Squat and Deadlift Style

Options
I've been squatting high bar and deadlifting low bar but I have hit a plateau on both. So, my question is whether I should switch to low bar squats and sumo deadlifts until I plateau on them or not? Should I just do one, both or neither?

My hamstrings are pathetically weak and puny also, so low bar squats would help that, but sumo deadlifts would put more stress on the quads.

Wat do?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    WTF does deadlifting low bar mean?

do you do bridge lifts/thrusters/natural hammy string raises?

What programing are you running now?
    how long have you been lifting?
    are you losing grip or just not lifting it?
    are you at a deficit?
    are you still trying to lose?

need more details.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You low bar dead lift?
  • ThomasWright1997
    ThomasWright1997 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Correction

I meant conventional, though low bar squats and deadlifts are very similar movement patterns.
  • ThomasWright1997
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    WTF does deadlifting low bar mean?

do you do bridge lifts/thrusters/natural hammy string raises?

What programing are you running now?
    how long have you been lifting?
    are you losing grip or just not lifting it?
    are you at a deficit?
    are you still trying to lose?

need more details.

I do thrusters. By natural ham raises do you mean GHRs? I do BW ham raises, are they called normadic or Celtic raises?

I don't do programs, but I do all lifts for 5 sets of 3, before dropping the weight by 10% for AMRAP (2-3 left in the tank). So its linear. I seem to make more gains doing my own stuff.

Can Grip 130kg for 30+ seconds, only DL 125 for 3 so grips fine.

Been lifting for over a year,
    Gained 22+lbs of muscle, very little if any fat
    18 years old,
    160lbs,
    10-12% BF,
    Bench 75x3 (paused)
    Squat 95x3 (just below parallel)
    Deadlift 125x3 (conventional)
    (All kilograms btw)

Gains been pretty linear, until the start of this week..

I eat 4000+ calories a day at 160 lbs, 6" 0.5', all lean mass though!

200+ grams (20+%) of protein a day
    35+% calories are fat
    Rest are carbs (45+%)

Sleep 14+ hours a day (too much, i know, i miss school because of it. I am goimg to a sleep clinic and am being diagnosed with sleep disorder/ME/post viral fatigue but that won't stop me lifting.

Nope, couldnt put it on at 3500, so upped it to 4000+

You can call me hardgainer.

Just raelised that last week I Relapsed on NoFap.

Shyyyyt.

Gains stalled.

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Try going lighter, 5x5's and then if that doesn't help, I'd try sumo deadlifts and perhaps changing your stance with the squat.

Idk.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    125 pounds? that's all you're pulling as an 18 year old male? even if it's kg- that's only 275 pounds converted.
    You might need to get on a program- and or eat a little more.

Anyone will see gains if they do NOTHING then go to something- might be time to try a real program- but something seems off if you're only pulling that little- that's just not that much.
  • akwest21
    akwest21 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Go on Amazon and buy starting strength by mark rippetoe. It's the best basic barbell book. If you're not programmed you're not going to make progress and that program is specifically designed to put in strength and mass to people who are new to lifting. Follow the program and you'll see strength and mass gains. Oh and if you're not following program you are not following a program you are new to strength training.
  • ThomasWright1997
    Options
    125 pounds? that's all you're pulling as an 18 year old male? even if it's kg- that's only 275 pounds converted.

Anyone will see gains if they do NOTHING then go to something- might be time to try a real program- but something seems off if you're only pulling that little- that's just not that much.

I pull just under 3 plates (130kg) for 1 rep.
    I've been training for a year, with only 6-7 months deadlifting and squatting.

I've gained over 22lbs of muscle since i started.

I have long legs and bad mechanics for squats and deads.

• ThomasWright1997
    Options
    No, u do follow a program. It's my own program. There are so many problems with 5x5 its unreal. I started on that and when I stopped making gains, I changed it up to get where I am today.
  • ThomasWright1997
    Options
    For the record, I work in kilos.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

do 5x5's instead of 3x5's until you see some progress, and then go back to whatever.
  • ThomasWright1997
    Options
    Add to that I'm a late developer, and I have only just turned 18. Haven't even started growing facial hair yet.

I'm also near the powerlifting records in my part of the country, so I aint exactly weak.
  • ThomasWright1997
    Options

do 5x5's instead of 3x5's until you see some progress, and then go back to whatever.

Its 5 sets of 3, with a 90% working weight for AMRAP leaving a few in the tank.

I train 6 days a week, so plenty of volume.

• ThomasWright1997
    Options

Read above stuff.

My 1RMs are as follows:

Bench 85kg paused
    Squat 105kg
    Dead 130kg

Total: 320kg / 706lbs

I weigh 70kg / 160lbs for the record at 6'0.5"

Not exacly build for powerlifting.
  • ThomasWright1997
    Options
    Can someone just answer the question?? Please?
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options

Weighted hip thrusts work my hammies

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I high bar squat 3x week and pull sumo 2x a week, been doing that since April and my hamstrings have been sore every day, quads never sore. Previously was doing low bar squats 3x week for nearly 2 years but shoulder surgery last Dec now limits me to high bar squats.
    High bar vs low bar is majoring in the minors. I'd find a tried and true 3x week squatting program.
  • ThomasWright1997
    edited July 2015
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »
    I high bar squat 3x week and pull sumo 2x a week, been doing that since April and my hamstrings have been sore every day, quads never sore. Previously was doing low bar squats 3x week for nearly 2 years but shoulder surgery last Dec now limits me to high bar squats.
    High bar vs low bar is majoring in the minors. I'd find a tried and true 3x week squatting program.

Used to squat 3x a week, but I cannot make gains, so I do it 2x and its been increasing well for the past 4 odd weeks. I squat and dead on the same day also. I was just wondering whether i should low bar it to get more hammies involved.I think they're the weak link.
  • ThomasWright1997
    Options
    wolfsbayne wrote: »

Weighted hip thrusts work my hammies

Yeah? I can't feel em aha. Only my glutes feel it?
  • ThomasWright1997
    Options
    Is a 700lbs total bad for a 160lbs kid? I though it was okay considering I haven't been training for PLing for long?

My starting weights were:

Bench: 50kg
    Squat: 45kg (no joke)
    Dead: 60kg (also no joke, SRS)

So ive come a long way