What are good fat burning exercises?

One of my biggest problem when it comes to weight loss, is that I am incredibly lazy. I don't workout for very long. I start, break into a sweat, and then decide I want to give up. I heard HIIT workouts are great for fat loss, but I'm not sure what kind of exercises HIIT are. Right now all I'm doing is jogging daily, which will range anywhere from 5 minutes to 15 minutes at a time. I also do stuff like jumping jacks, pushups, crunches, and squats. That's all I do, but it doesn't get me anywhere near an hour a day like it should be. I've been inside recently because it's been over 100 degrees out. I don't have any fitness equipment right now because it's in storage since I'm living in a small apartment at the moment. All I have are weights.

Replies

• Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    One of my biggest problem when it comes to weight loss, is that I am incredibly lazy. I don't workout for very long. I start, break into a sweat, and then decide I want to give up. I heard HIIT workouts are great for fat loss, but I'm not sure what kind of exercises HIIT are. Right now all I'm doing is jogging daily, which will range anywhere from 5 minutes to 15 minutes at a time. I also do stuff like jumping jacks, pushups, crunches, and squats. That's all I do, but it doesn't get me anywhere near an hour a day like it should be. I've been inside recently because it's been over 100 degrees out. I don't have any fitness equipment right now because it's in storage since I'm living in a small apartment at the moment. All I have are weights.
    HIIT [High Intense Interval Training]
    Google that...and enjoy!

I try to do this 3 times per week in some way for many reasons given its benefits.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    While you're jogging, try doing interval sprints. Run as hard as you can for 1 minute, then revert to normal pace jogging. Rinse and repeat.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Fitness blender has some good HIIT work outs. They are free on youtube.
  • GreenTeaPotato
    GreenTeaPotato Posts: 40 Member
    Prolonged cardio will burn the most calories. HIIT may take less time, but is very intense.

Personally I like running/jogging. Great for the heart and lungs and burning calories.

It sounds like you poop out after jogging up to 15 minutes. Maybe you're pushing yourself too hard. Instead of stopping when it gets tough, just SLOW DOWN to a more comfortable pace and keep going. Or walk-jog-walk-jog for 45-60 minutes. If you do that several times a week or daily, you'll find yourself getting fitter and able to move faster for longer periods.
  • madkcole
    madkcole Posts: 110 Member

I think it's more important to focus on exercising more efficiently than to try to workout for an hour. Thinking you have to work out for an hour is an unrealistic expectation, especially since you admit you don't enjoy exercise. I don't think any fitness trainer would tell you have to exercise for an hour at a time. Do some research on exercise and strength training to find out how to get the most bang for your buck. Talk to trainers if you can. They can help you put together a routine that should meet your needs and help you achieve your goals.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Good luck ever seeing progress if you're not willing to work for it. HIIT is not something for you if you're not willing push yourself. It literally means working at near max for an interval then resting for an interval, generally 2:1 rest work. And nothing nothing but a calorie deficit results in weight loss..
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    You do exercise to improve your (cardiovascular) health.
    Weightloss happens in the kitchen.

Also, use those weights. When doing a weightlifting routine you decrease the amount of muscle you lose as part of regular weightloss.
    So, most of your loss is fat.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    \ I don't workout for very long. I start, break into a sweat, and then decide I want to give up. I heard HIIT workouts are great for fat loss...

From your description, you aren't fit enough to benefit from HIIT, and are more likely to injure yourself, if anything.

Go out and do a C25K and get your cardio fitness up to a nominally ok level first.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    My favourite fat burning exercise is the table push away........eat less, move more (and if you're only able to run for short periods of time consider using a walk/run program to build up your cardiovascular fitness and endurance) Can't help you with the laziness other than to say if you want something badly enough you'll figure out a way to do it......
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Just try and move more. Movement burns calories. You cna burn more by increasing intensity or duration. It takes an awful lot of exercise to burn significant amounts of calories. Hiit is not an easy alternative and from your post id say unsuitable for you until you are prepared to really go for it. You will be lucky to burn 300-450 cals an hour so thats c 10 hours of continuos exercise to burn 1lb.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    There really isn't such a thing as a "fat burning" exercise. Cardio exercise is best for burning calories. If you burn more calories than you consume, the body will use the stored fat as fuel.

Weight/fat loss happens due to reducing caloric consumption.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    The trouble with exercise for weight loss is that you are tempted to reward yourself with a doughnut and you can't out exercise a doughnut. Scale weight is mostly about what you eat. Exercise is about body composition (fat:lean ratio).

As we age our struggles are three; getting fatter, getting weaker, becoming less mobile. Eat right for fat loss. Lift things (iron or your own body) for strength. Move/use your body to maintain mobility.

Specific to your question. Don't want to exercise much? Kettlebell swings give you a lot of bang for the buck (far more per time spent than low intensity stuff like jogging).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,910 Member
    There really isn't such a thing as a "fat burning" exercise. Cardio exercise is best for burning calories. If you burn more calories than you consume, the body will use the stored fat as fuel.

Weight/fat loss happens due to reducing caloric consumption.
    THIS. Exercise burns calories. If you want to lose fat, you eat less than you burn and make sure to get enough rest since rest is when the most fat is burned (100% of fuel burned is fat at rest unless there's alcohol in the system). We are at rest more hours per day than working out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• LyssaRonnell
    LyssaRonnell Posts: 182 Member
    Try inline skating that's what I do and it's amazing! It's so fun it doesn't feel like exercise until I get home and then I can feel the burn all over. Feel free to message and friend request me.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    dlm7507 wrote: »
    The trouble with exercise for weight loss is that you are tempted to reward yourself with a doughnut ...

I find it's the exact opposite - the more active I am, the more my body rejects unnecessary food.
  • bigrach97
    bigrach97 Posts: 8 Member
    I did this and it only took like 20 min and I worked up a sweat!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Get into a sport. Then you will want to be faster/stronger and will exercise more.
  • VillageSmithy
    VillageSmithy Posts: 42 Member
    Invent little ways to burn calories. Sit less; walk more. Park at the distant corner. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Stand while you're on the phone. Leave the cart in the supermarket and carry the bags.
  • i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR Posts: 3,315 Member
    Walking....long walks take time, but if you hate to sweat and need to burn calories in order to lose weight. Creating a calorie deficit from consuming less and burning more---walking is the easiest thing to do! Get a fit bit...or polar ...something that measures your burn and set a goal for walking 200 or 300 calories per walk. It really works! Good luck!
  • i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR Posts: 3,315 Member
    bigrach97 wrote: »
    I did this and it only took like 20 min and I worked up a sweat!

Thanks for posting this! I'm using it! :)