I've stopped losing weight - help!!

Options
For about 6 weeks I've been the same weight and not lost anything. I'll admit I did slip up for a while and ate a few hundred calories over my target of 1200 which I'm sure hasnt helped. But over all I am still eating a lot less and under 2000. I currently don't do much exercise except I hike occasionally. Can anyone give me advice on how to continue losing weight? If I up my exercise then I would have to eat more calories and Surely that Wouldnt help? And I'm sure that if I ate less than 1200 that wouldn't be healthy either? Any help appreciated I need to lose about 10/15 pounds more!
Thanks!

Replies

• josiebanks18
    josiebanks18 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I know more exercise would help, but I feel like eating back my calories wouldn't help me lose
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    How accurate is your logging. Do you use a food scale?
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    For about 6 weeks I've been the same weight and not lost anything. I'll admit I did slip up for a while and ate a few hundred calories over my target of 1200 which I'm sure hasnt helped. But over all I am still eating a lot less and under 2000. I currently don't do much exercise except I hike occasionally. Can anyone give me advice on how to continue losing weight? If I up my exercise then I would have to eat more calories and Surely that Wouldnt help? And I'm sure that if I ate less than 1200 that wouldn't be healthy either? Any help appreciated I need to lose about 10/15 pounds more!
    Thanks!

I don't know your height or weight....where are you coming up with 2000 (I am interpreting your statement to mean that you think 2000 is your maintenance amount?? or was this a typo).

Make sure you've calculated your actual maintenance amount, and then the correct deficit amount (500 for 1 lb loss, 250 for 1/2 lb loss).
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    What is your height, weight?

Do you use a food scale, log every meal-every day for this past 6 weeks that your weight has 'stalled'?
    Thanks!

• joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My loss has slowed down from 2 lb a week to 1 lb a week. I have reduced calories now with 1400 a day and I am continuing to exercise every day but don't eat the calories back, hope we find a way to move forward
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

1. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

2. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

3. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

4. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

5. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

6. Give your body 3-4 weeks to adjust before panicking any time you make changes to your routine.

7. Since you have relatively little weight left to lose, it might be time to consider shifting gears and looking at something like recomp: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

8. If you want more than general advice then you might consider setting your diary to public so that we can take a look. It can help to have a second pair of eyes look things over and see what you might be missing.
  • josiebanks18
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    Thanks!

I don't know your height or weight....where are you coming up with 2000 (I am interpreting your statement to mean that you think 2000 is your maintenance amount?? or was this a typo).

Make sure you've calculated your actual maintenance amount, and then the correct deficit amount (500 for 1 lb loss, 250 for 1/2 lb loss).

Ahhh Yes I have been assuming 2000 would be for maintenance, I didn't realise I should calculate my own amount, I'll defo do that thank you!
  • josiebanks18
    Options

Do you use a food scale, log every meal-every day for this past 6 weeks that your weight has 'stalled'?
    Thanks!

I am 5 foot 10 and currently way 11 stone 5 pounds (not sure what that is in only pounds)
    I do use a digital food scale and weigh everything out

I did do food prep when I first started, I think I need to go back to that
  • josiebanks18
    Options

3. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

.[/quote]

Great advice! I was unaware of this, thank you!

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    Thanks!

Ahhh Yes I have been assuming 2000 would be for maintenance, I didn't realise I should calculate my own amount, I'll defo do that thank you!

OK, that's the first thing you need to do: calculate your maintenance amount. You can go to MFP's goal section and just change your goal, momentarily, to maintenance. If it's less than 2000, well, there's your problem.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Thanks!

I am 5 foot 10 and currently way 11 stone 5 pounds (not sure what that is in only pounds)
    I do use a digital food scale and weigh everything out

I did do food prep when I first started, I think I need to go back to that

Since you're already at a healthy weight, keep in mind that weight loss is going to be slower. 1/2 to 1 pound a week would be a good goal to aim for. A lot of people get discouraged when they don't see bigger losses, but slow and steady wins, right?

I'll second my suggestion above about recomp. I also think the first post in this thread might be a useful read: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/113609/relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner/p1

• 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    This seems a little hinky, I'm skeptical.
  • josiebanks18
    Options
    This seems a little hinky, I'm skeptical.

hinky?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, you are in a healthy range for your height. What is your goal? Is it a # on the scale, a certain body look or something else?

Your BMR is about 1571. This would put your daily burn (if sedentary) around 1900 without exercise. So 2000 is not an unrealistic maintenance TDEE for you, assuming you exercise some each week.

The key to weight loss is accuracy & consistency. Patience helps also.
  • heatherlewisis
    heatherlewisis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    If you exercised, why would you "have" to eat more?

• AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Just stick to it. Be vigilant and do not loose faith. I stalled at 180 for almost two months. i am down to 165 now.