Options
13»

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    90% of the comments on these boards would be unnecessary if users started using "nutrient-dense, mostly whole-foods" instead of some variant of "clean foods." And I'm guessing the majority of people on either side of the discussion would be more or less ok with the resulting list of foods.

Yep. That would be nice.

But beyond that, I think there are a couple of perhaps more significant differences that go beyond the terminology:

(1) as janejellyroll's post pointed out well, and what mine was intended to get at, is the idea that "processing" is something bad or negative in general, and therefore that it's always better to avoid it, is something I simply don't agree with. Living in the northern mid-western US, as I do, without processing (or other unnatural things, like carting in foods from Latin America) I wouldn't have very many options for fruit or veggies in the winter or early spring. Nor could I have many of the types of fish I enjoy including in my diet. I don't at all agree that my diet would be healthier (although it would be more limited) in the absence of processing.

(2) the idea of "clean" is that its better to ONLY eat nutrient-dense foods and that including any lower nutrient foods just for pleasure (or because it's Christmas or because grandma made it or because it's fun to try the new restaurant with the well-respected chef) is a failure and means that your diet isn't healthy (or not as healthy). I reject this idea. I think it's important to eat a healthy diet that focuses on nutrient-dense foods, but I see no reason why that means including some cherry pie on occasion is "unclean" or bad or makes my diet in general not healthy.

I am open to discussing either of these perceived differences with someone on the "clean" bandwagon. (And I don't think they are insignificant differences or, again, just about terminology.)

I'd also suggest that one is highly unlikely to reach a consensus on what's healthy, optimal, necessary, and/or important. Though, perhaps a consensus is overrated.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    As of April of this year, the OP was with Kumu Wellness. Trying to recruit clients.

LMAO!