Not eating enough? Tired and cranky in afternoons.

hello I am day 11 of my new lifestyle change, I have been eating under the recommended calories around 1000 cal a day, and light excercise everyday just building myself up, I am waking up great feel very energised untill around five and then I am soooo cranky and tired. I don't know what to eat in the evening... I feel like I have the flu.. Have I been eating too few carbs ?I started out thinking low carb high protein, but I am not feeling that into eating loads of protein, but I am scared of too many carbs - grains... I am determined not to eat wheat due to being unable to access orgainic grains, but I have been eating organic oats.... Just feeling like crap after feeling good am I detoxing ? Cheers.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Eat the amount of calories that MFP has set you.
    Eat back half to 75% of your exercise calories.
    You are probably tired and grouchy because you are not eating enough.

Without more information on your stats it is hard to give any advice.

If after upping your calories you still feel the same get some medical help.

Cheers, h.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    you're eating under the recommended number of calories and wondering why you're really hungry and feeling ill... :huh: :noway:
  • Treasureslide
    Treasureslide Posts: 42 Member
    Yes I guess a initial mistake is thinking less is better... My bloods are good, just had a thorough health check, I just don't know what to eat in the evenings. After dinner, perhaps low fat protein is best... Yoghurt . Thanks.
  • Treasureslide
    Yep the 1000 calories is not working :). Just impatient. What to fill up on? ....
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Yep the 1000 calories is not working :). Just impatient. What to fill up on? ....

Whatever you like. You will still be in deficit if you eat the amount of calories recommended by MFP so you will still lose weight.

If you want foods that will satiate for longer, aim for snacks with fat and protein.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Yes I guess a initial mistake is thinking less is better... My bloods are good, just had a thorough health check, I just don't know what to eat in the evenings. After dinner, perhaps low fat protein is best... Yoghurt . Thanks.

Fat is essential for a healthy diet - make sure you're not dropping it too low by only eating low fat foods.
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Yup all the above and don't believe the hype about carbs - you need some for a balanced diet (complex carbs of course) Check this info out: http://www.muscleforlife.com/?s=carbs
  • Treasureslide
    Hehe it's difficult... So much info out there, I am very much into whole foods anyway, I think when the MFP told me I was overdoing my fat quota by including coconut cream and oil in my diet. I am confused by the macro nutrient levels. Thanks you for taking the time to answer.
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    I remember reading somewhere recently about a study between groups- one on a very low calorie diet and another on a more more moderate deficit. After about 6months they had both lost around the same amount of weight.

And I'm sure I know who had the more pleasant experience. If you eat a very low calorie diet you are more likely to feel cold, hungry, angry, depressed and miserable. Exercise is an unpleasant chore instead of a boost, life is less fun. You are likely to throw in the towel and binge. You are more likely to loose muscle mass in considerable amounts as well as fat. Why even go there?

I say make a lifestyle change, set a smaller deficit, loose weight slower but enjoy the ride! :smile: )
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    elfin168 wrote: »
    I remember reading somewhere recently about a study between groups- one on a very low calorie diet and another on a more more moderate deficit. After about 6months they had both lost around the same amount of weight.

And I'm sure I know who had the more pleasant experience. If you eat a very low calorie diet you are more likely to feel cold, hungry, angry, depressed and miserable. Exercise is an unpleasant chore instead of a boost, life is less fun. You are likely to throw in the towel and binge. You are more likely to loose muscle mass in considerable amounts as well as fat. Why even go there?

I say make a lifestyle change, set a smaller deficit, loose weight slower but enjoy the ride! :smile: )

Absolutely correct! Slow & steady, wins the race!
  • mom24uk
    mom24uk Posts: 54 Member
    1000 calories isn't enough. Try and eat a little more and maybe you wouldn't feel so hungry at night. Fill up on tons of veg and salad in the evening to tide you over 'til morning. Eating nutrient dense foods is better. If you're still hungry, get something to eat. I find if I'm hungry and I don't eat I end up binging and blowing my calories big style. I'm better off just eating even if that means going over by a little than pushing it. It tends to balance in the long run as some days you eat a little less. Have some cottage cheese, peanut butter and celery, nuts and apple or even a whole meal sandwich. I do find that eating proteins or healthy fats keeps me going longer, anything processed or sugary doesn't fill me (some yoghurt is full of sugar :( ).

There's tons of info on here to find out how much you should be eating.

Have a look at this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

I used scoobys' calculator.

You can do it :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Enter your info. Pick a 20% deficit. Eat that. There is NO reason to starve yourself to lose weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Eat more food.