Recovering HCH dieter... trying to loose weight naturally now and NOT happening

Options
I have completed two rounds of HCG and lost 15 lbs each time, and each time, I gained it back because I started to eat normally. Normally for me is clean, gluten free, dairy free. The weight just crept back up FAST each time as soon as I reintroduced starch/sugar. I stabilized around 154 and then went on vacation for 2 weeks and ate deserts, wine, beer, bread, etc.... Now I'm back up to 162.

My question is, I am now trying to build the muscle that I lost while dieting. I am working out with heavy weights/circuit training 4 days a week.
MFP says I should be eating 2000 to maintain but if I do that I gain weight fast!
Also, even at the suggested weight loss calories, I'm not losing.

I am not trying to loose weight fast anymore as I have seen that that does not take. I am patient, but I want to know if anyone knows what to expect? Do I have to go through a 'refeed' period to reboot my metabolism? How much weight can I expect to gain while i do that?

Or should I just cut my calories more? I don't want to continue the starvation cycle because that hasn't worked before.

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    You won't gain weight unless you eat at a calorie surplus.

You will lose weight if you eat at a calorie deficit.

Do you weigh your food and log every single thing you eat? Do you ensure that you are using correct entries? It might help if you open your diary too. If you are weight lifting, you would not eat those exercise calories back, they are part of your activity level. If you are doing cardio, you would eat about 75% of those calories back if you get your burns from MFP or other internet/phone app source.

You will only maintain muscle while weight lifting if eating at a calorie deficit, you will not gain any (except for slight newbie gains).

Starvation mode is a myth, unless you are emaciated and have lost quite a bit of muscle and body fat. You don't hold onto fat unless you are eating at a calorie surplus.

You do not need to reboot your metabolism.