Steps vs exercise calories

Options
13»

Replies

• Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »

There was an update for the android app today, and since that update, I'm now seeing two fitbit calorie adjustments instead of my usual one. One is listed for 554 calories, one is listed for 1098 calories. The website shows only 1098 calories for exercise, but the phone app is doing 1098 + 554. Dunno why that is...

There is a way to erase the extra entry. Go back to that day and press the edit button (crayon icon). Scroll down to the exercise tab and chose the one you want to remove.

I had to do the same thing earlier today. I also ended up removing the higher calorie fitbit adjustment since I know that my adjustments always drop by half by the next morning.

OMG thank you! I was annoyed at the mental math I'd have to do when looking over my "banked" calories to use over the weekend. <3
  • aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Im still confused:( if i walk more steps than my daily amount..that counts as exercise??
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I never eat back any calories that are allowed due to taking steps. Actually, my activity feed doesn't register any calories unless I've taking more than about 8K steps because it subtracts the burn I get from my workouts and I have my activity level set at very active.

My opinion is that steps one takes are simply activities of daily living and not anything that should be considered extraordinary physical effort.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    aniqa109 wrote: »
    Can i just ask...arent your steps part of your daily movement and they arent counted as exercise so you dont eat back the calories ( if that makes sense)

The steps are counted as 'exercise' because you're still burning then off as part of your daily movement.
    So if your MFP thinks you burn 2000 cals a day and gives you a deficit of 500 to lose. You'd eat 1500. That's make your weekly deficit 3500.
    Fitbit goes, hang on they're actually burning 2500 daily. Gives you them back as an adjustment of +500. If you don't eat them your actual daily deficit is 1000 cals. That makes you weekly deficit 7000 cals.

TL;DR version. If your fitbit is giving you calories, you're burning more than you think you are daily.
    In other words you've got your activity level wrong.
  • aniqa109
    Options
    Thankyouuuuuu that makes sense now!
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Im still confused:( if i walk more steps than my daily amount..that counts as exercise??

To Fitbit it does. I've lost 30 lbs so far, over 20 since I got my Fitbit and my rate of loss is consistent with the extra calories Fitbit gives me.

I'm set at sedentary and my Fitbit starts giving me calories at about 3,000 steps.

To hit 10,000 steps I actually have to go for a walk, most days for at least 45 minutes to top up my steps. So that many steps is definitely not part of my regular living my life activity.

• aniqa109
    Options
    Which fitbit is best?is fitbit charge good?
    I have a step counter app on my phone but i easily get 10,000 steps without additional walks
  • darkriver2012
    darkriver2012 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I only use the excercise element the bit that says that you have certain amount of active minutes. I do 50 minutes of delibrate walking which was 5500 steps and I got back 81 cals.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I eat back most of my fitbit adjustments and have had no trouble losing weight. I stopped logging all step based exercise while wearing the fitbit. I also wear it while horseback riding and just let it do its thing. The only thing I do that I log is hoof trimming since it is physically intensive but with few steps. I log that as "Horse grooming" so I know it is probably really underestimating. But it works for me. I'm losing weight. :)

All of the Fitbit trackers are great. The Flex has some issues with batteries that sometimes fail to keep a charge and bands that break easily but the company is really good about sending replacements. Choose the one that fits your needs. I have the Flex. I like it, in spite of having had to deal with a bad battery.

A friend of mine has the Charge HR and likes it but the thing is much larger and I think I would not like a larger bulky item on my wrist. I don't even like to wear jewelry.

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Which fitbit is best?is fitbit charge good?

Which Fitbit you choose is entirely a matter of personal preference. They all calculate your TDEE and sync with MFP.

Charge HR is only, what, $20 more than Charge, but it has a secure buckle (like a watch) rather than a flimsy clasp. My Flex fell off, so I upgraded to Charge HR. And it has a heart-rate monitor.
  • aniqa109
    Options
    Thankyou for yr help