Avoiding reality a bit here..

Options
I used to be really fit and active, and I mean really fit and active. I did gymnastics, went to cadets so did a lot of strength and cardio, studied physical subjects and school etc etc but this was a good two years ago. Now I'm putting off getting back into exercise in fear of seeing how much my ability has declined. I know I just need to get my *kitten* in gear and stop making excuses. What motivates you to work out?

Replies

• lauraleecremeans
    lauraleecremeans Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A really good playlist.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I turn into a *kitten* if I don't work out. Usually my other half or kids kick me out for a run if I need it. Lol!
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    klbidder wrote: »
    I used to be really fit and active, and I mean really fit and active. I did gymnastics, went to cadets so did a lot of strength and cardio, studied physical subjects and school etc etc but this was a good two years ago. Now I'm putting off getting back into exercise in fear of seeing how much my ability has declined. I know I just need to get my *kitten* in gear and stop making excuses. What motivates you to work out?
    My motivation is all internal.
    I simply desire to be the best version of myself.
    What got me off my bum was a picture I saw of myself fat. That was not how I wanted to be. I looked like the "Dad-Bod" poster guy.
    No thanks!

• eatingfatbeingfat
    eatingfatbeingfat Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind no one is holding you to that imaginary standard but yourself. Forget about the big goals, go out and do it, and make a tiny weekly goal to achieve. With exercise or anything else, most people find large hurdles intimidating and they psych themselves out. The key to eating a whale is one bite at a time. (Does anyone else remember Shel Silverstien?) The cool thing that I am super envious of, is that you have done it before. If you have done it before, you know you can achieve it, because you already have. And you are older, smarter and more experienced now, so you may very well do it better.
  • klbidder
    klbidder Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    davis_em wrote: »
    I turn into a *kitten* if I don't work out. Usually my other half or kids kick me out for a run if I need it. Lol!

Amazing! Maybe that explains things for me haha
    I looked like the "Dad-Bod" poster guy.
    No thanks!

I've heard the "dad-bod" is in fashion and hot !!

Keep in mind no one is holding you to that imaginary standard but yourself. Forget about the big goals, go out and do it, and make a tiny weekly goal to achieve. With exercise or anything else, most people find large hurdles intimidating and they psych themselves out. The key to eating a whale is one bite at a time. (Does anyone else remember Shel Silverstien?) The cool thing that I am super envious of, is that you have done it before. If you have done it before, you know you can achieve it, because you already have. And you are older, smarter and more experienced now, so you may very well do it better.

This is very sound advice. Thank you