ALTERNATIVE TO PUSH JERKS?

Options
Yeah, I am just a beginner at strength training/lifting and my current workout program calls for push jerks, but I just don't feel comfortable with such an explosive motion just yet... is there an alternative I can sub for those sets?

Something that could also help with eventually leading up to a push jerk?

Thanks in advance!! :)

Replies

• camlbella
    camlbella Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What I would do would be to break down the motion into its non-explosive components. Work on front squats and overhead press just to make sure your body is capable of comfortably executing those motions. Then gradually work into the full explosive lift, first using a broomstick, then a fixed-weight bar, and finally an olympic bar. Make sure you watch youtube videos of more experienced lifters so you are completely confident before you attempt the lift. If you are uncomfortable with explosive motions, you might also consider working plyometrics into your routine before starting to push jerk.

Olympic lifts are the best! I hope this helps!
  • PoleFit96
    PoleFit96 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My current routine does involve plyometrics already, it's just the whole idea of doing it with a bar that seems sort of intimidating... :pensive:

But yeah, that makes sense.. I think I'm going to just try to break it down and focus on getting the right form before I attempt the "explosiveness" haha, thanks alot!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    PoleFit96 wrote: »
    Yeah, I am just a beginner at strength training/lifting and my current workout program calls for push jerks, but I just don't feel comfortable with such an explosive motion just yet

Whoever designed that program obviously didn't design it for beginners. Why don't you switch to a beginner's program?
  • PoleFit96
    Options
    Tbh, I'm 2 weeks into it now and have had no problems other than the push jerk. Everything else is like geared towards beginners! I have just been skipping the push jerk for 2 weeks, but now I want to try and work on it :)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Can you share a link to the program, please?

On the subject of the jerk, perhaps you can work on getting comfortable OHP the barbell first.

When you have the ability to stabilise a loaded bar overhead, then maybe look to working in a slightly more explosive overhead variation - the push press.

Finally, when you're comfortable with that variation, work in some jerks.

Practice with pvc pipe/broomsticks etc while you're working your way through the other variations of overhead work
  • PoleFit96
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/erin-stern-elite-body-4-week-fitness-trainer-day-1.html

And yeah that's what I plan to do I just wanna be comfortable with the whole explosiveness and ensure my form is proper before I wanna try attempting it with the bar :open_mouth:
  • jimmmer
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/erin-stern-elite-body-4-week-fitness-trainer-day-1.html

And yeah that's what I plan to do I just wanna be comfortable with the whole explosiveness and ensure my form is proper before I wanna try attempting it with the bar :open_mouth:

Just checked it out - she basically says sub in overhead press if you're not comfortable jerking. So yeah, do that and work on getting the technique down (either as a light warm up or in your off-time). It's basically getting the timing right on the double dip. And you're working on getting under the bar with locked out arms rather than pressing the weight up. It's a skill and needs to be drilled a fair bit to groove it in.

No time spent learning an Oly variation is wasted though.
  • Cherimoose
    Options
    Tbh, I'm 2 weeks into it now and have had no problems other than the push jerk. Everything else is like geared towards beginners!

That's a 5-day split workout, which is an advanced program for building bulk - regardless of who they claim it's for. The high training volume can cause injuries in beginners.. and not necessarily right away. Newbies do best on a full-body workout or at most a 2 part split (upper / lower). Advanced lifters don't need more than a 3 day split unless the goal is maximal mass. Try NROL4W or Stronglifts. :+1:

• jordanmeyer89
    jordanmeyer89 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Do military/overhead press. The only time you should use a push jerk is when you can't get the weight above your head on a strict press. If you aren't doing Olympic lifting and requiring a clean and jerk you are better off just doing overhead presses. The jerk is a "cheater" motion that calls more body parts, namely legs, to do a shoulder lift. Do legs elsewhere in squats or leg presses deadlifts etc.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    Well of course no one should ever do anything other than the officially sanctioned beginner's programmes...

And, God forbid anyone other than a competitive O-lifter dares to learn an Oly variation...

OP: hope you're enjoying the routine, having fun and making some progress. Rock on!

• Cherimoose
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Well of course no one should ever do anything other than the officially sanctioned beginner's programmes...

Nobody here said that. I'm saying that doing 12 to 24 sets per bodypart carries a much greater injury risk for a beginner. I don't think many fitness professionals would recommend that many sets for a newbie.
  • PoleFit96
    Options
    Hmmm you guys may have a point. I am currently liking this routine, but I don't want to damage anything in the long run! I'm going to do a bit more research on actual beginner programs maybe those geared towards full body workouts :)
  • jimmmer
    Options
    Hmmm you guys may have a point. I am currently liking this routine, but I don't want to damage anything in the long run! I'm going to do a bit more research on actual beginner programs maybe those geared towards full body workouts :)

I was being sarcastic towards the other posters. If you're enjoying the routine and moving towards your goals while staying injury free, then there's nothing wrong with what you're doing.

There's an orthodoxy that says if you don't train a certain way you'll either hurt yourself or get nowhere. In reality, progressive resistance is all that's needed. 5x5, 3x8, 4x6, 1x20, 2x12, etc: it all works. Just increase the weights within the horizon of your abilities and keep working hard and eating to support the training goal and you'll make progress.
  • PoleFit96
    Options
    @jimmmer Oh Im sorry I thought you were agreeing haha and yeah I find myself enjoying my routine and never really "too sore" after a workout.

And yeah, I'm just gonna stick to weights I feel comfortable with until I can build a stable base, then eventually increase em little by little :)

Honestly, Thank you for the reassurance because I felt sorta confused cause I'm already into my 3rd week into the program and yeah
  • jimmmer
    Options
    @jimmmer Oh Im sorry I thought you were agreeing haha and yeah I find myself enjoying my routine and never really "too sore" after a workout.

And yeah, I'm just gonna stick to weights I feel comfortable with until I can build a stable base, then eventually increase em little by little :)

Honestly, Thank you for the reassurance because I felt sorta confused cause I'm already into my 3rd week into the program and yeah

Just keep increasing the weights within the horizon of what you can tolerate. Make progress and enjoy.

The best full body 3x/week routine in the world won't do you any good if you're bored shitless by it and quit in a fortnight.

If you're enjoying the routine and are tolerating the volume, then keep doing it and keep increasing the load in a manageable fashion (I'm sure the programme includes some guidance on how and when to increase the load).

As to the bolded bit. What specifically do you feel you need reassurance with? That it's not challenging enough? That you're worried that it won't help you achieve your goals?
  • PoleFit96
    Options
    @jimmmer I just got scared that this program will injure all beginners and that we shouldn't attempt Olympic lifts :persevere: