Energy Drinks

Options
bdedi
bdedi Posts: 9 Member
OK,

I searched the forums and found several messages for 'energy drinks', but what I'm looking for is anybody drinking the 'sugar free/carb free' versions and what do you think of them?

I'm NOT looking for 'they're so bad for you' feedback, I'm looking for basic feedback. I used to be a four DOUBLE GULP a day drinker. Usually diet pepsi, but after my lapband surgery I went cold turkey and now I can barely stomach any soda, diet or otherwise that has caramel coloring in it.

Thanks!

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by energy drink? Examples?
    How is diet pepsi an energy drink?
    Isnt it the caffeine that forms the basis for most of them?

Why do you wnat to use them?
  • bdedi
    bdedi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

Examples:
    Rockstar/Monster

Looking for the morning/afternoon boost of caffeine.

• Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I've used the 5 hour energy shots in the past and they worked great. You could also just gulp a double espresso:)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    I used to drink diet Rockstar. The Taurine gave me the boost but I found the crash to be terrible. What about just sticking to coffee?
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I drink Monster and Rockstar as a novelty pick-me-up a few times a week, but wouldn't drink them on a daily basis. If you've got no tolerance for diet soda, I can't see how energy drinks would be any better.
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I used to drink two of the Monster Ultras every morning. I was getting tired of caffeine headaches when I wanted to sleep in, though, so I cut out caffeine completely. Those are definitely good, though.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I occasionally drink Rockstar and Aldi's store brand (I think it is called Gridlock) as a substitute for coffee on hot mornings in the summer. The low/no carb versions are no different IMHO than the originals.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    5 hour energy is awesome, with no crash. They taste horrible, with a dash of berry. I put half of one in a diet coke (my poison of choice) and sip it.
    I like the taste of the blue monster, but it doesn't give me as much energy as a sf red bull. They have more options in a sugar free/diet/lo carb variety, but they all taste awful.

Rockstar is worthless to me in the energy dept. I'd be better off with a diet soda, as they're cheaper.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Yeah, they are probably fine. The low/zero calorie ones are useful before workouts etc for Caffeine but they obviously replace the sugar with loads of chemicals. I don't drink them or coffee, but tried a Monster Zero this week. I think they could potentially be quite addictive to the point some people feel they cant work out/wake up etc without one. People feel like that about coffee too, but there are a lot of artificial ingredients in them as well as good B Vitamins. Who knows.
  • Lunawatuna
    Lunawatuna Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Water with a pinch of salt
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    An energy drink without sugar/corn syrup is a liquid form of;

?u=http%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-q1rMZ3G5G4M%2FUM0g0amfCJI%2FAAAAAAAASv0%2FWKwC6qNRuSY%2Fs1600%2Fno-doz.jpg&f=1
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I drink 'em, sure. I'm really partial to the Monster Rehab line. All of them are equally tasty. They're non-carbonated (no carbonic acid). The one I just drank after lunch is the tea+orangeade+energy one. It has 25 calories and 6 grams of sugar. A 15.5 ounce can has 161 mg of caffeine.

I drink energy drinks (mostly) for the taste, so the Rehab drinks suit me well. If I'm looking for pure energy, I'll pop a few Motivation! capsules or add some pure powdered caffeine to whatever drink I'm consuming.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    bdedi wrote: »

Examples:
    Rockstar/Monster

I've had the monster Zero energy drinks. They are alright. They give that caffeine burst I need, but I could never sleep the night after I've had one regardless of what time a day I drank it. I personally enjoy the Mountain Dew Kickstarts more.
  • sealensfit
    sealensfit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like the Monster Ultra's. Orange (Sunrise) and the Ultra Blue are good, but they just came out with a new Ultra Black that is black cherry flavoured - it's awesome.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    bdedi wrote: »

Examples:
    Rockstar/Monster

Heres a great site I found that reviews all the energy drinks for you.
    http://www.caffeineinformer.com/sugar-free-energy-drink-chart

Not sure id be using them on a regular basis as I think they are a bit expensive and its mostly the caffeine. The site shows you how much caffeine per can you get.

If you need energy on a regular basis, then ask yourself why and it might be your diet.
    The other thing about caffeine is that it becomes less potent the more you use it as you become tolerant. the most you should be using is 400mg a day. Take breaks to avoid the build up of tolerance.

If you are going to the gym then many people take a pre workout, but others just have a cup of coffee or take a caffeine tablet.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I drink "monster energy ultra" as a pre-workout all the time. I usually just drink half a can, but that's because I'm cheap and half does the trick. I like blue, red and white. You can get a variety pack at SAMs for a decent price. White is probably my favorite. It's a milder flavor compared to regular energy drinks (which I've always found too sweet).

If you like diet soda you'll probably like the zero calorie monsters as well. It's just a matter of finding a good flavor. The orange makes me want to vom