Macros

Options
JoAngle
JoAngle Posts: 18 Member
im a young 69 yo female. Wo w trainer 3 x week. Need to loose 20 lbs. been on 40%carb,30%proten & fat for 7 months. Scales not moving. Use protein bars & shakes to supplement. Loosing inches. Should I change my macros or keep going.

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is determined by eating fewer calories than your body uses, not your precise macro balance.

If that macro balance is working for you, stick with it. To lose weight, cut your daily calorie goal by 250-500 calories. Try that for 4 weeks and then reevaluate.
  • JoAngle
    Options
    Thank you very much. Was eating 1200 Calories.
    Great luck to u.
  • seska422
    Options
    If you are actually eating 1200, don't go much below that. If you are very small, you may be able to go as low as 1000 but no lower than that.

Are you sure that you are eating 1200? Are you using a food scale to measure solids?
  • JoAngle
    Options
    Yes using food scales & almost 1200 every day. I'm 5'6.5", large bones.
  • seska422
    Options
    In that case, you may just be at a good weight for you. Honestly, I wouldn't go below 1200.
  • JoAngle
    Options
    183 is too heavy for me. I'm loosing inches with trainer x3 days but need less weight on my knees. Good weight for me is 165. Just can't seem to move the scale.
  • seska422
    Options
    It may just take more time. If you are losing inches, you are making progress. Once you've lost inches you may start losing weight.

Good luck!
  • JoAngle
    Options
    I really want to thank for take by you time lots of encouragement. R u a moderator? I would like to follow your posts. Just learning my way around.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    1,200 calories while weighing 183 is waaaaaay to little - not healthy and not sustainable. Your BMR is probably in 1600 calories range and you need to add some more calories for your activities.

My opinion - you are not eating enough
  • JoAngle
    Options
    Really? To loose weight?
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    JoAngle wrote: »
    Really? To loose weight?

Yes. Read up on BMR.

My wife is 178 and after losing 28 lb has 22 to go. I make her eat 1700-2000 calories and she is steadily losing.

From a post I made a while back (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MasterVal/view/what-worked-for-me-to-lose-weight-and-get-back-in-shape-750590):

• Starvation mode
      I’m not sure if the starvation mode is a myth or not but I do know (it happened to me) what happens when you under eat (constantly eat less than your BMR). Our bodies are masters of adaptation. When you supply less than BMR calories to your body, at first, it will tap into the energy reserves – the stored fat. That’s why when you start dieting the pounds fly off in numbers and easy. But, if the shortage of calories is prolonged (more than a couple of weeks), your body will realize that and say “oops, looks like my supply of energy has changed, I must adapt!” and it will ADAPT. Your body will adapt to get by on what it has and it will cut energy to whatever it can – it will slow down hormone production, slow down your liver functions, slow down your kidney functions, etc., AND it WILL SLOW DOWN YOUR METABOLISM! Eventually, any weight loss will become almost impossible. For example, if you only give your body 800 calories per day – your body will bend backwards BUT it will make it work – it will reconfigure itself to run on only 800 calories per day! So, the minute you eat just a tad more – your body will say “hey, some more energy, I better store it”! That is why all who severely restrict themselves to unhealthy (below BMR) calorie allotment immediately gain weight as soon as they try to increase daily calories to their maintenance level. How to avoid this? DO NOT EAT LESS THAN YOUR BMR!

Eating above your BMR will have less significant impact on the crucial functions but larger impact on all others, such as fat storage.
  • JoAngle
    Options
    I am speechless. I come from the generation of 1,000 cal and have pushed to eat 1200. It will be quite a challenge to eat that many calls rise of good clean food. Your article is stunning. I really really appreciate you writing me back. No wonder I'm so tired. I see a trainer 3 days a week and she didn't press calories, hmmm.i am honest with my diary now I need I guess, eat larger portions.
    Thank you so very much. Much happiness on your journey of living healthy. VR