Kickboxing or crossfit?

Options
So I have about ten pounds left to lose give or take and I'm looking to build lean muscle. Right now I'm looking into memberships at a boxing club and a crossfit club so I'm just curious what people's experiences have been for both?

Replies

• morriza
    morriza Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Either one is great. CrossFit is amazing because it incorporates a barbell and everyday is different. I do CF all the time. Helped me lose over 80#! Boxing is good if your angry. It's great to take your aggression out on. I've done both and CF is more rewarding to me! It is kind of cool too because of the community factor. Everyone wants you to do well. I've never been in a CF gym that I didn't feel comfortable in.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Can you look into a Groupon or other such deal to try them both out? Plus most places offer the first one or two classes for free. I've taken CF at about four gyms in town and it wasn't for me but other people I know love it. I take boxing classes twice a week and I'm not angry at all. Lol.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Definitely kickboxing. Lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    two completely different fitness objectives
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you want to build muscle, you have to lift heavy things, along with eating more, typically, so CF would be better for that than kickboxing, although I don't think you typically get a linear progressive overload with CF, since the workouts vary day to day. Personally, I think kickboxing would be fun, and I'd do that combined with a basic weight lifting program. But lots of people love CF, so I'll also recommend seeing if you can get a trial membership or free class.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE Kickboxing!!! But be sure to go to a gym with actual heavy bags - not just shadow boxing. You need the resistance of the bag to get the results.
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Not an expert on crossfit, but I think both will be intense calorie burners, require power and endurance.

Kickboxing requires good technique to maximize power of your hits. Heavy lifting also requires technique to get maximum lift.

Kickboxing won't give you much hypertrophy, nor will it increase your max strength beyond a certain point. But it will increase your precision, self awareness, flexibility, and reflexes.

Go try both classes, as others have suggested, and pick the one you prefer. Both might also be an idea. Personnally I've been doing kickboxing for 4 years and since I've started weightlifting this year my performance has increased dramatically.