water, water, and oh.... more water!

VeryKerri
VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok, so I was NEVER a water drinker by choice before. I have become a convert and I love it now. I try and drink around 15-20 glasses a day. I just keep a 20 oz bottle of water at my desk and fill it over and over again. I also drink an 8 oz glass of water after every time I go to the restroom! Which leads me into the reason for this post. I go to the restroom every 30 minutes!!!! Iam wondering if my body will ever get used to this much water and allow me to last a little longer??? Has anyone had this issue and is able to hold out a little longer? It is actually starting to interfere with my work. I know I have to drink this water but I am just not sure I can if this is going to continue!!! I don't drink after 7 so that I can get a full night sleep! so how do I get in 160 oz a day without going to the bathroom all day long????? ARGH!

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I think your body will get used to it 'cause I don't pee as often as I used to but I end up peeing LONGER when I'm in there, so I'm still getting rid of the excess in my bladder. It just takes time! :happy: I drink usually a minimum of 15 glasses everyday (I also have a big water bottle - 24 oz) and can pee anywhere from 5 to 8 times a day.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    I've been drinking 3 liters a day for 3 months now, and my body isn't getting used to it. I've been getting into trouble at work for it lately.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    I know that a lot of people think the more water the better, but keep in mind too much water can be harmful to your health. In large enough quantities it can poison you, causing damage to your liver. I know I haven't seen many posts on here about it and you may not be drinking THAT much, but I just wanted to post this as an FYI. Here's a link for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
  • junebug523
    junebug523 Posts: 196
    I've been an avid water drinker for years now, but lately I've been sneaking in an extra 20+ oz in the last couple of hours before going to bed...because on work days, I only have time to exercise in the evenings.

Last night I had to get up to pee 2 times, and that wasn't including the pee before going to bed and the pee upon waking up. Eek!
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    This is from the Mayo clinic website:

How much water do you need?
    Every day you lose water through your breath, perspiration, urine and bowel movements. For your body to function properly, you must replenish its water supply by consuming beverages and foods that contain water.

So how much water does the average, healthy adult living in a temperate climate need? In general, doctors recommend 8 or 9 cups. Here are the most common ways of calculating that amount:

■Replacement approach. The average urine output for adults is about 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) a day. You lose close to an additional liter (about 4 cups) of water a day through breathing, sweating and bowel movements. Food usually accounts for 20 percent of your total fluid intake, so if you consume 2 liters of water or other beverages a day (a little more than 8 cups) along with your normal diet, you will typically replace your lost fluids.
    ■Eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. Another approach to water intake is the "8 x 8 rule" — drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day (about 1.9 liters). The rule could also be stated, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," as all fluids count toward the daily total. Although the approach really isn't supported by scientific evidence, many people use this easy-to-remember rule as a guideline for how much water and other fluids to drink.
    ■Dietary recommendations. The Institute of Medicine advises that men consume roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day and women consume 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day.
    Even apart from the above approaches, if you drink enough fluid so that you rarely feel thirsty and produce 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) or more of colorless or slightly yellow urine a day, your fluid intake is probably adequate. If you're concerned about your fluid intake, check with your doctor or a registered dietitian. He or she can help you determine the amount of water that's best for you.
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Don't drink too much! 8 glasses of 8 oz is fine.. you get water through other things you eat, too, such as fruit and veg. I think you're overdoing it!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Water in = water out.
    drinknig a lot = p ing a lot
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    I read an article on water and weight loss that said that you should drink at least 8 glasses of 8 ounces a day, but for every 25 pounds you need to lose, you should drink an extra 8 ounces, hence me drinking 15-20 glasses a day. Thoughts??
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    There are a lot of approaches to this.
    Something else I heard was your standard 64oz plus an ounce for every lb you want to lose. For those who want to lose 100lbs or more that could be deadly!
    So not every formula will work.
    I've been drinking at minimum 80 oz. of water/day (usually more like 90-100) over the last two weeks and just recently have been able to hold it an hour or so :)
    But sometimes I revert to that 1/2 hr.
    Your body will get used to it, but right now it's probably so busy flushing out toxins and waste that you need to go as often as you are. That's certainly what mine is.
  • I have never heard of drinking water for each additional pound you want to lose, but be careful of drinking too much water. Your body will adjust I am certain, it just might take awhile, given the amount you are drinking. Someone else mentioned that all of your fluids in a day count, and that is what I adhere to as well. I make sure I get my 8 glasses a day in, and usually a cup of coffee at breakfast, and an iced tea at lunch.

Good luck!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    I shouldn't have read this thread today. I have no water in my office today which means no drinking or peeing!
  • ThumperWabbt
    ThumperWabbt Posts: 82 Member
    Look at your urine--if it's very pale yellow or clear, you're drinking enough. Much more than that and you're screwing with your body's electrolytes. If you saturate your body with water, your blood sodium dilutes, you throw off potassium...everything. Drink enough and you tip the body into water intoxication, which can be fatal.

The average adult only needs around 2 liters a day, a little more if you're exercising enough to lose extra fluids, and urinates 6 times a day...the gist is, if your urine is the right color, don't bother drinking more.

To quote my neurosurgeon: trust your hypothalamus. Drink when you're thirsty, don't when you're not.
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    I've heard to drink half your body weight in ounces of water... lol.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Oh boy, did I have an experience with drinking water today.... I had to have an ultrasound of my "lady parts" and was told to drink at least 32oz of water before the test to lift the bladder off of my organs that needed to be scanned. Well, I went to the gym beforehand and drank my usual 32oz while working out, but wound up peeing that out. Sooo, I decided to chug-a-lug another 32oz while waiting for my test. I was sitting in my mom's office at the hospital laughing and saying "I don't feel any expansion yet". So, I drank another 16.9oz of water and then walked across the way (about a 5 minute walk) to get my test done. OMG!!!! Just in the 5 minutes it took for them to take my paperwork and call me back into the room, I was in tears from the pain that my bladder was in!!!!

When the tech told me I could use the restroom and empty my bladder to complete round 2 of the test, I literally had to hold my distended belly/bladder in my hands like a pregnant woman cradles her baby belly and run like hell to the bathroom. I couldn't even get up off of the table my bladder was so full!!!

Needless to say, it has been over 7 hours since all of that water intake, and I'm STILL peeing every 20 minutes!!!!

So no, I don't know how in the world someone could get used to drinking that much water in a day and not pee every 20 minutes!!! And I imagine it is quite frustrating when you know you should be drinking water, and yes it will make you pee A LOT, but try explaining that to a boss. They most likely don't care about your personal weight loss goals, they only want your productivity (not the productivity of your bladder)!!!

Also, does anyone have any really good info or links about the whole drinking half of your body weight in water? I'm curious if there is any validity to that.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    I am not a water lover by any means. So in the past I've when I tried to increase my water intake to at least close to the recommended amount I'd find myself 'behind' for the day so I'd guzzle a whole bunch at once. That would cause me to have to pee a whole bunch at once very soon afterwards. :)

This time around I've spaced out by drinks and make them just normal drinks, even just a sip sometimes (I have a timer go off every 15 minutes to remind me to take a drink). I have noticed that doing it this way has not really increased my need to go to the bathroom. Now I'm no where near the amount of water most of you guys are talking about, but if there are any of you that tend do guzzle water with longer periods between drinks consider taking smaller drinks less often.
  • pfenixa
    pfenixa Posts: 194 Member
    I've heard to drink half your body weight in ounces of water... lol.

I heard the same thing, hehe. Though I think when I did the math it turned out to be less than the recommended 8 anyway. XD

Has anyone else that's lost a good chunk of weight noticed that they don't feel the need to drink as much water? It might be part of my position at work changing (I used to drive the van and now I sit in an office), but I've lost 20+ and I have to force down the same amount of water and I feel like I'm going to the bathroom more now than say a month ago.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    I know that a lot of people think the more water the better, but keep in mind too much water can be harmful to your health. In large enough quantities it can poison you, causing damage to your liver. I know I haven't seen many posts on here about it and you may not be drinking THAT much, but I just wanted to post this as an FYI. Here's a link for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
    I'll attest to this, I used to drink a ton of water all my life and now come to find out I have very very low sodium levels due to flushing out to much of the good stuff out of my body. It can happen and it does. You can really throw off your electrolytes in a bad way. Water is VERY good for our bodies but more than is necessary is simply not necessary. I never in my life thought it would happen to me, but it has so now I have to deal with a whole new set of problems.

I used to read all the articles ppl would post on here about drinking to much and throwing your body way off, ok, so I didn't read them,:blushing: I'll be honest, I probably scoffed at them and thought I had it all figured out. Well turns out I didn't, not sure if I can fix what's going on with me, but now I'm supposed to cut down on my water and I really don't drink much so it's tough to cut down when you don't drink much anymore. I'm always thirsty and it's more from having the low sodium issue than it is truly being thirsty, I guess, at least that's what I've been told? I don't know, this is all so new to this, just found out the last couple weeks.:ohwell:

So, from a water lover who never thought you had to limit it and never read the articles shared or when I did read them, thought they were bogus, proof here, might wanna cut down. As you don't know how it will effect you for a couple years. I'd been drinking a ton since 2007 (1/2 my weight in oz.)and only now just found out it's effecting me in a very negative way, no matter what the websites are saying you CAN drink too much, and have it greatly effect your health, all of our bodies vary greatly, in how it will effect us. It's so new to me, I have no idea yet if it's reversible.

SImply sharing how over-drinking a good thing for our bodies can turn into a bad situation. EVERYTHING in moderation, yes even water!

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Look at your urine--if it's very pale yellow or clear, you're drinking enough. Much more than that and you're screwing with your body's electrolytes. If you saturate your body with water, your blood sodium dilutes, you throw off potassium...everything. Drink enough and you tip the body into water intoxication, which can be fatal.

The average adult only needs around 2 liters a day, a little more if you're exercising enough to lose extra fluids, and urinates 6 times a day...the gist is, if your urine is the right color, don't bother drinking more.

To quote my neurosurgeon: trust your hypothalamus. Drink when you're thirsty, don't when you're not.
    ah, see now when I read posts like this, I believe them and get concerned for those drinking far more than they need. But as I shared, in the past I didn't stop but to quickly skim this type of post in the past. Silly silly ignorant me:ohwell: :sad: :flowerforyou:

Glad you posted this, maybe someone can be helped by reading this and take it seriously and not have their health effected,
    Thank you
    Becca:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.