Alcohol

Options
apittsle
apittsle Posts: 31 Member
Hi everyone,

Has anyone completely stopped drinking while trying to lose weight? Or what kind of low cal drinks can you recommend?

Replies

• OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Uh, for how long? I haven't had a beer in a week or so, but I'm not going to delete the "Hootch" section of the food diary anytime soon.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    apittsle wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Has anyone completely stopped drinking while trying to lose weight? Or what kind of low cal drinks can you recommend?
    I quit most of my heavy drinking as it's empty calories, and when I get drunk, I eat like a government mule.

• 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Gin. A standard 1.5 ounce pour is 110 calories.

It doesn't hurt that my go-to drink has long been Tanqueray on the rocks with a twist of lemon.
  • clearlydivinesounique
    clearlydivinesounique Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my sippy sip to a minimum. When I do I'll indulge in a glass of wine or vodka and flavored seltzer.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I like white wine spritzers, especially on hot days. Wine, maybe a bit of fruit, and club soda over ice. A Bloody Mary made with spicy V-8 is also nice, and you get a serving of vegetables so the calories aren't a total waste.
  • zombiemusicgirl
    zombiemusicgirl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite ready to give up beer. I don't know if I ever will be. So it's just plan ahead and try to stick to the plan. My husband has a show tonight, so in definitely budgeting for a bar pie and a couple of blue moons. Just two though. Any more and I'll order 2 more pies and an order of wings!
    Wine spritzer are a nice option for cookouts and dinners. That half bottle goes a much longer way in that case!
  • lovart4
    lovart4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I usually do tequila blanco, soda water and lime juice. Depends on your taste preference.
  • freak4iron
    freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    I've quit drinking until I am at goal of 10% alcohol. Then I'll be starting a bulk cycle and can't wait to be able to throw a few beers back again! If your not keen on water I'd suggest iced tea sweetened with something other than sugar, any diet soda is alright to, also black coffee.
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I did not quit alcohol during my weight loss. I quit drinking so much and so often, and switched to vodka from beer with low calorie or no calorie mixes like Crystal Light over ice. You can make some surprisingly yummy drinks that way. I also make sure to squeeze in a workout the day of a party or bbq to offset some of the cals from a light beer or two. And I am down almost 140 lbs.
  • freak4iron
    Options
    KarlaH9801 wrote: »
    I did not quit alcohol during my weight loss. I quit drinking so much and so often, and switched to vodka from beer with low calorie or no calorie mixes like Crystal Light over ice. You can make some surprisingly yummy drinks that way. I also make sure to squeeze in a workout the day of a party or bbq to offset some of the cals from a light beer or two. And I am down almost 140 lbs.

No doubt you can still be successful while drinking, but IMO you can be even more successful if you cut it out completley. For me it's not so much the alcohol as it is a combination of the empty calories from the alcohol, the "fuk it" attitude I get while drinking that always leads to over eating some of the nastiest bar food, the feeling lazy and hung over the next day which takes cuts into my work out time.... Etc.

My preformance has definitley increased since I quit drinking completley and im just more determined to push myself if I'm not making exceptions with alcohol every now and the ... That's just me though and I'm determined to put 100% into this lifestyle at the moment...
  • Jacqui_Runs
    Jacqui_Runs Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I definitely love my wine. I have a glass a few times a week, but I always log it. My other go-to drink if I'm out is coconut rum and pineapple juice. And if I know I'm going out and want to indulge a little, I'll put in a really good work out and eat lighter throughout the day. I don't think anyone should cut out anything, IMO.

While I'm not refuting the fact that giving up alcohol would help you lose weight faster, what i like about this program is that it allows me to eat and drink in a way that works in my daily life, as long as I'm in a calorie deficit. I'm not saying throw back 5 beers, but once or twice a week after work won't hurt if you can swing it.
  • Tamlyngo
    Tamlyngo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of red wine before bed most nights. (Yes, there are health benefits with red, lol!). If I'm out, date night, event etc. I'll have vodka and water (has to be the good stuff though) with lime. The calories really add up one you start adding mixes. If I have a few too many I do extra cardio the next day. Punishment if I'm hungover, lol!
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    freak4iron wrote: »

No doubt you can still be successful while drinking, but IMO you can be even more successful if you cut it out completley. For me it's not so much the alcohol as it is a combination of the empty calories from the alcohol, the "fuk it" attitude I get while drinking that always leads to over eating some of the nastiest bar food, the feeling lazy and hung over the next day which takes cuts into my work out time.... Etc.

My preformance has definitley increased since I quit drinking completley and im just more determined to push myself if I'm not making exceptions with alcohol every now and the ... That's just me though and I'm determined to put 100% into this lifestyle at the moment...

That works great, for some, not so much for others. I have a glass of wine, every night, with dinner. If drinking leads to a hangover, then the person is over drinking.

I am in the wine business, so obviously I am around wine daily. I did abstain for eight months. I tasted and spit, at our meetings and events. Then, I added wine back in, one glass per day.

Bottom line, for me, I am not going to give up any food item. I am just going to enjoy it in a different manner. It has worked, for me. I have lost 76 pounds (almost back to my former, thin, self.) I lost those pounds eating real food, not totally cutting out any food or drink item.
  • freak4iron
    Options
    pdxwine wrote: »

That works great, for some, not so much for others. I have a glass of wine, every night, with dinner. If drinking leads to a hangover, then the person is over drinking.

I am in the wine business, so obviously I am around wine daily. I did abstain for eight months. I tasted and spit, at our meetings and events. Then, I added wine back in, one glass per day.

Bottom line, for me, I am not going to give up any food item. I am just going to enjoy it in a different manner. It has worked, for me. I have lost 76 pounds (almost back to my former, thin, self.) I lost those pounds eating real food, not totally cutting out any food or drink item.

I get your point and I do agree. I think it's kind of a "different strokes for different folks" kinda deal.

Like I said it wasn't the alcohol calories that was hindering my progress it was the affect it had in my mentality. Even one drink made me too care free for my liking, this led to laziness or over eating in my experience.

Some people can have one or two and still stick to the rest of their dietary commitment but for me it just made it harder than it was worth, plus I'd rather get those 200 calories in the form of tasty food.

I'm not this strict when I'm not trying to loose bodyfat so it's not like I'm depriving myself of any pleasures in life, I'm just putting them off for a more appropriate time. When I'm bulking I will enjoy a beer with every dinner, but I'll also enjoy a lot of other foods as well...

You just have to see what suits you best, there is no "right" answer to this.
  • jacoblp
    jacoblp Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I cut down to about 1 drink a week while I was dieting hard. Now my tolerance is gone (as well as 50 lbs) which makes me a super lightweight.

When minimizing calories, stick to liquor. I like whiskey+diet coke or vodka+Fresca.
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Yes I finally gave up alcohol to lose weight. It has helped a great deal for me to achieve my 20 pound loss. However the second I have a glass of wine I have instant bloating and water weight. It's frustrating
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    yep, 330ml of beer most days, no problems, able to lose weight still
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options

Yup, this right here for me too.
  • saladcrunchy
    saladcrunchy Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    BBC2 Horizon – Is Binge Drinking really that bad?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0JL3Q-lpVY

not necessarily it seems but it's a sure fire saboteur when trying to diet, well, for some folks anyway.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    straight tequila anejo...no training wheels