Losing weight after 50 is NOT like losing weight in my 20's, 30's and even 40's!!!

Options
Hi! I am on my ??? (lost count) diet since I was a teenager. This time being harder than ever. Because the weight doesn't "fall off" anymore it can get discouraging and make me just want to say screw it. My boyfriend loves me the way I am, so that makes it even harder. I have to stay self-motivated. I don't have a whole lot of weight to lose (15-20) but I want to stop the gaining before it gets totally away from me.

One of my challenges, physically and emotionally, is that I had a Sudden Cardiac Arrest 2 years ago. I was without a heart beat and stopped breathing. I was essentially dead. I had CPR performed on me for almost 30 minutes and spent 9 days in the ICU recovering. It's been quite an emotional journey coming to terms with what happened to me. To make it worse, the cardiac arrest happened at the gym while working out with a personal trainer. I am doing well, at this point, and don't have too many physical limitations, but it took me until now to be able to step foot into a gym and exercise without feeling like I was going to keel over again. I am 3 weeks into an exercise program (through a cardiac fitness center) and I am starting to feel good and gain some confidence, so that's a good thing!

I am so happy I found fitness pal. What an awesome tool! And having this community is really great! If anyone has any wisdom for me, I welcome any and all remarks.

Replies

• Sweetiepiestef
    Sweetiepiestef Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Wow! 30 minutes... That is crazy. Glad you are still here :) Hope all is well and you got this!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Just stick with the program you are on... focus on the macros (as far as dieting goes) and don't sweat it if you go over your calories once in a while. You above everyone else should be well aware of how fleeting a person's life can be.. so I am sure your view of the world is vastly different from most of us who take little things like having a heartbeat, and breathing for granted. Welcome to MFP... meet some friends.. have some laughs... set some goals... and let "us" help you celebrate your victories... Thank you for sharing your little tale.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hey there, there are so many differences in our bodies in our 50's for sure. We all have to find our own way with the stress of the process, but in the end ditching the excess fat and building our lean body mass is "The Fountain of Youth". It is hard at any age, but not impossible. If it was easy everyone would do it. Certainly MFP is an amazing tool for all of us. I still have a lot of compassion for younger people because the bottom line is that it is hard for all people, at all ages, in all situations, and everyone fights a battle you know nothing about.

Keep going! Never give up. Never Settle. Live Your Dream.

-Roberta