What to do with lentils (besides soup)?

Options
2»

Replies

• headwind2015
    headwind2015 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'd make Mejadra, Ottolenghi has great recipe!

seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/11/mejadra-from-jerusalem.html
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Stuff soft toys?
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Mix lentils with quinoa for a taboulleh salad.

I add chopped cucumber, tomatoes, peppers, cilantro and lemon or lime juice. Serve cold!! This keeps lovely for several days.
  • suejabin2014
    suejabin2014 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Lentil curry, brown onions then add tomatoes with red chillie powder and cumin seeds, coriander powder with garam masala. U can use any type of lentils. :)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Keiko wrote:
    Lentils & rice with sauteed onions, sprinkled with some cumin
    Lentils, brown rice, onion, carrot.
    Add whatever spices you like.
    Heck, throw in more veggies - zucchini, spinach, mushrooms, bell pepper. Whatever you have on hand.

stuffed peppers to tacos to chili to shepherds pie
    Yep. Use for ground beef.
  • ElisaJtsu
    ElisaJtsu Posts: 97 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I mix lentils with giant couscous, any other pulses, seeds + a vinegar, oil dressing & spices/herbs. Serve cold on some rocket. Add chicken or feta for the non-vegan version.
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I love lentils, and make lentil soup/stew quite regularly. I'm wondering what else I should do with them. Preferably easy - I'm not really into making lentil loaf or lentil burgers. Maybe some advice on which spices to flavor them with?

Thanks!

Look up Mujadara (Lebanese rice and lentil dish) on the foodnetwork site, prepared by chef Aarti Sequera(sp). Its a simple yet delicious.

• kickstartpro
    kickstartpro Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I make lentils and rice regularly. Cook the lentils for about 15 minutes beforehand with some water and then add in the rinsed rice(my favorite is basmati). I add in whatever spices I have. Usually I put in some veggie broth, salt, pepper, bay leaf, cumin. Then just add the required amount of water and finish cooking it. Beans and rice are a complete protein, very filling, and you can freeze it or use it in wraps or something like that. And the mujadara that madux mentioned is delicious. It's lentils and rice served wtih sauteed onions. The greek yogurt and lemon are what gives it that delicious flavor, so don't forget those.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    cabwj wrote: »
    Here is a whole website devoted to lentil recipes
    lentils.ca/recipes/lentil-banana-carrot-cake
    WOW
    THANKS!

• Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My old Fanny Farmer recipe book has a lentil casserole dish.

As an english person this cracked me up :D

This is nice - esp after a hard day http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4382/veggie-shepherds-pie-with-sweet-potato-mash
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! These suggestions will keep me busy and fed for a while!
  • chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
  • firebloom
    firebloom Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I make spicy lentil patties by mashing lentils with cooked red onion, garlic, tandoori paste, egg and breadcrumbs. They're really yummy with some natural yoghurt and sweet potato chips. Sometimes I also make burgers out of them.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! These suggestions will keep me busy and fed for a while!

No kidding... you and me both ;)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    Keiko385 wrote: »
    Lentils & Rice with sauteed onions, sprinkled in with some cumin
    Aah, Bean & Rice, variation #947 ;)

How about:
    • Cajun Red BeansLentils & Rice with Andouille Sausage
    • Beef and Bean Lentil Burritos
    • Refried Beans Lentils
    • Huevos Rancheros with Refried Lentils
    • Bean Lentil Dip a la Frijoles
    • Bean Lentil Dip a la Hummus
    Just a few off the top of my head. North African and Middle Eastern Cuisines are a little out of my wheelhouse, but I know there are thousands of recipes in those cultures. Personally, I think any bean, including lentils, combined with any kind of rice and any kind of sausage is a winner.
    There is a young lady who has been posting some nice Lebanese recipes recently. You should get her input.

Yes, also Spanish, though obviously lentils came there from the Arab world. The classic dish is called Moros y Cristianos.* It's just lentils cooked with onion, garlic and laurel/bay leaf, served over white rice, garnished with hard-boiled egg.

*This dish has many different iterations in Latin America...some of which involve black beans instead of lentils.
  • mommyvudu
    mommyvudu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I love lentils and rice cooked with a little salt and cumin, topped with cinnomon caramelized onions (cooked with ceramic nonstick with veggie broth and water, not oil), topped with plain yogurt. I believe it's called something like mujadarra...f'ing DELISH!
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options