GIRLS: Buying clothes (esp. undergarments) WHILE losing?

Options

Replies

• LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I found a sports bra that doesn't make me bulge under the arms - I basically live in it and get a smaller one when I need too. Once I hit goal I plan on getting some pretty underwear.
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Go to victoriAs secret they will fit you fr a bra free you dont even have to buy one

I would NEVER trust them to size you correctly!!! OMG, those jokers, up to this day, actually think my 29" ribcage should be swimming around in a 34 or a 36 band (depending on the sales associate. They also seem to think that I am nothing bigger than a C cup in that hyoooge band.

In most European bras, I wear 30G. In most American bras, including Victoria's Secret, I wear 32DDD.

It's always best to either go to a REAL professional bra fitter (not someone who got a summer job with OTJ training) or to measure yourself. If a bra fitter measures above your boobs or wants to add 5 inches to a measurement, RUN AWAY. And that is exactly what VS does.

Well, I had a bra fitting over there, and it was fine. They actually showed me how I was wearing the wrong size the whole time (was wearing 34C when i should've been 32D). I can tell you after i changed my bra, I looked a lot better. Maybe you are just special.

OT: maybe go to victoria secret during their sale? cant beat 1/2 off bras.
  • tomich54
    tomich54 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Go to victoriAs secret they will fit you fr a bra free you dont even have to buy one

I think the reason I feel obligated to buy one is I used to work at Victorias Secret back in my skinny days in college and we had sales quotas we had to meet even though I was seasonal work (Christmas holiday) and so I hate for them to spend their time on me only for me to not purchase. :/ I never learned the bra fitting part as I was a temp employee, darn it lol. I may do it when there's a nice sale or something, if I could fit into their bras lol. Back when I worked there they didn't carry bigger than 38 band size, had to go to lane Bryant for bigger. Lol I will keep this option in mind.

I recently went there, and they measured me for free - no pressure =) I also found out that the largest size they carry is a 40DDD, their pink store only goes to a 38 or 36 though. I find lots of great bras on Ebay brand new w/ tags at half their retail cost, you should check it out :wink: As far as underwear goes, I would just go to Lane Bryant or Victorias secret, and do the 5 for $25 thing.

By the way, I've been selling my bigger clothes on ebay and using the $ to buy new ones, and I'm just repeating the process until I get where I want to be. It's helped tremendously! And I've gotten some really cute stuff :heart:
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

I would NEVER trust them to size you correctly!!! OMG, those jokers, up to this day, actually think my 29" ribcage should be swimming around in a 34 or a 36 band (depending on the sales associate. They also seem to think that I am nothing bigger than a C cup in that hyoooge band.

In most European bras, I wear 30G. In most American bras, including Victoria's Secret, I wear 32DDD.

It's always best to either go to a REAL professional bra fitter (not someone who got a summer job with OTJ training) or to measure yourself. If a bra fitter measures above your boobs or wants to add 5 inches to a measurement, RUN AWAY. And that is exactly what VS does.

THANK YOU for saving me the typing. No offense to you if you work at Vicky's but that place is a joke. If you want to get really fitted properly go to someplace like Macy's or Nordstrom, or even better a specialty store. If you feel obligated to buy... buy ONE and then go home and get any more that you want off eBay.

Also as far as underwear I buy 6 packs of cotton hanes bikinis at Walmart for $8 until I get to my goal, then I'll think about the pretty frilly stuff again!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    The best trained fitters consistently for me have been at Nordstroms. I go every six months and only buy two bras. I think when I go this month it will be the first time in 5 years that I will be fitted with the same size i got last time. It's a NSV I am maintaining well.

The funny thing about bras is that given the different styles, even the same size fits a bit differently.

When you go to Nordstroms, tell them your budget and your weight loss goals. The fitter found discontinued bras on sale when I was still losing weight and it helped my budget. I am sure Victorias Secret or Soma would do the same.

I will admit to wearing those target champion brand sports bras on weekends till they got too big when I was losing weight. I just would wash them in really hot water and dry them on the highest setting till even that didn't make them small enough!
  • lveh8lve
    lveh8lve Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have big boobs and I've gone from a 36G-H to a DD (ish). I just went to TJ MAXX and hit the clearance rack until I found some that fit me. I don't want to waste money on something that wont fit me in a few months. It is a bummer because I had bought a bunch of really nice bras from Intimacy that were expensive before I lost weight. I know they will alter bras for free. I have to go there tomorrow and I might stop by and see if they will alter down my super expensive bras.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    You could buy a bra that's a bit too tight around the band and use one of those 'bra extender clips' to make it fit more comfortably, you could then you can reduce the size as you lose and get a bit more wear out of them?

It might not be helpful for the cups of course, but for me, the weight is coming off my back faster than my boobs.

I was a 40HH when I started and am now a 34GG, bras for those with baps of doom (esp ones that don't make you resemble Helga the shot putter) are eye wateringly expensive in the UK. (Though those of you in the UK that know your bra size in a particular brand (e.g. Freya) can get a bargain on Ebay sometimes - 'buy it now' sellers will let you send them back if they don't fit. I tend to buy loads in one go and then send most of them back. I refuse to pay Bravissimo prices).

Though it was worse when I was nursing my son, I was a 28HH and looked like a walking shelf :laugh:
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm down almost 50 lbs. and I've had to buy new bras twice so far. I went to our outlet mall and picked up some cheap ones. I have bought some expensive panties because I like them so much but I am also going to buy some cheap ones from Walmart or Target. I started in a size 18 and as I lost weight I went "shopping" in my other closets. But now I'm in a 12 and a couple of years ago I donated all my 10's and 12's thinking I would never get into them again. I went shopping yesterday and it was fun buying the 12's for the first time in years. I didn't buy a lot, 3 dresses (figuring they will be easier to wear as I lose), 2 crop pants, shorts and a top. I had a blast and bought the dresses on clearance (70% off) and everything else was 30% off plus another 20% with my coupon. I look much smaller in my new clothes that fit well!
  • midnightisolde
    midnightisolde Posts: 60 Member
    Options

This. A lot of high street shops that offer bra ''fitting'' services are really quite dubious. Many put you in band sizes that are too big and therefore cups that are too small. Thanks to Marks & spencer's, I was wearing a 36B for ages. But after doing some research about properly fitting bras, I knew that it was the wrong size. In the UK, Bravissimo and John Lewis are generally good at fitting. Places like Marks and Spencer's, La Senza and Victoria's Secret are known to be bad at fitting by people who know how a bra should fit.
    I now wear a 32DD - which is NOT as big as it sounds as not all DD cups are big as it's dependant upon the band size.
    The band should be firm as it provides the most support NOT the straps. It should be horizontal and parallel to the front and should not ride up at all.
    This website shows examples of properly fitting bras. The one I've linked shows 32DD:
    http://www.brabandproject.com/gallery/search?band=32&cup=DD&age=&brand=&sister_sizes=0&search=Search

You will find that a lot of online bra size guides and calculators use the 'plus four' method'. This means that they add four or five inches to your actual under bust measurement, resulting in a band much bigger than what you need. DO NOT DO THIS. If you come across any bra size guide that tells you to add inches or a size which is clearly suggesting that you wear a band size too big because it is using this method, ignore it.

My under bust measurement is 31 inches, therefore I wear a 32 band (although I could also try a 30 band). The band size that you wear should either be the same or closest to your actual under bust measurement. I measure 37 inches on the bust so I therefore wear a 32DD.
    Similarly, if you measure say 28 on the under bust, you should wear a 28 band, although in some brands and styles you may go up one band size, as I sometimes do, but you will rarely need to go up two band sizes as the 'plus four' method suggests. If you measure 34 on the bust, you will wear a 28DD. Again, this is not that big:
    http://www.brabandproject.com/gallery/search?band=28&cup=DD&age=&brand=&sister_sizes=0&search=Search

This is a good fit guide:
    http://www.bravissimo.com/perfectfit/

For good bra fitting places in the US, I'm not sure but I think that Nordstorm is good.
  • tigermorris
    Options
    I had a breast reduction and I have not been able to find a bra that fits since, except for the sports bras. I tried at Layne Bryant to have them fit me and the size they came up with was a joke, way bigger than what I am. I still have some flab on my sides, since I did not pay extra for that, so I do not fit -yet in the regular sizes. JC Penney is a good place to get fitted and you should not feel bad about not buying, you can try stuff on and see what fits and they do not pressure you to buy. I say buy some cheap sports bras at Kmart, Walmart or Meijers- if they have one in your area.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I give myself rewards for hitting weight mini-goals, and bras are definitely one of the things I buy!
  • ajominy
    ajominy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I, like the other posters, go cheap and don't worry so much about the fact that they won't last long, because I don't need them to. In a few months, I need to buy new ones anyways. At first I didn't want to buy new stuff and kept using all my bigger bras, underwear and clothes. Too many people told me my clothes were too baggy and that it wasn't flattering and all of my hard work was being hidden. So I went out and bought a few new things that actually fit and it has been crazy to see the comments I get b/c my clothes actually fit and people can really notice how much I have lost. I hit up TJ Max, Ross, Marshalls, Walmart, Kohls, Target, etc. In the beginning I would go to the clearance in Avenue and Lane Bryant and get some things there. You really do feel so much better and look so much better when you wear stuff that fits.
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Here's an article that I adored about finding what size bra I *really* wear. I've found it to be incredibly helpful, especially while losing weight.

http://feminspire.com/this-method-for-finding-your-bra-size-will-blow-your-freakin-mind/
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    http://www.herroom.com/bra-fitting-advice,901,30.html

A site that explains how to measure for bra size.

I finally had to buy some new bras when, every time I bent over to pull weeds or work in the garden, I then had to go into the garage and put the girls back in the bra! :flowerforyou: :laugh: I did go for my first "professional" measuring and fit...but this is the same formula they used.
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    VS sized me WAAY wrong. For a good sizing you need to go to Nordstrom, they're actually trained there - not just a co-worker showing them in 30 minutes how to size a bra, they have an actual "course" they have to take according to the sales girl that sized me.

Once you get your size and you know the style you like, you can buy on ebay. I do this all the time, New Without Tags, generally a display item or an item that was semi-imperfect, my favorite bras are usually upwards of $100+ for my size and by buying on ebay I save a ton, the last one I bought retailed at $110 (I know this because I bought one retail last time I got sized) and I bought it on ebay, new without tags, for $20.
  • MrsDangerousCurves
    MrsDangerousCurves Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Try victoria secret now. They are having their semi-annual sale, both online and in store! You can get bras for cheap...Also you can try target for cute, cheap bras too!
  • kmcintosh12
    kmcintosh12 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I wasn't sure where to put this topic, so sorry if its in the wrong place...

I've only lost 21.4 lbs so far, but I am ultimately aiming to lose 80-90 (not sure yet as I haven't been that small since before kids lol). I originally only thought of buying clothes when I reach goal and having a fun shopping spree, BUT, here in the last few weeks I've noticed that my bras aren't fitting good anymore. They are fitting fine around the body, but the cups seem too big now. I WAS a 42DD (44DD, depending on the style/cut of the bra) when I started, a very snug 42DD, but my bras are now starting to have space between the top of the formed-cup bras and "the girls." Enough of a space that it is now noticeable when I wear shirts because there is a very visible line, and my stepmom even asked what was wrong with my bra lol. Anyway, I had just purchased a bunch of bras back in November from a company going out of business (because as any girl knows, a good bra with great support, especially for the bigger breasts, isn't cheap). I've been this size bra for about 7-8 yrs so I'm not sure how to figure out what size bra I am in the CUP! I know I could get a bra fitting, but I always feel obligated to buy from that store and I don't have the money to get too much nor do I want to spend too much if I'm just going to grow out of it soon, lol. How do I find out what size bra to get next and I'm not sure how many I want to start buying since they are expensive. Any suggestions?

There are places that will take your old bra's in for you so you can still wear them without having to go out and get new ones. I would call a place that does bra fittings and ask if they have a seamstress or a rec on who could take it in.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i bought new bras whenever i would get the bra lining showing through my tops because there was no boob to fill it out (i hope that makes sense). i was a C cup when i started, then i moved from a 36 to a 34, then a B cup at 34, and I'm thinking I may move down to an A cup as my B cup bras are poofing again. UGGGHH.

underwear i was fine with, i forced my big bum into mediums until they finally were a medium again!

i guess if i'm ever pregnant i'll have a whole array to choose from! hah.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options

Do not do this. They do not have a wide enough range of sizes. Check out this website. My measurements were nothing like what Victoria's Secret told me.

http://sameatschildren.tumblr.com/post/45962915522/do-it-now-guide-to-proper-bra-fit-and-measuring
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Now that I am out of the smaller clothing I had stored away, I have had to purchase new stuff. Not a lot, but enough to get my through until the next drop. Definitely go cheaper (Walmart, Target etc). I have also done a lot of sales rack shopping. The things for summer are now on the sales racks, so was able to pick up a few tops dirt cheap.

As for the underwear, as soon as it's baggy it's gotta go... lol. I had the same problem with my bras, if the band fits, just start dropping the cup size until you find one that works.