To butter or not to butter ????

Options

Replies

• gilliebee63
    gilliebee63 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    When I want butter, I eat the real thing. And log it. I also use good oils for cooking and sauces.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I eat real butter. Usually 2tbsp of the Organic Valley Cultured Pasture Butter. Most of the time I eat it on some sprouted toast or a bagel or something, but if I don't have the calories for that, I will sometimes just eat it off a spoon by itself. Absolutely delicious. Those fake, crappy margarines aren't worth the calories that they have.

Between the butter, nut butters, coconut oil, and red palm oil, I have wonderful skin and hair. Don't replace the healthy, natural fats in your diet for cheap processed oils. If you want a lower calorie alternative, look into whipped butter. It's basically just regular butter with air whipped into it so that it has fewer calories per tablespoon. Kerrygold makes a great one.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    It has to be real butter (or oil) or nothing, I can taste the difference immediately, can't do it.

For alternative spreads on sandwiches, you can try pesto, hummus, avocado (all good but also high cal). Lower cal: whole grain mustard, and some stewed vegetable spreads (I like a particular sweet red pepper spread myself)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil the most, coconut oil the second most, but I like butter too. Don't see any reason to use margarine over butter when butter tastes better.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Personally, I prefer butter for flavor and it just cooks better. If you want to a margarine spread, you might look for ones that are trans-fat free, otherwise go for it.

Hopefully all the nutrition conscious people here realize that up to 1/2 gram of trans fat per serving can be in a product without it being listed on the label. I assume all fake butters (margarine) have trans fats because to make a liquid oil into a solid it is hydrogenated. I could be wrong and some other process may be utilized in some but hydrogenating is the most common method.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I use country crock to spread, like on toast/waffles, and then real butter for cooking/baking and anything that requires it to be melted, like popcorn. Hubs uses the country crock by default for everything.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Butter. Discovered Kerrygold butter several months ago: game changer. SO good.
  • MayaEmProject
    MayaEmProject Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't do butter at all, avocado with olive oil, salt and pepper smashed as spread is better and healthier option i think. I use non stick 0cal butter spray though. It doesn't change the taste as you use just a little.
  • jessathemessa
    jessathemessa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I use country crock to spread, like on toast/waffles, and then real butter for cooking/baking and anything that requires it to be melted, like popcorn. Hubs uses the country crock by default for everything.

This is exactly what I do. And my boyfriend refuses to use real butter on anything except maybe some cooking.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Butter EVERY time, I just spread it thinly :smiley:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    i use butter where butter is called for...but i use far more olive and avocado oil.
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I use real butter for toast and to cook meat in. Other meats I use olive oil. I grew up on "I can't believe it's not butter!". I still think it's gross. And now 30 pounds later I love regular butter in moderation.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Real butter. But only a small amount and when the occasion truly calls for butter...like toast. But I cook with olive oil.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I use both. Just depends on what I am doing with it. That being said, it HAS to be KerryGold butter or nothing for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    708.png
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    I am curious of how everyone feels about those "fake" butter tasting spreads (that have a lot of additives that I can't even pronounce ) vs. REAL butter. I have heard that real butter is actually better for you knowing that it is pure ingredients rather than all those fake ones in the spreads. Thoughts ?? What do you use??

How I feel about fake butter:

7679764.jpg

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I don't use margarine or butter very often, but I use both on occasion. The margarine I use has added plant sterols and has no partially hydrogenated vegetable oils.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    use what you prefer. I use light margarine, for taste, spread ability, and cost. real butter is 4 bucks a pound here.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I use margarine because it's cheaper per serving than the spreadable butter I used to get. I'm mostly concerned with price than if something is "real" or "fake".
  • biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I use butter every day to fry my eggs.

Taste.So.Good