Pizza choices WWYD

Options
jaqcan
jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
I'm going out with my book club at a brick oven pizzeria. They don't have their nutrition facts posted, so I won't know exactly. I don't want to get a salad, and I have 900 calories to work with. (exercise and ate hardly anything all day in preparation)
They are thin crust, personal size pizzas. In your opinion, do I have enough calories to get whatever I want? Or should I go with the veggie or margherita?

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Thin crust and personal means you probably have some calories to play with. I would either stay away from the greasy meat toppings-or stick to just one. Personal sizes can vary A LOT. The pizza could be 500 calories or it could be well over 1000. Just err on the side of caution
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Our local brick over pizzeria is about 1,000 calories for a normal size pizza. They tend to be light on the cheese and sauces. I usually get the quattro stagioni, which has meats and vegetables.
  • gail1961
    gail1961 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    The "average" slice of pizza (12 inch) is about 250-300 calories a slice (they do vary though). If it's thin crust it will probably have less calories. Would you be "satisfied" getting it light on the cheese? It sounds like you planned for it, so have a couple slices. If you add meat, you will add a lot of calories. It's all about not depriving yourself, and also learning how to moderate. Have fun and enjoy your night out.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Thin crust frozen pizzas from the grocery store are about 900-1000 I believe. You could go for it, or do half and a salad.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Or you could go topping-crazy, but take half home. Because then you can have pizza for breakfast! Use it as an exercise in mindfulness, no matter what. Your brain may try to convince you to get the extreme meat madness!!! when you'd be just as happy with meatballs and artichokes.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    jaqcan wrote: »
    I'm going out with my book club at a brick oven pizzeria. They don't have their nutrition facts posted, so I won't know exactly. I don't want to get a salad, and I have 900 calories to work with. (exercise and ate hardly anything all day in preparation)
    They are thin crust, personal size pizzas. In your opinion, do I have enough calories to get whatever I want? Or should I go with the veggie or margherita?

You've had a deficit all week, right? Your profile says you have 98 pounds to go. This is a loooooooooooooong road you're on. If going out for pizza is a rare treat for you, get what you want. You will still be way under your weekly calories (I assume you've had a 500+ deficit each day this week) and will likely still see a scale loss.

When eating out, I go for the lowest-calorie-estimate option that sounds good to me.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Go for the veggies and little or no cheese. My local does a spinach/tomato/garlic with a touch of goat cheese at just under 200 calories a slice. The garlic kicks it into flavour heaven!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    When I go out to eat pizza, I usually eat about 3 slices of a large (14") pizza with everything on it... comes out to a little over 800 calories according to their website. So if you have 900, I'd say you have enough to enjoy some pizza and soda if you want. I don't think you should worry if you went over some calories anyways. :drinker:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If pizza is a big deal for you, just get it with the toppings you like. If it goes over your goal (which I doubt), then it does. One day isn't a big deal.

Me, I'd get the salad, but I don't like pizza very much. If I'd planned and saved and this was a rare occasion, I'd just eat what I liked best, because if you're going to plan and save and not even know the calories, you might as well enjoy it!!!
  • _andreamarie
    _andreamarie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'd get a personal pizza with grilled chicken and pineapples :yum:
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Chicken spinach pizza
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'd eat half of it and take half home, depending on the size.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I usually get the quattro stagioni, which has meats and vegetables.

This is usually my favorite lately too.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I'd eat my fill of my favorite pizza. When I go to coppertop and get a pizza I order my favorite and eat half and save the other for lunch. They are big personal pizzas.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Every time I get notified of this thread, I read it as "what would Jesus do" and I just keep thinking how even Jesus loves pizza
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    If pizza is a big deal for you, just get it with the toppings you like. If it goes over your goal (which I doubt), then it does. One day isn't a big deal.

This is kind of how I feel about it. I don't eat out that often anymore, so when I do, I usually just get the thing I want. For walk-in slice type pizza, that is usually bacon strips, pepperoni, & mushrooms with chili flakes. Ham and mushrooms otherwise.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    It's really up to you - if you want to get a thin crust, go light cheese and get veggies, you'll likely stay under your calorie goal. If you'll really enjoy that quite a bit, then do it. If you think you'll enjoy an indulgent-style pizza more, and you've got room in your week because of other days where you had some calories left over, go for that. 900 calories is a lot of room, and if you've got calories from other days, that's even better. Even if you go over today, it's not really going to matter in the grand scheme of things, because you won't gain weight if you go over your calories for one day.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I was THRILLED to look up the nutrition info for the brick oven place in the next town over - the "personal pan" pizza is 11" and many of the pizzas are 200 calories or less per slice and there's 6 slices total. That's including the ones with several kinds of meat. My favorite pizza has grilled chicken, cheese and strips of tomato that all get cooked, then pesto sauce and arugula are added on after it's been baked. 160 calories a slice, and it tastes AMAZING.

So......I would say eat the whole thing if you want. If you don't want (or you'll be drinking or planning to get dessert), then eat half that night and half the next day. Brace yourself for the water retention from the sodium bomb and enjoy!

~Lyssa
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You guys seem to have so many pizza places with nutritional info. I would have to go to a chain I think to get that. I had a slice of pizza (A SLICE) recently that was so crazy I logged it as 600.