Gaining Strength Without Bulking Up Too Much?

Options
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if any of you know any strengthening excercises that don't cause you to become muscular-looking. I am hoping to focus more on the upper arm muscles, as I have very little strength there, but have large muscles.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I was just wondering if any of you know any strengthening excercises that don't cause you to become muscular-looking. I am hoping to focus more on the upper arm muscles, as I have very little strength there, but have large muscles.

Thanks in advance!

Lifting heavy things will make you stronger.

If you are simultaneously eating at a caloric deficit, you will not build (much) muscle at all. However, you will lose fat, which will make your muscles seem more pronounced. At no point will you look like some roided-out gym monster.

To do what you want, lift heavy things and don't eat more than your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. (TDEE)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    just your upper arms? why no love for your legs, back, and chest? you don't like to burn fat and give yourself the ability to eat more food without gaining weight?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    squat, deadlift, bench press, chinup, row, overhead press + calorie deficit.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    check out Nia Shanks, lift like a girl.

you don't have testosterone, so bulk up you will not.
  • VanCityFit
    VanCityFit Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I don't think a lot of realize how much hard work and training it actually takes to get muscle definition. You have to try to get it, you won't just bulk up by exercising.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I don't think a lot of realize how much hard work and training it actually takes to get muscle definition. You have to try to get it, you won't just bulk up by exercising.

Yep. As someone who WANTS muscle definition I wish it was as simple as lifting pink dumbbells for a billion reps :grumble:
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Yep. As someone who WANTS muscle definition I wish it was as simple as lifting pink dumbbells for a billion reps :grumble:

Truth. Besides, many women THINK they have 'big' or 'bulky' muscles, but in reality just have a thick layer of fat covering them.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    If your arms are large but weak, it's not muscle.
  • dmlas777
    dmlas777 Posts: 15
    Options
    my legs, back, chest, etc. are quite strong already. i still work them out though, since i am a gymnast and we do full body workouts
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Low reps with longer rest periods.

Do 10 sets of 3 at 90% of your tested 1 rep max with 3 minute rests.
  • dmlas777
    dmlas777 Posts: 15
    Options
    my arms are muscular actually. im considered "weak" for the sport i do (gymnastics), but actually i am quite strong compared to most of the rest of the human population. sorry for the confusion haha :)
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    When you're bulking up or cutting, your strength training program should be the same. The only differance between bulking and cutting is the way you eat. It's all about diet.