac arrest on if it really was a heart attack. I kinda do the same thing. I generally can't panic when I'm exercising.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I don't understand her post. What does "i'm working on an ***** whooping lol" mean?

She's an English mermaid, so I assume that's an *kitten* whooping, aka spanking.