Stupid Stupid Question

Options
I've been STARVING this past week. I can't get enough food and I know I need to stop. But my belly is growling at me. I've been drinking tons of water as well to see if it's just being thirsty. I eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but I feel like I could eat tons at every meal....

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating?
  • Karmyeboo
    Karmyeboo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't understand there is no question?
    But I will say that going from eating at a surplus to eating at a deficit can make you feel that way it may take time. Or maybe you are eating too little?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    What's the actual question?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I find fats and protein will help me feel full.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    That's not a question.

Eat more healthy foods. It is very easy to stay nice and full when you eat lots of fruits and veggies! Whole grain breads are more filling than white. You can eat more cottage cheese when it's no-fat cottage cheese. It's really very difficult to go hungry when you eat healthier food. :)
  • emilybeaver
    emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I guess I need to just get my *kitten* back on the wagon and start eating better!! I'm stuck at work today starving and nothing healthy around me to eat! I need to start packing a fridge full of stuff just for my snacks!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    PMS maybe? I get ravenous the week before my period. Like right now.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    What healthy snacks do you take to work?
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I'm about two weeks out from that time!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Again, how many calories are you eating?
  • T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I find if I eat too carb heavy, I'll go over my calories to stay satiated.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I don't go to work, but yogurt with fruit or salads with some protein are pretty good options, imo.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Is it TOM? I get way hungrier than usual during TOM.
  • MaryQueenofWalking
    MaryQueenofWalking Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Eat vegetables. For a snack at work yesterday I had a cup of microwaved zucchini with 4 g of a margarine spread and I was happy. Or as suggested you are trying to eat too little calories.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I eat around 1400 calories or over. It's about two weeks from the TOM
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    What's your current weight?
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    1. Determine if you are eating the right amount of calories for your weight loss. Your deficit could simply be too aggressive. I have only ever lost at .5 lb per week and that suits me just fine.
    2. Start packing food for work that appeals to you and fits for calorie goals
    3. Make sure you are eating food that packs a lot of satiety. For instance, 300 calories from french fries are tasty, but won't leave you full like 300 calories from lean protein and veggies (I'm not saying you can't have french fries, just to clarify! Eat what you want if it fits your budget, but if you are starving, then trade up some food for more nutrient-dense, high volume food).
    4. Pre-logging helps me a lot. You can view my diary. I've already logged my upcoming lunch and work snacks, plus dinner and a treat. I know they will generally work with my macros and keep me full and fit my calorie goal. Plus just knowing what I will be eating in a few hours helps...I look forward to it!
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I weigh 183 right now.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You might up your calories a little or rearrange distribution of calories in your day. I am 240 lbs roughly and have been losing with a goal of 1725 calories (and moderate exercise). I am rarely hungry. As far as how your calories are arranged, you might find that you need a larger breakfast or even omit breakfast entirely. Sounds weird but I am hungrier later if I eat a large breakfast. It's mostly in your mind. For the physical end of things, make sure you are getting plenty of protein and fats to help you feel full. Like another poster said earlier, carbs tend to make you feel hungry quicker.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It is never a stupid question. Fill up with vegetables and protein to keep more satisfied, but also remember, there is just a little pushing through the "temporary corrective action" of the calorie deficit to lose fat. It's like taking a treatment to fix a health problem we all got ourselves into. It's not fun. Corrective treatment is never fun.

Hunger ebbs and flows and is sometimes very mysterious, but if we pay attention there are some patterns. Stress causes hunger. Workouts cause stress, lack of sleep causes stress, and even sometimes when we eat up to normal maintenance we still feel hungry.

So we learn over time that the feeling of hunger is not really "starving" like we once thought it was.

We all have to learn that stress balance and energy balance with all that we do in life including the workouts and calorie deficit.